ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #62611
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Heck, if you can get him to lower it at all it's just that much better of a deal.
As for hauling with a car, check vehicle GVW against the trailer weight. It may be a little slow on the freeway due to air resistance but it will travel. Don't forget you can make seats that allow supplies to be stored inside them. Might even be worth getting a little harbor freight 2000 watt generator to make it totally self sufficient and functional anywhere.
I'll be sure to pick up a whatever the lowest wattage generator I can get to run my stuff with a little HP left over. I've had great luck with my other harbor freight generator.
Thanks
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #62612
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Heck, if you can get him to lower it at all it's just that much better of a deal.
As for hauling with a car, check vehicle GVW against the trailer weight. It may be a little slow on the freeway due to air resistance but it will travel. Don't forget you can make seats that allow supplies to be stored inside them. Might even be worth getting a little harbor freight 2000 watt generator to make it totally self sufficient and functional anywhere.
Also, for towing with a car, check to see if you should be towing in D or knocking it down a "gear". My minivan really isn't happy in D with a trailer behind it and some transmissions don't like the extra load. If your manual isn't clear about it, you may want to find a forum for your car and see how many people have trashed their transmission by pulling a trailer.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #62613
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
And the trails at the Baby Burr were great on Sunday. A touch of rain in the afternoon made things just a bit more interesting in places.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #62614
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Also, for towing with a car, check to see if you should be towing in D or knocking it down a "gear". My minivan really isn't happy in D with a trailer behind it and some transmissions don't like the extra load. If your manual isn't clear about it, you may want to find a forum for your car and see how many people have trashed their transmission by pulling a trailer.
That's a good point. I only considered that the v6 could probly handle a little extra; I didn't consider the tranny.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #62615
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
USR 2, or maybe is was SR 220 there (can't recall), I guess. There isn't much there, we were westbound, hungry, and stopped! Not sure about New Rockford though.

Edit, no, we missed NR, we came across 200 into Carrington.
That's the beauty of it man! Ohio is completely claustrophobic to me compared to back in ND.

If you had gone into Carrington you could have taken your picture at the Chieftan

Looks like you guys had an epic time.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #62616
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
That's the beauty of it man! Ohio is completely claustrophobic to me compared to back in ND.

If you had gone into Carrington you could have taken your picture at the Chieftan...
Way too far south. I was actually born in Langdon, ND.
I was an Army kid, my Dad spent a lot of time at Grand Forks and was stationed at Stanley R. Mickelsen Complex in Nekoma. It was part of the Safeguard Program until it was decommissioned. He opened and closed it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeguard_Program

ruppster screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 12:06 PM
ruppster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #62617
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
LOL, thanks. OK, here. Click "slideshow" in the upper RH corner after hitting the link, easiest way to view them with captions:

http://meefzah.smugmug.com/Other/Sep...8353&k=ZPkSnNc
Great pics, looks like an awesome trip.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #62618
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post
That's a good point. I only considered that the v6 could probly handle a little extra; I didn't consider the tranny.
What your thinking of doing is very doable, and I think has some real potential. Hit the cowboy action shoots, Bullseye, ISPA ect. Any shooting sport event where the shooter needs to wear a holster.

My other real concern would be the brakes on the car, not many single axle trailers have brakes on them. And most midsize US cars are not that great in the whoa dept. Could lead to some real white knuckle adventures, or worse.

That's mainly why I tow our 42' 5th wheel with a T2000 Kenworth, want to be able to stop the damn thing.

Just saying, may want to up grade to an SUV, like an Explorer or some thing. Be safe, Be Happy.

Dave

Our Rig

Trapshooter screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 04:33 PM
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #62619
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
What your thinking of doing is very doable, and I think has some real potential. Hit the cowboy action shoots, Bullseye, ISPA ect. Any shooting sport event where the shooter needs to wear a holster.

My other real concern would be the brakes on the car, not many single axle trailers have brakes on them. And most midsize US cars are not that great in the whoa dept. Could lead to some real white knuckle adventures, or worse.

That's mainly why I tow our 42' 5th wheel with a T2000 Kenworth, want to be able to stop the damn thing.

Just saying, may want to up grade to an SUV, like an Explorer or some thing. Be safe, Be Happy.

