Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #91
Russ

Oddometer: 15,524
Day 9 Cradle Mt- Strahan
We got away early as it was forecast to be hot but the day remained cool and there was a weird weather front near Zeehan, it was cool and misty and it just hovered over Zeehan. We went through Zeehan twice in the day and the second time it had not moved even though there was wind, it was like a non moving rolling fog really strange.
Cradle to Tullah then on to Rosebury down to Zeehan then northwest toward Reece dam and loop back to Tullah then the bottom loop to Zeehan via lake Plimsoll

Then Zeehan to Strahan where the biked ticked over to 30 000 KMS not bad for a 2007 GS

Were we stayed in the Cottages

A great day of fast twisties all on tar.

Russ screwed with this post 01-18-2008 at 03:04 AM
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #92
Russ

Day 10
Strahan - Hobart
From Strahan out to Queenstown
Queenstown is a mining town and you can see how Humans can screw up a place its a mining town and the mining operations have stripped the landscape.
It is looking better than the previous 2 time I went through there more plant life is starting to get a foot hold but I do not think that it will ever fully recover.

then over the bridge at lake Burbury

From there we went to Derwent bridge where we met Lofty Bob and his lovely wife Julie and bacon checked out his big rig.

After a quick breakfast it was time to do some exploring so we headed south toward Laughing Jack lagoon 26 Kms from Dewrent bridge we found the turnoff.

The road follows one of the few remaining wooden water pipes

from laughing Jack we continued South toward Tarraleah then out to Butlers Gorge at the bottom of Lake King William,
The road follows the water canals

toward Horbart via Ouse, Ellendale, Salmon Ponds,New Norfolk

Russ screwed with this post 01-17-2008 at 07:22 PM
Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #93
Russ

Day 11
New Years eve
Today we took a run out to lake Gordon and the Gordon Dam
a great road through beautiful country but its a dead end so yo have to come back the same way.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #94
Russ

Day 12 New years day
It was raining lightly but it was a planned rest day and time to catch up on some washing and to get a few things from the shops we had planned on going up Mt Wellington but it remained hidden in the clouds all day so we decided not to bother. Now I regret not going as it would have probably been great riding up into the clouds.
We took bacon to Joe,s Garage after-all it was Tuesday - Bike night.
Being New years day it was pretty quiet. Had a few drinks and headed off. Bacon met Vanessa and Tam I thought he was going to score but alas he struck out.

They have a crazy pool table

Vanessa & Tam

Joes's is packed wit all sorts of stuff this is a burnt out 916

After Joe's we headed down to the Tassie taste for dinner then watched the fireworks at midnight
Bacon had a few to many we found him in the morning still with his hat on and he could not remember how he got home or ended up on the carpet

Hobart is great at that time of the year all the boats competing in the Sydney to Hobat and the Melbourne race are in town an Constitution dock is a very busy place.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #95
MrsFish
Support Crew

Oddometer: 38
I'm just loving this thread, what an amazing little piggy.

I'm a little concerned about what happened after this photo was taken. Have any yellow pigs or pink ducks or ducks with snouts appeared anywhere after this interspecies snorgling?? You have to keep an eye on these young 'uns.

MrsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 AM   #96
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFish
I'm just loving this thread, what an amazing little piggy.

I'm a little concerned about what happened after this photo was taken. Have any yellow pigs or pink ducks or ducks with snouts appeared anywhere after this interspecies snorgling?? You have to keep an eye on these young 'uns.

No noth'n happened we got home before they filled the spa.........
Old 01-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #97
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,629
I am jealous of a fake pig....

Looks like you and Bacon are having a great time!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #98
Russ

Day 13
Hobart back to Melbourne
Left Hobart and headed for New Norfolk via Berridale an Molesworth found a great twistie short cut to escape the city.
New Norfolk to black hills then the GPS found us a great little dirt section through to Broadmarsh. then Eldersie and the dirt through to Hollow Tree then north to Bothwell pub for an early lunch.

After lunch north to Miena and again up the side of the Great Lake

At the northern end of the lake there is a great section of tight twisty corners that take you through to Golden Valley
then through Western Creek if you are ever going through this way and see the sign to the big tree dont bother its fallen over and its not worth the detour Caveside and on to Mole Creek.
Cethina was our next stop then up to Erriba, Lower Wilmot then over lake Paloonia to Aberdeen then through to Devonport to catch the Ferry to Melbourne.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #99
Russ

Day 14
Melbourne to Apollo
Departed the Ferry and headed of for Winchelsea Deans Marsh and down to Lorne great section of road

From Lorne through to Apollo bay along the coast we were lucky for that time of year there was very little traffic.
We arrived in Apollo bay to early to check in to our motel so we look at a map and decided to do a loop from Skenes Creek up through the Otway National park to Forrest then the dirt through to to Gellibrand, Beech Forest, and back to Haines Junction some where between Forrest and Gellibrand we took a wrong turn but we found a way through on some great tracks.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #100
Russ

Day 15
Apollo Bay - Nelson

From Apollo bay we headed west on the great ocean road We were really looking forward to this section as we had heard so much and never done it before.
Near Cape Otway Lighthouse Bacon spotted his first Koala's

The 12 apostles

Stopped for lunch at Port Fairy to try and cool down Bacon had a ride on a camel

It was hot from Warrnanbool to Nelson we saw temperatures of 43 Deg Cel.
We wet our riding gear at the Servo and hit the road the relief was short as we were bone dry in about 20 minutes

Russ screwed with this post 01-20-2008 at 04:55 PM
Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #101
Russ

Day 16
Nelson - MT Gambier - Nelson
We had 2 nights booked in Nelson Time to catch up on Laundry ect,
after sorting a few things out we went to explore the area.
First we went to see Piccaninni ponds

The water was amazingly clear
From there we went to Ewan Ponds
Then to Port MacDonnell took a ride out onto the breakwater

Then to Nene valley

The dirt roads around this area are the whitest and hardest I've ever experienced the locals do burn-outs here unfortunately most of the photos were overexposed

Went out to the lighthouse the area is popular with the 4x4 crowd for beach driving

We went to Carpenter Rocks then through to Mt Gambier
Bacon at the blue lake

It was a weird day of weather after the previous days extreme heat, it started off cool then warmed up to 39 deg then dropped back down to the low 20's by mid afternoon as we headed back to Nelson

Russ screwed with this post 01-20-2008 at 11:32 PM
Old 01-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #102
Russ

Day 17
Nelson to Victor Harbour
A uneventfull day a day to cover distance
Stops at Beach port, Robe and Cape Jaffa

We crossed the Murray river at Wellington on the ferry

And through to Victor Harbour
Old 01-21-2008, 02:41 AM   #103
LOFTYBOB
Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer: 695
Awsome pics mate, keep them comming
Old 01-21-2008, 02:59 AM   #104
Russ

Thanks mate, where is your trip report? I've been looking out for it, I may have missed it, send me the link. And if you and Julie are ever near Sydney again PM me and we will have you over for a few beers and a feed .
Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #105
Russ

Day 18
Victor Harbour - Murray Bridge via Adelaide
After yesterday we were wondering if all the roads in South Australia were straight. Bacon wanted some twisty roads and had his helmet on early

we took off for Cape Jervis

Great to find a good road.
From Cape Jervis we followed the coast up to McLaren Vale to see the wineries and olive groves

We went through Chandlers hill, Coromandle valley, old Belair road to Adelaide then out via Millbrook to Gameracha, Birdwood, Williamstown then up to The Barossa valley Where the credit card took a big hit at some of the wineries.

the Roses at Grant Burge Estate

After buying some wine to be shipped home it was back to Williamstown, Kersbrook, Castanbul,Athelstone, Marble Hill Balhannah and on to Mt Barker for the night or so we thought.
At Mt Barker we were told that there was no accommodation so we decided on a quick blat through to Murray bridge.
This was a mistake as we encountered one of SA's Finest in a very cleverly disguised un-marked Patrol car.
After a short conversation we were back on our way with a much lighter wallet and going a lot slower.
Bacon had a few unkind words to say about the fine.

I think that the bed springs on the beds went before the Great War we had to make some alterations before going to bed.

found a new use for Andy Strapz

It was a big day but a great day and there are some great roads in South Australia.
Note to self when tired don't just think of the destination watch the speed especially on the Highway

Russ screwed with this post 01-23-2008 at 02:26 PM