Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
pistol777
Freedom Seeker

Oddometer: 323
You got me drooling . I need a Mexico fix. Beautiful Pics and trip.
pistol777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #17
gothamAlp OP
happy to be here

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakatan
If I read your report correctly, you only spent one night down south (?) -- what was the round-trip mileage from AZ?
total mileage was 1068. left weds at noon, returned saturday at noon. first night at the campsite in why. second night on the beach. friday night at casa rogue scout in anthem.
gothamAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
gothamAlp OP
happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog
You didn't mention freezing your digits off getting off the mountain and back up it again?
the ride down weds afternoon was fine. heated vest and winter gloves did the trick.

the ride up, saturday late morning was BRUTAL. more because of the wind than the cold. i normally hit reserve at 150 miles on the TA. coming up the hill into the wind that morning i hit it at 120, by far the lowest mileage i've ever gotten. and the gusts were just nasty; i was glad to get home.

then i went to FAC and sat in the jacuzzi for 45 minutes to get the feeling back in my fingers and toes.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #19
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,522
enviable. very nice!
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #20
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,149
Nice Report, looks like you had a great ride and had some good Thanksgiving grub. Too bad you got crabs while you were there. And I can't believe you rode up the hill on Saturday, man that wind was bad.

FlagRS
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #21
Hltoppr
GS Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
So jealous.....

-H-

2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure
Overland Certified
www.OverlandTraining.com
Hltoppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #22
Buck in Flagstaff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Great trip report. That Translap made it all the way down and back with only a few parts falling off? Dang impressive.

When you gonna go ride dirtbikes with us? Supposed to rain and snow this weekend!

I'll go with you one of these days on a trip. Hilslamer says he'll loan me his KTM demo for a long weekend....
Buck in Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #23
charliemik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Might as well join all the Flagstaff boys chiming in here. So there I was, scrolling through the photos and I see Gary and Roberta's smiling faces. I had Thanksgiving dinner with Roberta's son and he was telling me about their camping trip to Mexico. Small world, eh?

charliemik screwed with this post 11-27-2007 at 07:41 AM
charliemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #24
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
This TR is one of the reasons I left my TAlp in St. George, UT after last weekend. Mexico sounds good in the middle of winter but the ride from N. Utah and 4-5 hours south can be miserable. Hopefully I'll make it back in the next few weeks and head south on the TA. More reason to do it now after riding this TR!
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #25
D3V1L6
nOobIeSt

Oddometer: 20
Looks like good times!!! Sure beats the snow and -22F weather we got up here.
D3V1L6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #26
SgtNapalm
ADV'er

Oddometer: 279
Laugh

Cool report, what a nice beach and place for a camp site. You got some real heavy duty panniers on that Transalp. Nice shots.
-SGT
Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #27
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3V1L6
Looks like good times!!! Sure beats the snow and -22F weather we got up here.
Jebus! I was going to complain about having to look at grass roofed huts when it's +20F out, and then you come along and make Montana sound like Mexico.

Anybody know if there's an Adventure Cribbage web site out there anywhere? This hobby sucks ... in the winter. To many of you FFs still out there playing around.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #28
Base Camp
I gotta buy a vowel

Oddometer: 27
Very Nice! Andrew told me today at Late for the Train, you were in Mexico over Thanksgiving. It better snow soon so I don't feel bad about parking my bike for the last couple of weeks.

Base Camp screwed with this post 11-27-2007 at 03:05 PM
Base Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #29
gothamAlp OP
happy to be here

epilogue

in conclusion i want to say that i feel fortunate to live in a place where shooting down to mexico for a few days is a viable, spur-of-the-moment option.

as former denizen of gotham city, i know that's nothing to sneeze at.

secondly, a final thought on the pura vida that is mexico.

i had more than a couple people raise an eyebrow when i told them i was going to mexico, off the beaten track, by myself. "is that safe?" "don't you know that so-and-so had a gun pulled on them?" etc. etc.

and while i know that shit happens, especially close to the border, and where gringos congregate, here's a little anecdote that sums up my experience of la gente mexicana in a nutshell.

when i got to the end of the pavement on the road to puerto lobos, the dirt road split off in two directions. there was no sign. i was pretty sure that the turn-off to puerto lobos was on the left, but i decided to wait for a few minutes to make sure. just as i was taking my helmet off, a car pulled up and i asked the driver which way i needed to go. he confirmed that i needed to go left.

i started putting my helmet back on and a pick-up truck pulled up, with a young man driving, and an older man in the passenger seat. probably father and son. i waived them on, but they pulled to a stop and the old man rolled his window down.

"is there a problem," he asked.

"no," i said. "i was only asking the way to puerto lobos."

"that's where we are going also."

"perfect," i said. "i'll follow you."

and they pulled away. the road was very dusty, so i gave them a good head start, and then i followed. and i lost sight of them.

then, on one of the stretches where i was having too much fun, i passed them. shortly after that, when the going got a little rougher, they passed me again. and i didn't think i would see them again.

a little while later, i realized that something was loose and clanging about and that's when i stopped to reattach the license plate. i dug out some tools, and found a spare washer in my tankbag and then i took some pictures and drank some water.

i got on the bike again and got closer to to puerto lobos. again in the hills just above the sea i stopped twice to take pictures.

as i began my final descent into puerto lobos, i had a feeling that the father and son would come back to check on me. and sure enough, a couple of miles outside of town, there was their pick-up truck heading my way.

as soon as they saw me they stopped and made a 3-point u-turn. i pulled up alongside of them.

"did you have a problem?" asked the old man.

"no, i just took some pictures." i replied. "where you worried about me?"

the old man shrugged, and laughed at the same time. "bienvenido in puerto lobos," he said. then he rolled up his window and they drove off.

how often does that happen here in the good ol' us of a?

how often do we do that for foreigners travelling alone in our country?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #30
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Amen, brother. I, too, love it down there. Gonna be heading south again next month on the Tiger.

Great report; I am now counting the days 'til I do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamAlp
in conclusion i want to say that i feel fortunate to live in a place where shooting down to mexico for a few days is a viable, spur-of-the-moment option.

as former denizen of gotham city, i know that's nothing to sneeze at.

secondly, a final thought on the pura vida that is mexico.

i had more than a couple people raise an eyebrow when i told them i was going to mexico, off the beaten track, by myself. "is that safe?" "don't you know that so-and-so had a gun pulled on them?" etc. etc.

and while i know that shit happens, especially close to the border, and where gringos congregate, here's a little anecdote that sums up my experience of la gente mexicana in a nutshell.

when i got to the end of the pavement on the road to puerto lobos, the dirt road split off in two directions. there was no sign. i was pretty sure that the turn-off to puerto lobos was on the left, but i decided to wait for a few minutes to make sure. just as i was taking my helmet off, a car pulled up and i asked the driver which way i needed to go. he confirmed that i needed to go left.

i started putting my helmet back on and a pick-up truck pulled up, with a young man driving, and an older man in the passenger seat. probably father and son. i waived them on, but they pulled to a stop and the old man rolled his window down.

"is there a problem," he asked.

"no," i said. "i was only asking the way to puerto lobos."

"that's where we are going also."

"perfect," i said. "i'll follow you."

and they pulled away. the road was very dusty, so i gave them a good head start, and then i followed. and i lost sight of them.

then, on one of the stretches where i was having too much fun, i passed them. shortly after that, when the going got a little rougher, they passed me again. and i didn't think i would see them again.

a little while later, i realized that something was loose and clanging about and that's when i stopped to reattach the license plate. i dug out some tools, and found a spare washer in my tankbag and then i took some pictures and drank some water.

i got on the bike again and got closer to to puerto lobos. again in the hills just above the sea i stopped twice to take pictures.

as i began my final descent into puerto lobos, i had a feeling that the father and son would come back to check on me. and sure enough, a couple of miles outside of town, there was their pick-up truck heading my way.

as soon as they saw me they stopped and made a 3-point u-turn. i pulled up alongside of them.

"did you have a problem?" asked the old man.

"no, i just took some pictures." i replied. "where you worried about me?"

the old man shrugged, and laughed at the same time. "bienvenido in puerto lobos," he said. then he rolled up his window and they drove off.

how often does that happen here in the good ol' us of a?

how often do we do that for foreigners travelling alone in our country?
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote