Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #31
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
During the meeting, Bruce and Alejo give the rundown on how the trip is going to work.

They cover logistics, routing, and a bunch of other items.

The great thing about running into Mexico with these guys is that you can group up/pair up or ride solo every day, however you like. No matter what, if your bike craps out, Alejo will be there to cart it out of Mexico.

I found that taking off on my own or with one or two other people who had a similar riding style suited me best.

Most people like to explore on their own, but on some days they like to ride with the guia. Its up to you. You can ride as fast or as slow as you want.

Trip Tip:

One of the best tips for Mexico travel is that if you arrive in your overnight town on your own, and you're not sure where you are, just find a taxi and pay him to lead you to your hotel. Its a classic tip and works every time.

At the meeting, we were figuring all this out...

At dinner, you can be sure Alejo was attending to all the details...

The food at Mr. C's Supper Club was a very pleasant surprise (because Mr. C's Supper Club didn't sound so hot at first). It was really excellente.

I had the Cabrilla (sea bass) in mojo de ajo. Really good:

A lot of other people had the steak, which I tried and was most excellent:

The banter was always congenial and pleasant...especially from Scotland Steve:

Bruce reassured people that they wouldn't get lost...

While Alejo challenged Peter to a highway dual:

A spy told me about Alejo's birthday, so I was glad that it was not forgotten, and we celebrated:

Bright and early Tuesday morning, we gathered outside the hotel for the group shot...all of these people would turn out to be very good riders. Some, surprisingly so. Everybody was ready for adventure. That they got.

And headed for the border...

I believe I was the only one in the group that had ridden a motorcycle in Mexico before, so little did the others know what a great experience was ahead...

And little did we know that in just a few days, one motor would blow on the highway, and another bike would slide into a highway post and be totaled...

Next Up: Border Crossing 101

Pay Attention, Class!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:35 AM   #32
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
So you get lunch with me on the Riverwalk in San Antonio no matter what!
Bob, it is I that owes YOU lunch still for that little favor you did for me a few months back.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #33
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Border Crossing 101

Veterans of Mexico travel, skip this section.....this is only to help those who have never been into Mexico on a motorcycle and who aren't sure what the paperwork drill is like...

We crossed the U.S./Mexico border bright and early, and paid the toll (37 pesos, or about three bucks and change):

Once past the toll booth,

we were ready to hit the aduana

At this crossing, it is about 12 miles into Mexico, where we hit the combination aduana/imigracion/checkpoint to do the tourist visa and the vehicle import permit. Some place, this is right at the border (like Palomas), other places, its in the city somewhere (like Reynosa), and other places, its like this.

We parked the bikes, and lined up to do the dance

Obviously, there are two groups of people, those that have ridden a motorcycle in Mexico and those that haven't.

Of those who haven't been in on a motorcycle, there are two groups, those who are a little hesitant, and those who will charge right in without ever having been to Mexico before. Both types are good.

Of those who are hesitant, there are usually two reasons for their concern, (1) fear of police/bribes/kidnapping etc and (2) the mystery of the border paperwork shuffle. We'll talk about (1) later, and (2) we'll deal with here.

Crossing into Mexico is straightforward, but if you are unprepared and/or don't follow advice very well, it can end up like this:

I've been across the border from these places:

McAllen/Reynosa
Del Rio/Acuña
Presidio/Ojinaga
Columbus/Palomas
Nogales

And I have never once had a problem or a hassle coming or going at the border. But I usually see someone having an issue, and its usually because they've overlooked something simple.

There are two things you need to get across the border

(1) Yourself
(2) Your Bike

To get yourself into Mexico, you'll need a tourist visa. It looks like this:

The red arrow points to the stamp the imigracion official pounds out after you show your passport or birth certificate.

You'll get that done, get copies of your documents made, and then go to the Banjercito to get the second stamp on your tourist visa.

The blue arrow points to the stamp the banjercito (Mexican Army Bank) pounds out after you paid the fee for the visa.

At the Banjercito, in addition to taking care of the payment for the tourist visa, you'll get the vehicle import permit. It looks like this:

Place it on your bike like this:

By the time you're done, you'll have two charges on your credit card:

Make sure the visa is made out for 180 days:

One really important thing, make sure your receipt for the vehicle import permit is accurate down to the letter and number:

Check this while you are standing at the window, don't walk away to check the accuracy of this. If you have to get it fixed, you don't want to wait in line again. If it's wrong and you leave the Banjercito, it will be a big headache later on.

Fold this document and your visa and keep them with your passport. You'll turn both in when you exit Mexico, along with the sticker off your bike.

There is a problem here:

Bruce and Alejo are dealing with an "issue".

Someone brought a vehicle registration that did not match their credit card. The names have to match exactly, if they don't, there is a good chance you don't enter Mexico.

Issue number two: Someone brought a credit card that had no "room" on it. It was "maxed out". That person had to post a cash bond for the bike.

Only extreme charm and patience got person in the first scenerio into Mexico. I would'nt bank on charm every time.

With all of the paperwork finally fixed, we were ready to dive deeper into Mexico.

One other thought.

I wouldn't cruise around Mexico without this:

Or medical insurance. MEDEX and plans similar only cost about 4 bucks a day. I'll tell you a story later on about a gringo who got smashed in Durango by a drunk driver. So its good to have insurance, both motorcycle and for yourself.

Border Crossing 101 is over...

tricepilot screwed with this post 11-26-2007 at 10:14 AM
Old 11-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #34
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakysquirrel
Bob, it is I that owes YOU lunch still for that little favor you did for me a few months back.
A sus ordenes, Rebecca.

I learned early on when lurking advrider that the best approach is to try to contribute something back to the site and its members.

There are a lot of people on this site who do huge amounts of favors for other people, much more than I do.

As just one example, Lone Rider probably helps more people on the finer details of Mexico travel than anyone I know of.

Alejo himself bends over backwards to find ways to give to people in the community.

This is one fine place, and I'm happy to help out in my microscopic little way.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #35
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

As we prepare to make the run to San Carlos, here is a new sign to decipher:

CON NIEBLA O LLUVIA ENCIENDA SUS LUCES

If you guess right, you know what you win...
Old 11-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #36
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
Translation

It means to turn on your lights in fog or rain.

OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #37
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
Things have certainly changed

Back in the dark ages (1964) I rode all over Baja on a /2 with no documents and never had a problem.

I guess Mexico is more restrictive now. As long as you had American currency and a smile, you were good to go.

Thanks for the heads up on the changes and requirements.
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #38
Jerrykap
Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBMWMaster

Hey I was gonna say that...I think you got to Babel Fish before me.

Anyway, traveling in Baja does not require a vehicle importation permit, just don't try and take your ride to the mainland.

Tricepilot: This report is good and getting better, carry on.

Muchas gracias, C-ya
Jerrykap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #39
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

The Run to San Carlos

Near the border, going in the opposite direction, we saw this:

They were lining up to get inspected at the military check point. So long was the line, that vendors have set up shop to sell water and eats to the drivers.

Shortly after the dance at the aduana, I passed the group to head out on my own to San Carlos.

Here's Alejo giving me the go sign:

Not too long after I took off, U.K. Peter trailed in right behind me. We rode together all of the way down the highway to the Sea of Cortez.

The route:

Right below Hermosillo, at that first black arrow, is Guaymas and San Carlos.

The first thing you notice pulling into San Carlos are the impressive twin peaks of the Cerro Tetakawi. Here is the money shot from the mirador:

It seems like the mountain is giving the advrider salute:

San Carlos is a somewhat sleepy fishing and tourist spot, with a lot of gringos who come down from the north especially in the winter.

There were boats all over the place:

Here is the entire area:

Our hotel was on the crecent shaped beach on the left. The Cerro Tetakawi can be seen in the middle, and the main part of town at the right along Blvd Beltrones. Someone cut me off on that strip and I dropped the bike. I didn't get pictures but don't worry, I dropped the bike on the way to Divisadero and I have photos of that.

The next day we saddled up and met for breakfast At Doña Rosa's on Blvd Beltrones. Its a cool place that really caters to everyone.

From left: Scotland Steve, U.K. Pete, Bruce, and Colorado Carl and Karen:

Edit! Hey, check out Alejo giving the advrider salute above while giving the waitress a hug! I just caught that!

As soon as we finished eating, it was time to saddle up and bust out of San Carlos and head for Alamos.

Tiger Bob ready to go:

Bruce was in the lead out of town. You can see everybody else in the mirror:

Colorado Carl:

U.K. Pete on a rental VStrom

Scotland Steve on another rental VStrom:

I tried to get pics of the others leaving San Carlos, but I either chopped their heads off or took pics of my knees. I don't have the skills that Shoganai has in taking pics on the bike yet. It took me until the Gran Vision highway to get the whole process nailed down.

Like I said before, there wasn't a single drop of rain or any significant cloud cover the entire time in Mexico. Late October is a WONDERFUL time of year to travel there.

It was a very relaxing day cruising on over to Alamos. I'll get to that in a bit....

tricepilot screwed with this post 11-26-2007 at 11:14 AM
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #40
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:

We have a winner! You know what you've won!

Quote:
Back in the dark ages (1964) I rode all over Baja on a /2 with no documents and never had a problem.

I guess Mexico is more restrictive now. As long as you had American currency and a smile, you were good to go.

Thanks for the heads up on the changes and requirements.
Yes, there have been a lot of changes. And with the advent of the computer age, all the borders are connected now. That helps in other ways, as most PEMEX gas stations are now able to accept credit cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrykap
Hey I was gonna say that...I think you got to Babel Fish before me.

Anyway, traveling in Baja does not require a vehicle importation permit, just don't try and take your ride to the mainland.

Tricepilot: This report is good and getting better, carry on.

Muchas gracias, C-ya
Thanks Jerry

Not to worry - try this one before someone beats you to it:

NO MALTRATE LAS SEÑALES
Old 11-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #41
Jerrykap
Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer: 222
Quote:

Thanks Jerry

Not to worry - try this one before someone beats you to it:

NO MALTRATE LAS SEÑALES
Here's what Babel Fish said:
"IT DOES NOT MISTREAT THE SIGNALS"
I think they mean obey the signals?
Gotta go, I look forward to more later.
C-ya
Jerrykap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #42
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrykap
I think they mean obey the signals?

Old 11-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #43
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
how about this one:

who can tell me what THAT means in MX...
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #44
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:

:

NO MALTRATE LAS SEÑALES

Don't disfigure the signs.

In other words: don't shoot holes in them, and don't paint over them.
Obeying them is optional.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #45
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1
how about this one:

who can tell me what THAT means in MX...
Electricity is working.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote