ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #67096
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Avery's Maharaja was the Imp IPA that ruined me for good a few years back; I still rotate it in to my fridge a couple times a year.

Speaking of beasts, I have a bottle of DH 120 MIN from the last batch of 2013 still waiting for an appropriate occasion to crack... As this one is also a palate wrecker/day-ender, I'm thinking I will need a fellow 'apprecionado' to assist me in consumption... Perhaps after a long ride, at a campfire... ahhh, yes... :)

Sent from my HTC One phone using Tapatalk.
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #67097
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Flint Ridge DS Recap:
It was only muddy where there was dirt. Honestly it dried out some during the ride and was reasonable, but I am really glad I spooned a new Trakmaster on yesterday. One of the riders struggled a bit, a worn rear tire didn't help matters.
Only ended up riding the "A" loop due to time constraints and frankly being a bit tired. Rode the Enduro sections, no easy bypasses.
Met and finished the loop with a guy about my age named Ted. Said he used to be on the forum some.
First time I have ever rode in tight woods like that, it is a lot different that abandoned roads or even Hatfield McCoy.
I now understand the idea of wrestling a big bore 4T through tight woods when muddy. It is quite a chore keeping the front wheel out front and keeping the rear from trying to pass.
The 450 is geared a little too high for that terrain. It idles about 15mph in 1st with the stock gearing. I ended up slipping the clutch a lot, will definitely look at gearing it down some.
Of course it was a well ran, well marked event. Licking County Riders (John's group) is awesome at putting on events.
All in all it was a lot of fun. If I get in the woods some more for practice, I may try an Enduro this fall.

Only pics I took:

ruppster screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 04:59 PM
ruppster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #67098
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Flint Ridge DS Recap:
It was only muddy where there was dirt. Honestly it dried out some during the ride and was reasonable, but I am really glad I spooned a new Trakmaster on yesterday. One of the riders struggled a bit, a worn rear tire didn't help matters.
Only ended up riding the "A" loop due to time constraints and frankly being a bit tired. Rode the Enduro sections, no easy bypasses.
Met and finished the loop with a guy about my age named Ted. Said he used to be on the forum some.
First time I have ever rode in tight woods like that, it is a lot different that abandoned roads or even Hatfield McCoy.
I now understand the idea of wrestling a big bore 4T through tight woods when muddy. It is quite a chore keeping the front wheel out front and keeping the rear from trying to pass.
The 450 is geared a little too high for that terrain. It idles about 15mph in 1st with the stock gearing. I ended up slipping the clutch a lot, will definitely look at gearing it down some.
Of course it was a well ran, well marked event. Licking County Riders (John's group) is awesome at putting on events.
All in all it was a lot of fun. If I get in the woods some more for practice, I may try an Enduro this fall.

Only pics I took:

I'm glad you had a good time. Now you probably know why I'm always breathing heavy in my videos. It's a great workout for sure...lol

Sorry I didn't make it over. My shoulder is still hurting like hell. Percocets help some but I'm going to call doctor tomorrow and try to push them to hurry this process along. I'm waiting right now on a referral from Orthopedic doc to go see a Neurosurgeon. It's been a week so far and I've heard nothing... :(
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #67099
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Flint Ridge DS Recap: One of the riders struggled a bit, a worn rear tire didn't help matters.
That is a major understatement. Sorry I held you guys up today and really appreciate you and Meef making sure I made it out of the woods. I was a much tougher ride then I expected. The less than fresh tire didn't help but I really need to get in better shape if I am going to continue to ride these type of events. Didn't really get any good pics from the helmet cam today. Here's one of you dropping into a small water crossing.
Benly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #67100
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post
That is a major understatement. Sorry I held you guys up today and really appreciate you and Meef making sure I made it out of the woods...
No problem, that's what's cool about people on this site, no one gets upset waiting or helping when needed.
It was muddier at first than I expected, too. I had a lot of sliding around on the first trail section, stopped and let some air out of the rear tire. Started with 21psi, probably down to about 16psi, that really helped.
To be honest being behind all the traffic worked better for me anyway. None of that passing/getting passed/losing momentum game.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #67101
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I'm glad you had a good time. Now you probably know why I'm always breathing heavy in my videos. It's a great workout for sure...lol
Only noticed being out of breath once or twice while helping my bike up over a couple places, cardiovascular is in pretty good shape. My shoulders and legs were getting tired, though.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #67102
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Well I get tired from picking the bike up! ;). 50 lb lighter KTM helps a bunch though.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 09:43 PM
Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #67103
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,128
The B loop was the easier of the 2, we did it 1st. By the time we did the A loop it was very rutted up and the sippy holes were swallowing bikes. 4 of our group quit when one got his lip pierced by tree branch. He rode back and 3 others bailed with him.

I rode the 250XC and glad I did. It sucks as an Adv dual sport but rocks as a true dual sport.

Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #67104
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
The B loop was the easier of the 2, we did it 1st. By the time we did the A loop it was very rutted up and the sippy holes were swallowing bikes. 4 of our group quit when one got his lip pierced by tree branch. He rode back and 3 others bailed with him.

I rode the 250XC and glad I did. It sucks as an Adv dual sport but rocks as a true dual sport.

Michael
You were there? WhereTF were you? I just assumed you were not riding. You come down with Tom Coffee and them? I didn't see him either....

Nathan: Ted = (in a former life) Teddo on this site

I also only rode the A loop. I couldn't get into the groove of the trails, they were either stupid greasy or really dry. There was no "perfect surface". On the really greasy sections I absolutely could not keep my tires clean and was sliding everywhere. I rode one or two of the enduro loops but that one with the steep creek crossing and the several logs right after the "S" curve on the hill fucking wore my ass out, so I stuck with the green loops after that. By the time I was done it was 2:00 and I was pretty beat, and didn't think I had the time or the energy to do the second loop. I loaded up, went to City BBQ, had my lunch, and hauled ass home. About half way home I figured out, in part, why I was so fucking exhausted: I had worked all night and was on zero sleep. I had forgotten about that while riding, but my performance definitely suffered.

I actually recalled about half the sections from prior years, and I swear, I thought it was easier on the WRR in prior years.

Good to ride with you Nathan and Eric.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 AM   #67105
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

Michael
We were the end of the first wave and the holes were getting deep. The 450 powered through them, though. That's why it looks like it did. We noticed the B loop riders didn't look quite as muddy.

The 2T KTMs were definitely well represented at the event. If they are more nimble and lighter it is easy to understand why. There was a section just after the halfway point of the A loop that had some trails that were a bit more open and great on the 450. The tight stuff is just wrestling, my being a novice doesn't help any.

ruppster screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 06:09 AM
ruppster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #67106
barbwire44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
LTR did a great job with this event, well marked, well layed out, and a good lunch to refuel before the second loop. Going to add this one to the calendar each year.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #67107
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
For those of you getting exhausted on DS rides, I will share with you my friends less than secret recipe which I have used with great success. Don't put water in you camelbak. To give you a little extra boost as the day wears on, two quarts of orange gatorade + a pint or more of redbull. This assumes you have at least am 80 oz bladder on your back. I'm sure you can mix other concoctions up of a similar nature, but gatorade works and the extra kick of an energy drink can work wonders. Have a banana for breakfast and throw one in your pack for lunch or a snack to help avoid muscle pain / cramps too. A couple large doses of ibuprofin in your pack just in case is a good idea as well. You too can ride beyond the limits which your lack of fitness is trying to enforce upon you.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #67108
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
For those of you getting exhausted on DS rides, I will share with you my friends less than secret recipe which I have used with great success. Don't put water in you camelbak. To give you a little extra boost as the day wears on, two quarts of orange gatorade + a pint or more of redbull. This assumes you have at least am 80 oz bladder on your back. I'm sure you can mix other concoctions up of a similar nature, but gatorade works and the extra kick of an energy drink can work wonders. Have a banana for breakfast and throw one in your pack for lunch or a snack to help avoid muscle pain / cramps too. A couple large doses of ibuprofin in your pack just in case is a good idea as well. You too can ride beyond the limits which your lack of fitness is trying to enforce upon you.
Great advice. I've been using those electrolyte additives like MIO or Walmart Great Value brand with my pack and 5 hour energy that way you can refill at lunch with water and add the stuff to it as they easily fit in your pack. My camelbak bladder make water taste like plastic if I don't add flavoring. :(

indypup screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 02:43 PM
Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #67109
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
For those of you getting exhausted on DS rides, I will share with you my friends less than secret recipe which I have used with great success...
I have a stomach virus today, I think it may have been more than fatigue.

Wondered why I was feeling tired yesterday. I was riding 70-100 mile mountain bike rides just a few years ago, just started back to 50+ mile weeks of mixed riding. Half of it towing my daughter on a trail a bike.

I eat lots of bananas. Nothing but water in my Camelbak just due to cleaning. I'll carry a Gatorade if I need to.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #67110
SquidRavioli
Beer Snob

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumgrinder View Post
Avery's Maharaja was the Imp IPA that ruined me for good a few years back; I still rotate it in to my fridge a couple times a year.

Speaking of beasts, I have a bottle of DH 120 MIN from the last batch of 2013 still waiting for an appropriate occasion to crack... As this one is also a palate wrecker/day-ender, I'm thinking I will need a fellow 'apprecionado' to assist me in consumption... Perhaps after a long ride, at a campfire... ahhh, yes... :)

Sent from my HTC One phone using Tapatalk.
I'm sitting on the same bottle of 120 Minute. I bought two bottles at a bar at the UK campus, I drank the first bottle when we brought our 2 month old home back in March. Not sure when I will open up number 2.
SquidRavioli is offline   Reply With Quote