ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #62251
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,162
Two things I find odd about this. 1. He wasn't drunk. 2. It wasn't a lovers quarrel over a sheep. The failing brakes do scream coshocton though. And how the hell do you get up to 60 in that area of town? No e brake either? Couldn't flip the ignition off and use engine braking either?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #62252
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Two things I find odd about this. 1. He wasn't drunk. 2. It wasn't a lovers quarrel over a sheep. The failing brakes do scream coshocton though. And how the hell do you get up to 60 in that area of town? No e brake either? Couldn't flip the ignition off and use engine braking either?
That is a very steep hill; and there is no indication (that I saw in the paper) about if he was or was not drunk. Another article referenced that his license was suspended and he also had warrants out, so obviously he is a piece of shit, and very well might have been drunk or high.

I would like to address the "sheep" comment. I hear stuff like this a lot from people who make disparaging commentary about Appalachian Ohio, or KY, or WV... yet they'll be more than happy to jump on their bike and take a trip to any of those places, to drink in the natural beauty and scenic roads, and revel in the generosity and friendliness of the people that live there. It's disrespectful to make disparaging commentary in that vein and I highly doubt that anyone on here that does make that kind of commentary would have the stones to approach a total stranger in those areas and offer the same commentary to them in person.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #62253
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

And yes, I can appreciate the irony of me pointing out someone else being disrespectful!

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #62254
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
And yes, I can appreciate the irony of me pointing out someone else being disrespectful!

It's the same as country folks calling city slickers a bunch of pricks. You get both sides of the coin in those "stereotypes". I'm sure I don't have to spell out that it was tongue in cheek though.

Is this intersection closer to 541 or the north end by the college? The 541 side isn't nearly as bad. It's been about 5 years since I was in roscoe village, much less for just passing by.

Now, put the sheep down and get back to work.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #62255
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,073
Quote:
+1
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #62256
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
As far as the failing brakes thing goes, I've came across several cars that people were driving around with almost zero brake pressure. Alex's mom has a habit of that. As long as the car sorta stops with your foot all the way to the floor she will keep driving it. Ridiculous.

She wanted me to test drive one of her POS's to figure out what was wrong with it. Ended up being a wheel bearing so bad the wheel was wobbling all over the place. I made it about 3 feet in the driveway and almost ran it into another car with it when the pedal went to the floor. A grinding wheel bearing she can't stand the noise of, but Flintstone grade brakes don't bother her a bit.

This was the 3rd car of hers that she would drive like that. (that i know of anyway)
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #62257
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Hey Alan, Craig, Tim - everyone whose ever eaten at "The Warehouse" in Coshocton... might want to reassess eating on the patio...

Columbus Woman Killed, 3 Others Hurt in Roscoe Village Crash:

http://www.coshoctontribune.com/arti...-Village-crash

Damn.. When I looked at the pictures the first thing came to mind was how steep that hill is and figured that was what happened. That had to be a hell of a ride.
I had a close call last summer when the brake line on my truck blew I thought for sure I was going to T bone a car. It happened so fast I didn't have time to think about the E brake. The girl in the car gave me the WTF look and I am sure I had the O shit look. She had no idea how close she came to having a real bad day.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #62258
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Damn.. When I looked at the pictures the first thing came to mind was how steep that hill is and figured that was what happened. That had to be a hell of a ride.
I had a close call last summer when the brake line on my truck blew I thought for sure I was going to T bone a car. It happened so fast I didn't have time to think about the E brake. The girl in the car gave me the WTF look and I am sure I had the O shit look. She had no idea how close she came to having a real bad day.
Unless you train to use the e-brake I think most people would freak out and not know what to do nowadays. You have to put the cell phone down even to turn the car off so I doubt that would happen either. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #62259
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post

It's the same as country folks calling city slickers a bunch of pricks. You get both sides of the coin in those "stereotypes". I'm sure I don't have to spell out that it was tongue in cheek though.

Is this intersection closer to 541 or the north end by the college? The 541 side isn't nearly as bad. It's been about 5 years since I was in roscoe village, much less for just passing by.

Now, put the sheep down and get back to work.
I know you were kidding, it's just a pet peeve of mine. I make fun of scads of people, but I make fun of them individually, for a specific thing they are doing; and I almost always include myself in my own list of victims. I try and refrain from mocking an entire category of people based purely on a stereotype, especially when those people have never been anything but pleasant to me.

The intersection is halfway along the main street in Roscoe. It's the only stop sign on the street, a 3-way stop.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 09-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #62260
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
I would like to address the "sheep" comment. I hear stuff like this a lot from people who make disparaging commentary about Appalachian Ohio, or KY, or WV... yet they'll be more than happy to jump on their bike and take a trip to any of those places, to drink in the natural beauty and scenic roads, and revel in the generosity and friendliness of the people that live there. It's disrespectful to make disparaging commentary in that vein and I highly doubt that anyone on here that does make that kind of commentary would have the stones to approach a total stranger in those areas and offer the same commentary to them in person.

Thanks for saying that. Seriously.

I find that it is easier to hate everyone equally until they prove themselves worthy of my non-hatred.

That said, I am just as likely to have made the sheep comment myself.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #62261
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
There's an pseudo T-intersection where I grew up. Someone had the smarts to install concrete pillars to stop any cars rolling down the hill.

http://goo.gl/maps/v2K7n

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #62262
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:

A friend, who is from WV, once told me in HS that he was trying to get into his cousin's pants. She was still living in WV at the time, and we were down visiting with her family. When I told them both that screwing around with your cousin was fucked up, both said "Why?" Just a different way of life I guess. Point being that some of the commentary may have a factual basis.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #62263
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Was she hot?
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #62264
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Unless you train to use the e-brake I think most people would freak out and not know what to do nowadays. You have to put the cell phone down even to turn the car off so I doubt that would happen either. ;)
I'm not sure the e-brake would have worked. I couldn't have hurt though. They seem to be more of a parking brake than a real emergency brake now days. In my only occasion to actually have to use one, it didn't stop all that quick. It took 30-40 feet to stop, and I was only going about 30 MPH at the time in an empty F150 truck.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #62265
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Was she hot?
Yes, I thought so at the time. Though being a horny 17 YO at the time, my standards were probably pretty low.