User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Kbdakar set in motion...

Hello inmates, today I left Atlanta to begin the TAT.
I began in Atlanta a rode up 129 in GA to 294 in NC then 68 into Tellico Plains TN.
I plan to ride for 2 or 3 weeks and at least start the Trans America Trail then who knows from there.

I would like to give a big thank you to Wes Burden of Apex Cycle Shop. He went above and beyond to get my BMW ready for the trip. So check out his website and get your BMW or Ducati over to him!

http://www.apexcycleshop.com/Welcome.html

The beginning...

Now...

Kbdakar screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 04:40 PM Reason: More pics
Kbdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

First night done, great little cabin in Tellico Plains. Beer, food from Kats(see above) and repacking my junk. Ready for tomorrow.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 722
Great start Kbdakar, have an awesome journey!

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Thank you, poolman. It's been great so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Great start Kbdakar, have an awesome journey!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Whoa

OK, today was... well it kicked my ass/amazing.
I got up at 5AM and began to repack my gear. I packed way too much stuff so I will need to address that over the next few days, in the mean time I bought another compression sack and dry bag to cover the overflow...

It took me like 20 minutes to find the begining of the TAT, I kept passing it. Keep in mind I am only using Sams roll charts NO GPS. His charts are good but I second guessed them too much so I back tracked a good bit.

By 8 am I had already done 3 water crossings with a couple more to come.
1st mistake...Do not attempt to cross these at a high speed as I did, 20mph.
2nd my top of the line Rev'it Gortex gear is useless when all the vents are open DUH! I got soaked.
All in all the water crossings were not too bad, I thought I was going to lose it on one that was deep and had a long ridge of rock running throught it. Bang my self up, threw the bike around and made it soaking wet. I did cross the same river a few times to get camera shots so that added to my moisture problem.

The first 10 miles or so is pretty rough, at least on a big bike. A dual sport or enduro would be better suited. Lots of big rock that tossed me around. About 20 miles in and my confidence was a little too high. I was pushing 50+mph on the gravel. The roads could handle it for the most part but I did scare myself more than a few times, stepping the back out at high speed. I am glad that most of the gnarly rock and larger river crossings were early on since my strength and spirit were greater then.

I played around and deviated from the route a few times to check out small towns and find food.
I wound up in Fayetteville TN tonight and I am pretty worn out.
My plan is to make MS tomorrow but it is about 200+ miles and that's a good long day on the trails.
Today I did about 230 miles and yesterday was 170 or so.

Now Pics!

Leaving Tellico Plains TN around 7:30 AM

Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Kbdakar, careful second guessing Sam's roll charts! Things could get interesting for you. If you don't have a resetable odo it will require a lot of attention to find the turns and go the right way. I used the roll charts, and they are both fun and accurate, but if I didn't have a good odo that could be corrected every several turns to stay in synch with Sam's mileage, it would have made the trip very difficult. Keep your eyes peeled, and have a great time!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Thanks blaisew, Sams charts have been spot on. I just have never used a roll chart and since I didn't study my maps all that well it's tough to know some of the turns since most of the roads have no signage. My odo seems pretty close to the charts.

So far so good, I had to turn around a few times but nothing major. It is an Adventure right!
I look forward to tomrrow. I hope to make around Savannah TN then MS on Saturday.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Another great day, TN complete and ready for MS tomorrow.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,222
Good to see someone tripping about on an airhead. Krauser and BMW panniers had a bad habit of making a run for it if they weren`t tied down, maybe a strap over each one may save you a bit of grief later on.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
Good to see someone tripping about on an airhead. Krauser and BMW panniers had a bad habit of making a run for it if they weren`t tied down, maybe a strap over each one may save you a bit of grief later on.

Oh yeah, Gotta love the Airhead. It is the perfect bike, but I still need the other 4...
I am toasting these bags, they are over weight and over stuffed and getting a workout, I'm waiting for falure. These are better suited to hold and extra jacket or a blanket, with tools and water in them I think they are gonna fall off at any time.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Update

Today was a big day, I rode over 350 miles from TN to MS and now I'm in AR. 12 hours on the bike. I'm tired, sore, and badly needing a beer. So after pushing it too far today I arrive in a DRY county with NO beer for 35 miles.

I have been defeated.
Today 1
Me 0

I am too exhausted to write a full detail but I will catch up tomorrow. In 6 hours I get up to do it all again.

Mississippi was pretty cool, very nice gravel and dirt roads that suited me well but still made for a challenge. That is until I hit the HORRIBLE SAND!!!!! It was wetish too and that sucked. I was thrown around hard and about came down on my leg enough times to take me down a notch. Teaser pics for now...

Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
thanks

Thanks for posting this RR. Talked to family back in the Rockies, and it is already snowing, so if you are planning on going over some passes, you may want to reroute your trip. Don't know how high the pass crossings are on the TAT, but it has definitely started snowing already. Good luck on your trip.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Snow who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanrider View Post
Thanks for posting this RR. Talked to family back in the Rockies, and it is already snowing, so if you are planning on going over some passes, you may want to reroute your trip. Don't know how high the pass crossings are on the TAT, but it has definitely started snowing already. Good luck on your trip.

Thanks for the warning, I really want to go into Colorado though... I will not be on the TAT in Colorado. I may just pop up into the southern end for a day.

I appreciate the luck, so far this has been an eye opening experience that has made me reconsider a lot of things. I am so glad that I just did it without much thought, it has lead me to many beautiful places and people...
Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Today I left Arkansas to northern Oklahoma. I went north through the Ozarks to avoid the bad weather rapidly hunting me down. So far so good. It was cold up in the mountians but very pretty, the past two days have been overcast and that's a nice change of pace after a long hot summer.

Northern Arkansas was great! I stopped of in Eureka Springs and that is a great little town. I had no idea how much of a biker destination it was.

Side note: 1995 BMW R100 GS Paris Dakar = Best Bike Ever!
I had recently bought this bike and well... Never riden it before this trip asided from a quik one hour around town.
It has been a dream in every terrain, great offroad with like 80lbs in crap strapped on it's back, cruising at 75mph is good even with knobbies. Plus everyone loves it!

I was a bit sad to leave Paige behind, my bike is the only one she's ever been on...maybe I'll go back to Arkansas.

Larry of Arkansas Adventure Rider. Super nice guy, BMW enthusiast he hooked me up with some local gravel maps.

And my well deserved beer...
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Kbdakar OP
Adventurer

Time to catch up...I'm in Colorado now.

Northern Oklahoma has been the best riding I have seen ever! The scenery is beautiful and the land is seemingly never ending.

I was able to ride 65-70 MPH on the gravel for a long time. It was awesome.

The downside was no gas or food for what felt like forever. I did like the isolation though.

THERE WERE LIKE 1000000000000 OF THESE ON THE ROAD......