Dave

Our Rig

Do you use that tractor for work the rest of the week? Nice looking rig. What engine and tranny?
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #62620
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Quote:

Dave

Our Rig

I've learned a bit recently about the dynamics of stopping a trailer. I was pulling my flatbed in the rain recently and was nearly injured or worse when I took a ramp too fast, tried to slow quickly and just slid into oncoming traffic. I learned that the weight distribution when breaking caused the front of the car (where all the stopping power is) to lift up and hydroplane me. That sucked. I'm far more cautious now.

And good idea about the shooting events. The CCW classes rock for me, but my first gun show was an epic fail. I did a Dave Grossman event (for CCW holders) this weekend and had a fantastic day of sales with 6 sold before the event even started. I sold almost as many custom (made on the spot) as pre made.

Thanks for the advice all. I'm going ahead with the trailer and will begin saving to upgrade my ride.

From Saturday:
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #62621
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Mark,

No we only tow the 5th wheel with it an what ever I need to tow for our own use that the F-250 don't like.

The KW is titled as a motorhome in Ohio, fridge, Micro wave, TV, inverter for 110, twin bunks in the sleeper, and has motorhome plates, can't tow for hire or could be big buck fine if I'm caught.

She has a 14.7 liter Detroit that flashes to 625hp and a Eaton 10 speed Auto shift with the top 2 gears over drives. 3.53 gears and 24.5" rubber, speed limiter set at 125 mph and I know she will do it. Fun truck to drive, but then I don't do it for a living, but fun to travel in.

Built the flat bed for her and haul our slightly moded 40 hp golf cart behind the sleeper, GC has a V twin Kolher that has been blue printed, ported and polished, and a roller cam, carb reworked, lift kit I built and 22" tires, the motors out of a welder and started out as a 25 hp, I built it and had to do some experimenting till it ran like I wanted it, it'll do 51 mph GPSed, it's a real blast in the sand down south in the winter.

Dave

Trapshooter screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 05:46 PM
Old 10-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #62622
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
LOL, thanks. OK, here. Click "slideshow" in the upper RH corner after hitting the link, easiest way to view them with captions:

http://meefzah.smugmug.com/Other/Sep...8353&k=ZPkSnNc

Brief summary: 6500 miles, 12 days, 18 states. Basically ran USR 2 straight west across the northern border states, with some deviations to westernly side routes, got snowed out of Glacier, ran the Columbia River Gorge both ways, hit the Pacific Ocean in Oregon, rode the PCH / USR 101 south into the top 1/3 of California, then came east, crossed Nevada on US 50, then slabbed it back home. Mid-Kansas straight home in one long freeway shot of 1100 miles. 8 days camping, 3 days motel. NX700 did great but Tim can provide more details on that.
Great pics, I haven't been on here much and didn't know you had made the trip. You take great pictures. I thought you would snowed out in GNP.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #62623
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Meef, you shot some truly awesome pics, and the quality is also very good, tell me it wasn't with your commando. Looks like youinz had a tarific time.

Dave
Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #62624
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,265
Quote:
Meef, you shot some truly awesome pics, and the quality is also very good, tell me it wasn't with your commando. Looks like youinz had a tarific time.

Dave
Thanks. Canon Elph.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #62625
somecallmetim OP
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbum View Post
As long as this is up I'd be interested in hearing how the NC 700 X did on the trip ( if possible). Thanks, Kevin
Just as a point of refrence the other bkes i have put a few miles on were a 01 fz1, 05 dr650, & 01 Guzzi Quota. I loved them all in thier own way.

I only purchased the nc over the wee strom due to price, I do think the strom is slightly better in most ways. the only advantage the nc has is mpg. I got about 5 to 10mpg better than mark on most of the trip, saving maybe $100. big.fucking.deal. They are making a nc750x for 2014...

That said, I do love the nc & intend to keep it for a good long while. I only missed the hp of my fz1 going into a 30mph headwind in montana & one foolish pass attempt on Cali rt299. I only missed the dr the 0.5% of the time we were in mud or sand. I only missed the heartbeat of the quota when i was moving instead of tighting the shifter linkage or fixing an oil leak or replacing some other part that vibrated off or not paying for premium gas...