User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
alexis235 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking Spring trip across Europe to the Alps and back

Two Gixxers bombing it down from northern Germany and the UK to the Alps in early Spring for 3500 miles and a week of touring in what some would consider the most beautiful parts of Europe. What's there not to like?

Well - A few things - like having to get out of London for example. But we'll get there in my first actual post. Let's discuss the setup first:

2003 GSXR-R 600. An early noughties classic, with about 30k miles on the clock, and for the younger ones amongst us a 'retro' look! Unlucky for me, she is probably a little bit beyond my abilities despite the couple of months I've spent on my old SV650 before trading up. What this means - I nowhere near push the performance envelope on her yet (but that's all going to change, right?).

In terms of mods for the tour, she comes with…well - nothing really. Other than the Akra exhaust, she hasn't had many non-stock parts fitted, none that would increase the comfort on this sportsbike anyways. Don't think the can helps either when doing some serious miles on the Autobahn…

The Germanic minimalism continues when it comes to packing: A mini tank-bag with my cellphone, an external battery pack and some bits and pieces in the front, and a 30L roll in the back. Luckily for me, we are not planning on camping.

In terms of where this tour is going, our route will roughly follow this neat little plan we've set out here:

London - Harwich - Ferry to Holland - Hamburg - Meet up - Munich - Oberstorf - a week of touring in the Alps - Cologne - part ways and go back to Hamburg or Holland respectively to catch the ferry to the UK again.

I will now leave it up to my fellow compadre to introduce himself as well!
alexis235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,744
This should be good

Old 04-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Oh, man, this should be great! Love it when a sport bike goes touring!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
cnflyboy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
sounds great! good luck! looking forward to your posts!I'm wondering how much Alpine roadway is open/sportbike rideable in April? (USA member here) ty.
cnflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Assero
Classic Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
This sounds good! No reason not to tour with a sportsbike, especially to the Alps. When you get there, which is a bit of a hike, the roads are fantastic.

Sportsbike Touring

To make life comfortable you might like to consider earplugs, and throw in some extra bungees because they always break. Fix all of them around your bag so you don't have to check the mirrors every 2km to see if your luggage went airborne on the Autobahn...

As for the Alps, the mountains will help round-off your tyres after all those motorway miles. Getting new tyres in Haute Savoie can be a matter of waiting for them to be delivered from Paris so start off with fresh ones if you can. Don't ask how I know... Good luck!
Old 04-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
alexis235 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
After a slight delay, and everyone having returned (almost) unharmed from the trip we now return to our scheduled posts

alexis235 screwed with this post 04-18-2015 at 02:24 PM
alexis235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis235 View Post
After a slight delay, and everyone having returned (almost) unharmed from the trip we now return to our scheduled posts
Love this trip, love the Alps, & especially love to see it done on bikes like the Gxxers! Those roads & those bikes were made for each other!
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote