User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
doc917 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Eek morocco and ramadan

anyone have any experience of travelling through morocco during ramadan? and if so did u run into any problems? i.e getting food/fuel etc
doc917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
talltony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Have a look at the Morocco forum on www.ukgser.com ,I'm sure someone there can help.
Tony
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,093
I've been to Morocco 4 times now, on the visit which coincided with Ramadan, I was there for work and had to leave my bike at home, which is a cruel punishment.
I then can only speak of Ramadan in the city of Marrakech, which is really quite funny, funny in that Moroccan men, who are so often ballbreakers of the highest order, become sullen and withdrawn . It is a great time to swoop in to Souk market stalls and bargain with no mercy. Moroccans have a good sense of humour, offer every man you meet a cigarette, encourage them to ogle the scantily clad hordes of infidel tourists shuffling around in a safety huddle. Good times, good times, not to be outdone, a few of them pointed out my ample waistline and suggested I give it a go myself.

On a more serious side, the daily end of fasting is actually quite a spectacle, pick a good seat on the big square and watch the tables fill up with people eagerly awaiting the horn from the minaret which marks the all-clear for sinless eating.

In general I was suprised with MA's modern-ish road system and infrastructure, also trade and commerce are allowed during Ramadan, everything just moves a lot slower.
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
BMWDoug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Morocco/Ramadan

I've been there twice; during Ramadan travellers and foreigners are exempt from the dietary delays. For the locals, it is forbidden to eat, smoke, drink, or kiss your wife "from the time in the morning when it is possible to distinguish a black thread and a white thread" until it is no longer possible to do so. Since Ramadan goes around "our" calendar, sometimes it is in the hottest part of the year, and practically no one tries to do anything physical. But as a tourist, you should be inconvienced only by many shops and restaurants being closed. When the day's fast is over, the street food is a WONDERFUl soup of lentils, cilantro, and meat (usually beef, sometimes pigeon). Have a good time--it is a fascinating country to visit. The position of women there is kind of dicey; the local joke is that "the position of women is either prone or supine, depending upon the sexual proclivities of their husband."
BMWDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
doc917 OP
Adventurer

cheers lads some good info there.might be looking to still go in sept 08
Old 11-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Dan OTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I rode Morocco during Ramadan and had no problems. Food and fuel are available as normal, and even though the fast doesn't apply to non-Muslims (nor children, pregnant women, manual labourers and travellers) it's good to be respectful - try to avoid eating and drinking (and smoking) in front of other thirsty, hungry, dying-for-a-smoke people during the day.

Sometimes cliches are true - the traffic really does go bananas as dusk approaches and distracted drivers jump red lights on the tear home. Second best thing about Ramadan is the amazing peace that follows as you ride empty roads past homes burping a collective satisfied 'Aaah' as the nation tucks into dinner. First best thing about Ramadan is accepting one of the dozens of inevitable offers to share this harira break-fast with a Moroccan family.

Suerte, Dan
Old 12-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
doc917 OP
Adventurer

looks like the trip is still on for september