Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #121
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,364
The Weekend in Mazatlan!

We practically ran the length of Sinaloa in getting to Mazatlan:

At this one particular rest stop, there was a very subtle security presence: Nothing says "chill" like an uzi!

I wasn't sure this guy was laughing at my jokes or just my spanish in general:

Thats the Sea of Cortez behind the dolphins -

We were able to pull into Mazatlan on Friday afternoon, and had planned not to leave town until Sunday morning. It was going to be laundry day, walk around Mazatlan day, and beach it day.

There was an impromptu party in the open air lobby of the beach hotel we were staying at, and before we even got our keys, we were blended in with the vacationing extended family from Mexico - note my new friend on the left:

Dinner this Friday night was at the Shrimp Factory, which was just a short walk down the street:

The place is owned by Alberto, who knows just about everybody in town.

Canada Dave I was able to find a mechanic, Ramon* through Alberto, to attempt to fix his busted '74 Harley.

*Make mental note of Ramon - he is apparantly "THE" mechanic to know in Mazatlan. Don't worry about finding Ramon - just remember Alberto at the Shrimp Factory, and half of your worries are over if you need a mechanic.

(Dave's Harley couln't be fixed in time for when we were leaving Mazatlan - he needed a new piston and getting the part to Mazatlan couldn't be done in time)

This place was so good, I ate lunch AND dinner there on Saturday. I love shrimp. Think Forrest Gump.

Glen came to have dinner at the Shrimp Factory:

I don't care if Glen snaps my neck. I have Supradol.

Very cool to be in the open air restaurant and to talk face to face with someone who has been around the world on a motorcycle, written a book about it, and is currently on the National Geographic Channel with a special about being kidnapped in Columbia.

By the end of the night, everybody was in awe and appreciation of what he has accomplished, told first hand by the man who had done it.

Mazatlan obviously is one of Mexico's resort cities, but again I had fun taking off on the back streets and wandering around. I found an internet cafe and did some email, and chatted it up with the locals

The next day, Saturday, would be spent on the motorcycle with the camera. Many of the places I took pictures of I have seen in other ride reports. Its fun for me to see pictures in a ride report, then see the same thing in person. I like comparing the perspectives.

Back at the hotel this particular night, I encamped in a beachside chair as the sun went down, and listened to a mix of spanish, english, german and some other language I couldn't identify - taking it all in and appreciating the fact that although in reality I was only a few days ride from San Antonio, I felt like I was in a magical place.

tricepilot screwed with this post 11-30-2007 at 04:03 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #122
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Sábado in Mazatlán

Java is a good thing.

Every day on this trip I would wake up and find the nearest place serving good coffee. I didn't find anything but good coffee in Mexico. Perhaps it was my state of mind.

The hotel and the shrimp factory, in the Zona Dorada, was right across from the Isla de Venados (deer) and the Isla de Chivos (goats):

Tiger Bob comes strolling down the beach with his coffee. I thought I was the early riser. The larger island behind him is the Isla de Venados:

Tiger Bob and I fired up the motos for a tour of the Av. Del Mar along the Malecón and headed towards Old Mazatlán.

Stopping to pay respects to Señor Cruz:

I believe he was born either in or near Mazatlán, was a singer and an actor, and loved to ride motorcycles.

I've seen this picture in other ride reports, so it was fun to see it first hand:

He needed a little more ATGATT:

The blue sky behind him was the sky we had over Mexico the entire trip (!).

Then we headed down to this spot:

To get a pic of the lighthouse on the Cerro del Crestón:

Tiger Bob mentioned that this was supposed to be the tallest (above the sea) placed lighthouse in the world.

Tiger Bob had lots of these tid bits. I didn't care if they were true or not, it made the trip interesting.

Then we headed down into Old Mazatlán to the Plaza Principal:

These guys were raising money for a cause. Everybody has a smile in Mexico:

That evening, some of us went to Glen's place to talk and see the slides of his adventures:

He signed my copy of his book, Two Wheels Through Terror:

Everybody is reading TWTT - get your copy from Glen's thread.

While Colorado Carl and Karen were asking some questions, I went out to the balcony to see the views:

Looking north to the Zona Dorada and the Isla de Pájaros:

Looking south to Old Mazatlán:

And the sun setting behind the Isla de Chivos:

I've done some cool things in Mexico, but talking with Glen in Mazatlán has to rank up there with the best of experiences.

tricepilot screwed with this post 11-30-2007 at 05:52 PM
Old 11-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #123
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,289
Good notes on Mazatlan. I usually stay downtown (Olas Altas), but we're taking the kids to beach right after X-Mas and the place I found is in La Zona Dorada, so good to know what you liked.

Keep going...

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #124
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot

Stopping to pay respects to Señor Cruz:

Names in Mexico are (First Name) (Father's Family Name) (Mother's Family Name)

Therefore that's Pedro Infante, one of the most popular singers in Mexico.

Since you're still studying Spanish.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #125
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Names in Mexico are (First Name) (Father's Family Name) (Mother's Family Name)

Therefore that's Pedro Infante, one of the most popular singers in Mexico.

Since you're still studying Spanish.
Disculpe, yo estaba confundido

We stopped to see Sr. Infante and this Cruz:

Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #126
meck13
Esq.

Oddometer: 80
Great RR

We went snorkeling off of the Ilsa de Venados in 1987. No services over there, were dropped off and to be picked up 4 hrs later. After getting beat by the waves, and taking in a fair share of salt water, I needed some thing to drink. A group of fishers had pulled the boat out of the water and were having Pacifico and fish around a fire. With no knowledge of the language I acquired four bottles of beer for a couple of bucks. Best beer I have ever had! Great people.

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
meck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:26 AM   #127
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by meck13
A group of fishers had pulled the boat out of the water and were having Pacifico and fish around a fire. With no knowledge of the language I acquired four bottles of beer for a couple of bucks. Best beer I have ever had! Great people.

Meck!

Another testimony of the Mexican "vibe". The people of Mexico create this magnetic tractor beam that pulls you back out of the U.S. for another visit, until you become an expat.

Did this experience with the beer have anything with you becoming a brewmaster???????
Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #128
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

OK time is up:

PREPARE SU QUOTA
and

PARE EN CASETA

Mean to get your toll ready; stop at the toll booth

Too bad, the prize for this was dinner on the Riverwalk with The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders
Old 12-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #129
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Noticias Importantes

Despite well intentions, from time to time the occasional family member, the occasional friend, who has NOT been to Mexico, will tell prospective travelers that there are dangers lurking or the trip will be otherwise too difficult.

After reading just a few of the many threads on Mexico, you will quickly find that this is simply NOT the case. Rely on anecdotal stories from people who have been there!

A FAST way to find almost anything you want about Mexico or anything related to it, such as specific cities, is to search advrider.com via the following format in Google:

Simply replace "Mexico" for anything you want to search for in advrider.com using Google.

Note that the search above returned "Smiling Faces and Beautiful Places - Viva Mexico!!

That would be a great thread to read.

And for anyone who would discourage our advrider friends and lurkers from contemplating a motorcycle adventure in Mexico there is important news:

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-01-2007 at 05:01 PM
Old 12-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #130
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Espinazo del Diablo

On Sunday morning it was time to leave Mazatlán at head for Durango.

Route 40 cuts across all of Mexico from Mazatlán in the west to Matamoros in the east.

There is one particular section in the mountains outside of Mazatlán called the Espinazo del Diablo - the spine of the devil.

The last heart pounding ride left on this journey was Highway 40 West from Durango to Mazatlan, with a frequently fogged in section known as El Espinazo del Diablo, The Devils Spine-- a particularly treacherous stretch of steep hair pins known for its disproportionate number of traffic fatalities on either side of its thousand foot drop offs. It is a twirling ribbon of asphalt beginning 9,200 feet up in the Mexican Sierras that a hundred eighty miles west spirals precariously down to the Pacific Ocean. If not for the speeding out of control truckers this would be a biker paradise of precipitous curves across high desert plains through thickly pine forested mountain tops to the balmy subtropical beaches of Sinaloa. Even at my leisurely pace of allowing six hours for less than two hundred miles, it is a white knuckled ride competing for road space with aggressively piloted commercial vehicles hell bent on keeping to schedules. They have little regard for motorcycles and like on all roads in the third world, size does matter. Half the approaching trucks are in my lane when racing around the hair pins and it is my responsibility to get out of their way which is a bit awkward when there is no shoulder or guard rail."

- Glen Heggstad

Checking to make sure everyone is full ATGATT..

Stopping for a snack..

This guy was selling really big pieces of beef jerkey..

Everywhere we went in Mexico, we were close to somebody who could fix a flat if necessary..

Crossing the Tropic of Cancer..

In the next section I started hitting the twisties hard, leaning like I was on the Tail of the Dragon, only longer, higher, and with LOTS OF TRUCKS. Despite the warnings with cars and trucks, I only saw one time when someone in our group found themselves sandwiched between a truck he was passing and a car coming in the other direction.

I felt fortunate that this was another crisp, clear blue sky day. There was none of the fog that this section is famous for.

Climbing into the mountains, I will never forget the scent of the pine and the cooler air. Combined with the bright blue day, simply amazing.

The sign says in part to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Mexican Revolution...

Stopping for lunch in El Salto. The area is Motorcycle heaven.

Not sure what this was, but it was HOT!

Jasmine our server gets a ride on the back of Karen's bike..

Sadly, this is the last day for Karen's bike for tomorrow it would be totalled. Fortunatley, Karen would be o.k.

We pushed into Durango exhausted but exhilarated.

As I sat in the hotel lobby, I thought I could feel the chair leaning.....
Old 12-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #131
Bitt
Wanderlusting

Oddometer: 691
leaving us hanging....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot[FONT=Fixedsys
Sadly, this is the last day for Karen's bike for tomorrow it would be totalled. Fortunatley, Karen would be o.k.[/FONT]

We pushed into Durango exhausted but exhilarated.

As I sat in the hotel lobby, I thought I could feel the chair leaning.....

Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #132
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,707
Quote:
Hey, Vato.

How do you make these maps?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #133
meck13
Esq.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:

Did this experience with the beer have anything with you becoming a brewmaster???????
Just one of many experiences that have increased my taste for a brew. I do mostly darker ales but have tried the lighter beers and have a fair imitation of Red Hook. We are going to try to make a off road trip next Sept. on the KLR and my brother on his DRZ400. Great ride report. Glad you had a great time.

07 Yamaha Venture
88 KLR 650
97 DR 350se
meck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #134
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Bitt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitt

Leo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Hey, Vato.

How do you make these maps?

Meck

Quote:
Originally Posted by meck13
I do mostly darker ales but have tried the lighter beers and have a fair imitation of Red Hook.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #135
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,429

oh wait!

Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote