ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #63001
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
Not the Trans Lab, but, since I went up north a few years ago, I would suggest this:

James Bay Road. http://jamesbayroad.com/
-Trans-Taiga Road - 400 miles of dirt, turn around, 400 miles back

(I didn't do the Trans Taiga).

EJ
I'm toying with doing the james bay road next year.. Not sure yet though. Might ride to Oregon instead.

Anybody have any experience with XRR's? Lately I've been thinking about getting one. It's either that or a second LC4 for strictly gravel and dirt riding. I love the power and long maintenance intervals of my LC4, but want something a little more beat up so i can explore more with less worry about trashing my supermoto. I don't want to give up the power though, I like a bike that scares me now and then.

Anybody that has ridden both, how to they compare?

Mgbgt89 screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 09:05 AM
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #63002
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I went to Canada on a long trip in July. It was cold.
I was thinking 1st week in September. The logic being it may still be relatively warm and the amount of black flies and mosquitos may be reduced. Still in the research phase though.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #63003
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/11/...yan-longstreth

Cycra Racing's Brand Manager, Ryan Longstreth killed in a motorcycle accident on Saturday.

Good guy, was at Cycra for 18 years. I had never ridden with him, but people say he was a really great rider.

He hit a deer then a pickup truck. He was not wearing a helmet.

He leaves behind a wife and daughter.

This sucks, he was a good guy. Let's not turn this into a he was stupid for not wearing a helmet thing. We all take risks, some of us manage risks in a different way than others. The vast majority of Americans think we have a deathwish just getting on a motorcycle.
Ryan was a good guy, and leaves behind a great family. I had a good talk with him about racing/ riding not too long ago when we ran into each other at a denny's.
Life is short.
Wear agatt.
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #63004
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
My ride report is up for your viewing pleasure. It's on my website, just click 2013 Wild West Ride Report.

http://www.Mikef5000.com

It's long with tons of links and picture, so make some freetime and enjoy. I'll take only positive feedback thankyouverymuch.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #63005
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
...It's either that or a second LC4 for strictly gravel and dirt riding. I love the power and long maintenance intervals of my LC4, but want something a little more beat up so i can explore more with less worry about trashing my supermoto. I don't want to give up the power though, I like a bike that scares me now and then...
CR500 & never look back.

I've been kicking around the same idea. Get rid of the WRR and the EXC & pick up a LC4 bike, maybe a 690. Seems like it could fill in for both. What kind of maintenance does the LC4 require?

Maybe I spent too much time thinking while it was raining yesterday... :)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #63006
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
My ride report is up for your viewing pleasure. It's on my website, just click 2013 Wild West Ride Report.

It's long with tons of links and picture, so make some freetime and enjoy. I'll take only positive feedback thankyouverymuch.
You took nearly the same route as I did this summer, only in reverse. Was 89 up to page Arizona opened up? There was a HUGE landslide blocking the road just north of where 89A branches off toward the grand canyon. Literally a pile of rubble hundreds of feet tall.

It was damn cold on 550 when i was there, in August, I can't imagine how cold you guys were.

Great report, awesome pictures.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #63007
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
CR500 & never look back.

I've been kicking around the same idea. Get rid of the WRR and the EXC & pick up a LC4 bike, maybe a 690. Seems like it could fill in for both. What kind of maintenance does the LC4 require?

Maybe I spent too much time thinking while it was raining yesterday... :)
Dude, A CR500 is actually on the list. I think that will check the "scare me now and then" box quite well. I want a bike that I'll eventually ride in baja, and i don't think the MPG of a 2 stroke is going to cut it.

I got sold on big bore singles when i was out west and blasting down perfect open graded gravel at speeds that would get me a ticket on the interstate, loaded with gear, with a passenger, and still had power on tap to go even faster.

The fact that i watched dust to glory last night isn't helping.

I've got something like 25K on mine, It eats chains and back tires, oil changes are more complicated than most bikes, but its a 3000 mile interval. Valve adjustments aren't too bad. Only non standard maintenance items was a counter shaft seal, and steering head bearings. It shakes, a lot. So bad i was putting a battery in it every six months because it was vibrating holes in the battery. I fixed that by wrapping the battery in rubber and changing the rubber regularly when it starts to wear out. I've ridden mine very hard, and its never let me down.

The 690's i think gain a 6th gear, which my 625 could really use.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #63008
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,032
There are some CR500s in Zanesville for sale. One is sumo'd, and the other is pretty close to orig ( with a bunch of goodies).
The secret to a CR500 is getting an APT smartcarb. That will fix the starting and jetting issues.
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #63009
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
You took nearly the same route as I did this summer, only in reverse. Was 89 up to page Arizona opened up? There was a HUGE landslide blocking the road just north of where 89A branches off toward the grand canyon. Literally a pile of rubble hundreds of feet tall.

It was damn cold on 550 when i was there, in August, I can't imagine how cold you guys were.

Great report, awesome pictures.
89 was open! But it was so freshly opened, all the road closed and detour signs were still up, we just lucked into someone mentioning it was good to go at the gas stop beforehand.

Yeah I didn't bring warm enough gear. The mountain passes were mostly all in the 30's. Most of the rest (of Colorado) was 50's though. The other states were 70's and 80's. I was thankful for the last minute decision to throw my heated vest in my pannier.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #63010
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
89 was open! But it was so freshly opened, all the road closed and detour signs were still up, we just lucked into someone mentioning it was good to go at the gas stop beforehand.

Yeah I didn't bring warm enough gear. The mountain passes were mostly all in the 30's. Most of the rest (of Colorado) was 50's though. The other states were 70's and 80's. I was thankful for the last minute decision to throw my heated vest in my pannier.
I was trying to figure out what route you took through there, from the people we talked to there was doubt as to if they would even open the road back up! From the sounds of it they didn't even bother to start clearing it yet.

Highway 12 in Utah was one of my favorite roads of the trip.

Same pulloff as your picture.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #63011
LeVeL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
I'm toying with doing the james bay road next year.. Not sure yet though. Might ride to Oregon instead.

Anybody have any experience with XRR's? Lately I've been thinking about getting one. It's either that or a second LC4 for strictly gravel and dirt riding. I love the power and long maintenance intervals of my LC4, but want something a little more beat up so i can explore more with less worry about trashing my supermoto. I don't want to give up the power though, I like a bike that scares me now and then.

Anybody that has ridden both, how to they compare?
I own a LC4 640E, and have a friend that used to have a XRR. Power wise the KTM has the advantage, but barely. The XRR makes great power and doesn't seem to shake nearly as bad, so it might be better for a really long haul. My only problem with the bike, and maybe it was his (as I have no idea of the mileage, no speedo, odo, or electric start) bike; but the suspension felt like it way over worked in almost every situation. I actually had both front forks and the rear suspension bottom out on me on separate occasions. Not fun. Brakes didn't like the high speed back roads stuff, but in the woods were fine. Bike was inexpensive to buy, required only very basic maintenance.
The LC4 (and every newer KTM) has what I think is the best suspension from the factory, brembo brakes standard. The only caveat is the shaking. I don't know if I could do a trans american ride on it.

All that being said, I'm still thinking of selling my bike. Granted I want to sell it to one of you all so I can buy it back in a year when I regret doing so....
LeVeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #63012
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeVeL View Post
...All that being said, I'm still thinking of selling my bike. Granted I want to sell it to one of you all so I can buy it back in a year when I regret doing so....
Maybe you should just long term loan it out to Mgbgt89 and I until you decide? He'll keep it busy up north, I'll keep it busy down south. Maybe one of us will even fix the lights, I think I have some spare rear ones floating around in the garage.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #63013
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:

Top notch man! I read it all between this morning and my meal break at work tonight.

You hit some of the same stuff that Tim and I hit in 2005:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193623

Listen, we want to go back too, but on the 250s. What do you say? Any interest in 7+ days this summer, Moab, the Colorado Passes, all that good shit?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #63014
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Top notch man! I read it all between this morning and my meal break at work tonight.

Listen, we want to go back too, but on the 250s. What do you say? Any interest in 7+ days this summer, Moab, the Colorado Passes, all that good shit?
I might be up for that.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #63015
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

Dang! I hadnt read that report. Denver to ohio straight through. . I thought I was a bad ass. You guys are fucking awesome. I think I know the Sinclair station you slept at, Alex said it was the most beautiful gas station view she's ever seen.