Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #136
Bitt
Wanderlusting

Oddometer: 691
Talking Wow! I guess you really had to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
Bitt!

Leo!
This must be the dramatic pause!

Really enjoying the report - Thanks for putting it together.

Take your time ....I have all winter......

I think he stepped out for a quick ....

Bitt screwed with this post 12-03-2007 at 10:24 PM
Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #137
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Come on Bob, don't leave us stranded like this. Give us the rest of the story.....or at least a little bit.

kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 AM   #138
jsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I have spent a lot of time in Mazatlan. One of my favorite Mexican cities. The pople there are the greatest. I remember driving a van full of customers once down the main drag there on the way to catch the ferry. I passed about 10 people olong the 7 mile run that I knew. My customers were amazed that in a city of nearly a million people were waving and yelling at me as I drove by. The response from one in a letter sent to the office was," John seems to know every body in Mexico and their dogs too" Only in Mazatlan. I even to cook in a restaruant there briefly.
Go to Mazatlan where the days just fly by. Where good tacos abound on Taco Row. And maybe the best looking women in Mexico.
Fiddle player
Fry Cook
jsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #139
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,415
The Spanish Teacher of Durango

I don't know about you, but I'm trying to learn all the spanish that I can.

True, I had high school spanish. I had college spanish.

But from those courses, I didn't remember much.

Times have changed.

I don't consider myself fluent yet, even though Alejo thinks I am on my way.

But the major difference between the academic classroom and now has been, IMHO, seizing the opportunity to speak the language with anybody willing to converse.

Credo: I learn more from making mistakes and being corrected than trying to be right the first time before I speak.

In all of these cities and in all of my travels in Mexico, I will be off from the group hacking my way through my spanish, talking to anyone about anything.

I have arrived at the point, I believe, that I can get the idea inside my head across on almost any subject.

Except perhaps quantum physics.

Slabbing in Texas or Mexico, I'm always riding with the IPOD and a pair of Etymotic Research ER-6 Isolator earbuds...

I've got books on tape loaded (I listened to the story of Google on the way from San Antonio through El Paso to Arizona), music loaded, and definitey this:

Pimsleur spanish I, II, and III. Thats 90 half hour lessons that I am going through a second time now.

At the same time, I highly recommend a basic grammer primer, to help you understand the "why" behind the "what" you are hearing on the Pimsleur.

I used this:

I have an entire galaxy of spanish resource materials, some from Amazon, some from Borders, but nothing has worked like the above two resources put together.

Nothing, that is, except using spanish here in San Antonio and on the road in Mexico.

Now, I introduce you to my spanish tutor in Durango,

Ingrid...

Ingrid works as an ultrasound tech in a hospital in Durango.

The gang was headed out for pizza, and she was having dinner in the hotel restuarant after working.

She asked where we had been and where we were going, .... a very outgoing person.

Ingrid had a lot of questions about motorcycle travel in her native Mexico, so I skipped pizza and sat for two hours talking my way through spanish the best that I could.

She should be a spanish tutor in addition to a hospital tech, because she seemed to naturally adjust her level of spanish and pacing to that which I could understand. She listened, talked, and gently corrected the mistakes I was making in the language...

After talking with her, I felt like I had been through an intense language immersion course. You have to get out and practice the language!

The time flew by, and the gang returned from dinner, and we all had a new friend in Mexico.

The cathedral in Durango.......

More motociclista events in Mexico - they're all over the place!

This is Danielle, who was advertising a phone service near the plaza. I asked to take her photo, and she happily obliged, but she always insisted on striking a pose.....

The town square.......

Not sure who or what this guy is/was, but he didn't want to talk spanish, all he did was bounce up and down and wave. Not speaking was probably in his contract...

The day dawned another bright blue, crisp, perfect day...

I stuffed the boxes with my gear, and we made our way out of Durango for Hidalgo del Parral

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-04-2007 at 10:41 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #140
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Crashing in Mexico - a Primer

This was the Monday of the second week of the trip through Mexico.

We were out of Durango, almost all the way to Hildalgo del Parral. We were at the tip of the arrow in this pic, basically near the border between the state of Durango and the state of Chihuahua.....

We had passed through some more spactacular scenery:

Stopped for breaks..

Get some nice in the mirror pics (U.K. Pete):

Bike pics, especially when Alejo couldn't stop smiling since he was riding..

Obliged when some students wanted to try out the bike..

Had fun on all the topes:

I was ahead of the group, scouting for the turnoff to Canutillo, one of the homes of Pancho Villa, near Parral...

Suddenly a guy in a pickup stops and says that somebody back down the road had crashed on a motorcycle. I didn't know what to think. A little bit of fear was rising that this could be bad.

I reversed direction to find out what had happened...

Colorado Karen last remembered sliding in slow motion and watching her bike slide beside her.

The accident scene, with the Motodiscovery trailer pulled up shortly after it happened. One of the many D.R.C.s (decreasing radius curves) in Mexico that you can have fun on...

I've ridden with Karen and her husband; they have a lot of miles behind them and they know how to pilot a motorcycle.

But today, she thought she remembered hitting a rock in the curve....and that's all it took.

The blessing was that she slid off the highway into the grass, where there were no rocks or posts...

The bike, however, slid into a highway post engine block first, and cracked the block, spewing oil over everything, including Karen..

Fortunatley Karen was wearing her full-face helmet and a jacket. The slide did tear a hole on the knee..

The bike was probably toast due to the cracked block, plus it had a lot of torn plastic...

Bruce, Alejo and Canada Dave I help get the bike on the trailer, giving company to Dave's Harley, which was lonely all by itself. Bruce and Alejo are as professional as it comes when things stop going as planned

Colorado Karen was a trooper, and shook the whole thing off. We were all so thankful her bike hit the post and not her. If the situation was different, we might have had a big problem.

When I got home after this trip, I put together my own medical kit.

Compression bandages of different sizes
Scissors
Betadyne
Wound wash
Wraps
Sterile gloves

There are probably more things I should carry on the bike, so I'm all if anyone has suggestions.

We all had Medex or Medjet Assist, by the way, but fortunately didn't need it in this case. But if Karen needed it, she had it.

Its motorcycling. Accidents can happen. Sometimes far away. If you didn't have a Motodiscovery van pulling up behind you, what would you do?

This isn't a go or no-go question at all, just a rhetorical question for planning purposes.

The answer, for me, is to factor the risks into your planning, and go anyway.

Its part of the reason its called adventure riding.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #141
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitt
Take your time ....I have all winter......
Dan

- Winter? Where? Is it winter somewhere???
??????????

Its nice and toasty in San Antonio....

Plus I can be in Mexico in about 4 hours!!

...Not trying to rub it in Dan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc
Come on Bob, don't leave us stranded like this. Give us the rest of the story.....or at least a little bit.

Kenny

Sorry dude, its just that I'm getting ready to blast to NYC and Connecticut at the end of this week.

Also been on the phone talking to several people about a small group going it without an itinerary into Mexico and perhaps Guatemala in January.

Antigua Guatemala has some great spanish language schools in addition to being surrounded by three extinct volcanos.

My next trip into Mexico is going to have only a general idea of where to go, and we'll make the choice over dinner the night before or breakfast that day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons

I have spent a lot of time in Mazatlan. One of my favorite Mexican cities.

The response from one in a letter sent to the office was," John seems to know every body in Mexico and their dogs too" Only in Mazatlan.
John!

You have one of the best side-gigs known - to be able to tour Mexico and get paid for it! (But, you guys earn your money and put on a first class operation).
Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #142
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
Note to self - "add 1st aid kit to bike for Mexico trip."
Old 12-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #143
SgtNapalm
ADV'er

Oddometer: 279
Thumb

Great Ride Report trice, Too bad for the mishaps though. Real cool pictures in your travels, looking forward for more!
-SGT
Old 12-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #144
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,474
"Miss ... you are outrunning your line of sight. Please slow down on the turns; it is hard to spot the debris ... "

Famoust last words that I told her before she crashed.

Before that "Don't just stand there in the middle of the road!!!! ... MOVE out of the WAY" ... well ... after that too.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #145
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
I don't know about you, but I'm trying to learn all the spanish that I can...

Now, I introduce you to my spanish tutor in Durango,

Ingrid...

After talking with her, I felt like I had been through an intense language immersion course. You have to get out and practice the language!

The time flew by, and the gang returned from dinner, and we all had a new friend in Mexico.

Yeah, right. Did your wife see these pictures? I guess you are not allowed to travel to Durango again, are you?

Quote:
Not sure who or what this guy is/was, but he didn't want to talk spanish, all he did was bounce up and down and wave. Not speaking was probably in his contract...

What do you mean you don't know who that is? You don't know Dr. Simi? Ingrid didn't tell you about him? She probably knows him well, that's where you get your medicinas genéricas.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #146
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtNapalm
Great Ride Report trice, Too bad for the mishaps though. Real cool pictures in your travels, looking forward for more!
-SGT
Gracias Sarge, igualmente!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Note to self - "add 1st aid kit to bike for Mexico trip."
Still not sure its complete enough. Gwen would know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
....Please slow down on the turns; it is hard to spot the debris ... "
Good advice for everyone

Although its hard not to hit the twisties hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
You don't know Dr. Simi? ....that's where you get your medicinas genéricas.
Ah, that's where you can get Supradol for the medical kit, I suppose
Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #147
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
Señor Bob, se me olvido preguntarle - ¿en que hotel se quedaron en Durango? ¿Lo recomendaría?

Gracias,

Gustavo

Gustavo screwed with this post 12-04-2007 at 07:58 PM
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #148
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
¿en que hotel se quedaron en Durango?
Hotel Gobernador, queda en la av. de viente de Noviembre, cerca del centro

Quote:
¿Lo recomendaría?
Cómodo y tranquilo, pero bastante caro.

PM Envió separado

Roberto Loco

Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #149
meck13
Esq.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
When I got home after this trip, I put together my own medical kit.

Compression bandages of different sizes
Scissors
Betadyne
Wound wash
Wraps
Sterile gloves

There are probably more things I should carry on the bike, so I'm all if anyone has suggestions.
I also carry "butterfly bandages" so if you are more then 45 mins from medical help you can close a bad gash. I have two that I patched up myself and when I got to the medical treatment they looked it over and gave me a tetanus shot. I also carry some kind of diarrhea medication as well as a few lomotil tablets. Looks pretty complete to me.

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
meck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #150
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

The Day of the Lost

After making sure Karen was OK, and after both of the broken bikes were keeping each other company on the trailer, we did make the turnoff to Canutillo to visit one of the headquarters of Pancho Villa..

Google Blurb: Francisco Villa negotiated a peace with interim Mexican President Adolfo De la Huerta and signed the Manifesto a la Nación at Hacienda Tlahualilo in La Laguna Comarca on 31 August 1920. In September he and 350-400 of his soldiers, along with their families, moved to La Purísima Concepción de El Canutillo, a former hacienda of the family of don José María Jurado. Villa purchased the ex-hacienda at a cost of 636,000 Mexican gold pesos.

Just make sure that when YOU go, you don't go on a Monday, because that is the day it's closed!

You can learn more about Canutillo here if you are planning to be near Hidalgo del Parral and wish to make the short ride out to see his hacienda:

http://ojinaga.com/canutillo/

While waiting for dinner at the restaurant that night, I had my paints with me and knocked out a quick oil on canvas of Alejo:

Pretty much everybody wanted a t-bone that night...

Pancho himself heard about the crash and all of the trouble back down the road near his hacienda. Proving that he's quite the guy, he came out to visit the gang at the hotel in Hidalgo del Parral...

Pancho rides. He said if he was to get another motorcycle he's seriously have to look at the GS.

He looked a little thin and had a frozen smile, but we all thought he was sincere.

At this point in the story we come to Tuesday of the second week. I'll rename that day The Day of the Lost.

We left out of Parral and vectored northwest to Creel and the copper canyon region.

This is always one of my favorite areas in Mexico.

At this juntion below, an interesting thing occured.

Four went one direction and two went another direction. I was with the four that went in the direction of Creel. Two others either missed the sign or were so preoccupied by the army checkpoint nearby that they went through the checkpoint and launched out on an accidental adventure of their own making.

The adventure that Alejo went through on this day is better left to his own words, should he care to comment here.

I will stick to the portion of the story of the involving the Fabulous Four (heading in the right direction) and the Gran Vision highway, and Creel

From Parral to N. Casas Grandes, we will be in the state of Chihuahua for the remainder of the time in Mexico. Chihuahua is the largest state and of course boasts the Copper Canyon region. This day's adventure is between Hildalgo del Parral and Creel.

By nightfall, only the Fabulous Four would make it to Creel and be by a fire at the Pueblo Viejo.

Alejo would be anchored to the sign above - all day.

Bruce and two other riders would have their own adventure unfold somewhere in Mexico past the army checkpoint...