User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #181
SV650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Great report and photos

Thanks for a great report. I have been lurking for sometime on the site trying to figure out a ride into Mexico. I have drove my pickup to the Jalapa area several times on whitewater kayaking trips but never on the bike. I live in Austin and am retired and can go at any time and wondered if Feb. would be a good time to travel the roads you did on this trip? I would change it a little and enter thru Eagle Pass or Del Rio and come out at Presidio. Thanks Bob
SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #182
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650
I live in Austin and am retired and can go at any time and wondered if Feb. would be a good time to travel the roads you did on this trip?
Anywhere south of the border is fine anytime of year. The only two caveats I offer for the whole calendar year are these:

(1) The rainy season in mid to late summer. Only a factor if you are the type to avoid rain as much as possible. I'm not saying its going to be like Burma, but your chances of getting wet are a bit higher. You'll be good in February.

(2) Snow/frost/ice in the higher elevations possible when you are considering going.

You mentioned doing some of the same roads I did. Rt. 40 in the eleveations beyond Mazatlan (El Diablo), Satillo and the Canyon elevations require some extra caution. Elevations in these areas vary between 7,000 and 8,500 feet.

As you've noted in this RR, late October/eary November have been spactacular for me. Just perfect conditions.

You can mirror my route in February and have a great time. Since you live in Austin, you can also shoot straight south through McAllen and do some great riding in either the area just southeast of Monterrey, or the Sierra Gorda mountains in and around the region of Jalpan.

Have a great time!

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #183
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Running out of sand in the Mexican hourglass

To paraphrase the soap opera tag line:

"Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days in Mexico"

In retrospect, I still find it surreal to think that on a Thursday morning I could be riding through Creel, and one day later pulling my boots off and crawling into my own bed. I would later pay for pulling that trick off. I am not the iron butt guy - I like to stop and take photos and smell the cacti.

Somewhere between Creel and N. Casas Grandes, we spot this hole in the wall restaurant. It was, quite literally, the living room of someone's house by night and the restaurant by day.

What would you try? Try not to go straight for the burger. Everything served was wonderful

This was really tasty:

I'm not going to tell you what it is. Post up here with your guess. Here's one more clue:

You may get it wrong, so here's a photo of something you'll recognize:

The wonderful lady who owned the place...

Outside I noted another of the many places I would go if I had any tire issues in Mexico:

Often you will see a tire, sometimes only a sign. Learned long ago its often better to take the wheel of the bike and take it to one of these guys than to wrestle with it on the side of the road. More of an adventure though. No punctures on this trip.

In Nuevo Casas Grandes the others went to see Paquime, the ancient ruins, but I, having seen it, B-lined for old town to look around, and then to the hotel.

The next day, I was wavering between exiting Mexico through Douglas AZ with the others, or to head east solo and go out through Palomas. I chose to split early in the morning by myself and go solo, via the shorter route to San Antonio.

Checking things before taking off.....oooops!:

I pulled some oil out of my rabbit hat side case:

Then a little bit of this

And a little bit of that

It was time to bid goodby to the gang...

Packed up the bike and gave it all one more check...

And left on my own for Janos, then east on Hwy 2, cut north to Palomas/Columbus, east to El Paso, and on in one day to San Antonio.

Here is a photo of the 60CS when I arrived home:

If I had it to do over, I'm not so sure I would have hammered from N. Casas Grandes straight home. I'm not against doing the miles, but I got home in the dark, and in the interest of risk management, I don't think I'd do night riding much again.

Deer in Texas can't see your motorcycle very well, so they walk onto the highways to get a closer look.

On Saturday morning, I got up early, made a pot of coffee, turned on the computer, and fired up advrider.

One of my kids comes down the stairs and says,

"So, Dad, how was Mexico?"

Where do I start?

Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #184
Mika Meyer
V-Strom gives you wiiings

Oddometer: 250
Cool2

Thanks for an informative and inspiring ride report. Feliz Navidad!

btw, what is it? It looks...edible...yum?

Adventure - Going further than where your knowledge, your experiences, and your capacities may have initially stopped you.

2008 ADV Relay rider: Colorado
Mika Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #185
Roboter
Vagabond

Oddometer: 825
Whats your 20?

Im in Merida, MX right now and will be making my way to Belize and then Guatemala. Let me know and we{ll kill some some beers!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #186
FemmeFatale
Perpetual Motion

Oddometer: 3,597
So Dad....how was Mexico??......

You should go into writing novels after your adventures....that was a brilliant ride report!!

Where will the next adventure be and do you do the same detail when you go on a dive trip?

Thank you , thank you for making me feel like I've been there with you!

Travel is fatal to hatred and bigotry. - William Porter
FemmeFatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #187
FemmeFatale
Perpetual Motion

Oddometer: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot

I'm not going to tell you what it is. Post up here with your guess.
At first I thought some sort of custard.....

But then with the bread...it must have been warm

And with the chicken soup hint....could it be the yummiest bowl of chicken smothered in a bechamel cheese sauce?? Not that they would refer to it as a bechamel cheese sauce...but it sure looks like a cheese sauce....

What was it?? I love this type of place...off the beaten track and food that is traditional and warm and filling...

Travel is fatal to hatred and bigotry. - William Porter

FemmeFatale screwed with this post 12-23-2007 at 09:51 PM
FemmeFatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #188
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,475
Well written ride report.

I hope i make it to Mexico someday too!
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #189
SV650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
You can mirror my route in February and have a great time. Since you live in Austin, you can also shoot straight south through McAllen and do some great riding in either the area just southeast of Monterrey, or the Sierra Gorda mountains in and around the region of Jalpan.

Have a great time!

Bob, thank you very much for your reply. We will have to decide which route to take, as you say, can't go wrong with any of them. Wish I had you knowledge of Spanish. I told my daughter about 10 years ago when I retired I was going to take a conversational Spanish course at the university. She said I had better take English first. I had worked in an oil refinery in Port Arthur, TX with all the cajuns for 31 years and was raised in coastal SC so my spoken English is not good. Seems as though I picked up the cajun acent along with the SC gullah. Anyhow, thanks again.
Bob
SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #190
Bitt
Wanderlusting

Oddometer: 691
Thumb Muchas gracias Bob!

Well done ol' man - when's your next book due to come out?

That pollo in melted queso is not on the menu - so I brought my wife over to the computer for a little help.... now we are both stumped..... c'mon ..... what is it??

Merry Christmas!
Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #191
meck13
Esq.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:

This was really tasty:

Goat cheese and chicken??

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
meck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #192
Bitt
Wanderlusting

Oddometer: 691
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by meck13
Goat cheese and chicken??
It can't be - he said it was tasty.
Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #193
rides2little
Posts2Little

Oddometer: 255
tricepilot, thank you very much for taking the time to post such a great ride report. Very inspiring. And for taking all the ribbing in stride as well. We all expect more great stories from you in the future. The bar is set high now!

rides2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #194
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by rides2little
We all expect more great stories from you in the future. The bar is set high now!

De nada, fue un gran placer

Here's the formula:

(1) Poke around advrider; read & learn

(2) Point your bike south (or YOUR favorite destination, it doesn't have to be Mexico)

(3) Go!

(4) Report

(5) Repeat 1 through 4

Bob

On tap for 2008:

More Mexico

Kona Coast (in fact, writing this from there as we speak)
Chile
Argentina
Honduras

So stand by........who knows where I'll be next

Basically just making up for lost time...

By the way, it was a big bowl of queso
Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #195
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
...By the way, it was a big bowl of queso
Mmmm, queso fundido, mmmmmm.
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote