User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Russ S OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
SV650 Wannabe Motard/Adventure Bike

I have followed the off-road SV modification threads on this site with much interest since I also have a similar project in progress. My progress so far makes me think I'll actually finish it so here are some pics and narrative on the metamorphosis.

A friend at work took some interest in how I was modding my DRZ400S to fit 17" street wheels from a GSXR and he suggested that I look into making an off-road adventure bike out of an SV650. He said the engine would be great for the job...... so I bought a wrecked one from a salvage yard.

It's an '04 SV650S that looked like a wheelie gone very wrong. The salvage title read "2 miles" on the ODO. As you can see, the tank and tailsection are unsalvageable and the whole front fairing with lights and instrument cluster are missing. The radiator was also badly bent but still holding fluid.

To start with, it needs to be licensed so I can evaluate the changes on my daily commute to work. After that it needs longer suspension travel, more ground clearance, dirt bike bars and a bash plate (at least an engine rock guard.

More of the saga to come........

Russ
Russ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Russ S OP
Adventurer

Project SV Licensed with Long Legs

Here are a couple pics of the bike licensed.

In this configuration it has:

'00 DRZ400S forks with Race Tech cartridge emulators inside (I put '02 RM125 USD forks and triples on my DRZ)

'02 GSXR1000 triple clamps (for USD forks) with spacer collars to grab the 49mm DRZ forks. The GSXR triple clamps are a bolt-on-fit to the SV steering head. DRZ triple clamps would have fit also with bearing changes but the offset is too shallow leaving way too little lock-to-lock steering range. I would like more range than the GSXR triples provide but they are OK.

'9x GSXR rear shock, 14" bolt to bolt replaced the 13" stock shock to add better damping adjustability and to raise the bike about 2". It still only provides about 5.5" of rear suspension travel. Ground clearance is now about 9" vs. about 6" stock.

Longhorn brand fatbars with 2" risers and Acerbis Rallye brush guards. The stock control cables were too short for the dirtbike bars so I bought some SV standard cables on Ebay.

Collar/spacers installed on the front axle to fit 17mm SV wheel axle to 20mm DRZ axle clamps. Brake offset bracket fabricated to fit '?? 320mm GSXR disc to SV caliper to DRZ forks. The GSXR disc is a bolt-on-fit to the SV wheel.

Tank, tailsection, taillight, subframe, headlight, and instrument cluster are off Ebay. The radiator was repaired by Meyer's in Utah.

The bike runs great (after I figured out that there is a mercury tip-over switch that needs to have the arrow pointing up) . The seating position is too far back for off-road but not bad for street riding. The seating position will be hard to change without a complete redesign of the tank and seat combo. The front end has some minor twitchiness under hard acceleration over about 80mph but it's not scary and settles down nicely when I'm not holding the bars so tight. Minimal trail (~2.5"), long front forks (flexy), and holding on too tight to the wide bars probably all contribute to the twitchiness.

Next steps:
I like the Buell Ulysses dual headlight look.
The rearset footrests and controls need to be moved down and way forward.......and the radiator sticks out way too much. That's how it got bent over so bad in the original crash.

Russ

Russ S screwed with this post 12-25-2007 at 07:10 AM
Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Jet Jaguar
King of the poseurs

Oddometer: 349

It's not an adventure unless you need a tent, a passport, and a leather glove for your shooting hand.
'05 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Jet Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Very cool, nice job. These SV dirt bike projects always get me thinking.

W/ a set of 21"/18" wheels you'll get a few more inches of ground clearance and help save the exhaust pipe from some damage.

So how much do you have into it so far if you don't mind me asking?

Keep us posted.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Russ S OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
W/ a set of 21"/18" wheels you'll get a few more inches of ground clearance and help save the exhaust pipe from some damage.

So how much do you have into it so far if you don't mind me asking?
I hesitate to say how much I am spending on this project because it will not turn out to be a winner of the thriftiness award. From the outset I intended for this to be a bike to just mess with, a kind of therapy if you will. Anyway, as pictured above I had about $3200 in it. Besides $2675 for the wreck, it is mostly in radiator repair, tank, tailsection and subframe parts. Since then I have "wasted" a fair bit of money on trial-and-error parts and materials that I have tried out.

Speaking of pipes, I always liked the looks of high pipes better than low ones as you can see in my next mods:

Highpipe from Holeshot and dual black mirrors. I forgot to mention earlier that I shortened the front forks to 9" travel from 11" because it just looked too raked out. Rake is now 27 deg, about the same as my DRZ. I also had to make an aluminum kickstand to account for the extra ground clearance from the long legs. I also took about an inch of seat foam out to lower the seat height because the bike is now 2" taller than stock. That's also something to consider regarding the photoshoped concept pics of off-road SV enduros that have been posted before, some of them would turn out to have almost 40" seat height. My project is still at a low 32.5" but it won't stay there if I try to get the seating position moved forward. I also noticed that the front disc in these pics is still the stock 290mm, the 320mm comes later......as do the brush guards. History is not as easy to rewrite as I thought it would be.

Russ

Russ S screwed with this post 11-27-2007 at 04:40 PM
Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
HDwrench
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Cool project, keep us posted!
HDwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Russ S OP
Adventurer

SV Motard/Adventure Project

These next pics show a number of mods that I added over about a 4-month period.

The dual headlights and carbon mini fairing are inspired by Buell Ulyses. Headlights are H4 (65/55Watt) units that are wired both always on. The original bike had dual H4s so the stator can handle it. I found a plastic trash can at WalMart that was just the right shape for the fairing layup mold. The sides are layed up on plastic heat shaped from a 5-gallon bucket. The headlight housings are 4"-3" ABS sewer pipe reducer couplings.

The front fender is a modified KTM motard fender with aluminum brackets.

The radiator is a modified 15"x6" Earl's high performance transmission oil cooler that is more than 2" narrower than the stock SV radiator and works surprisingly well. No fan installed (yet) but no indications of overheating problems on 100F+ days. I can monitor the radiator performance because the stock coolant temp readout works normally.

Fabricated brackets,mounts, and controls to move the footrests and controls down about 2.5" and forward 4". Installed CRF450 break-away footrests. The brake pedal and shift pedal are also break-away.

I rode the bike in this configuration for several months including some 300+mile day trips and chasing Motards in the twisties around Branson, MO. Although I'm not a track rider, I think the bike handles quite well and the footrest position is definitely more comfortable for my taste.

Russ

My next posts will follow the evolution of designing and building an underseat tank (inspired by BMW GS650) to move the rider seating position forward on the bike.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Russ S OP
Adventurer

SV Adventure

Before I move on to the underseat tank, here are a couple of pics of my knobbies fit-check.

The 21" RM250 front wheel just looks too big compared to the 17" KLR on the rear. Also the 21" will probably hit the radiator before suspension travel bottoms out (although the forks are dropped in the clamps 1" in this pic). I'll look for a 19".

Russ
Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Very interesting project! It would look pretty cool if everything was the same color as the rear end. Nice blue!
Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
some of my SV pics

randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Old 11-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ S
Before I move on to the underseat tank, here are a couple of pics of my knobbies fit-check.

The 21" RM250 front wheel just looks too big compared to the 17" KLR on the rear. Also the 21" will probably hit the radiator before suspension travel bottoms out (although the forks are dropped in the clamps 1" in this pic). I'll look for a 19".

Russ
Me likey!

Old 11-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
HDwrench
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
VERY Cool!
HDwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #15
Russ S OP
Adventurer

SV Motard/Adventure Project

Hmmmmm, what could I do to this to make an underseat tank?

Conceptualizing subframe and seat ideas........

There seems to be enough volume under the seat to hold enough fuel. That huge airbox is what makes the stock SV tank have to be so tall in the back. You can't just bash in the back end of the stock tank to move the seat forward because there is a 5" tall fuel pump tucked into that hump area at the very back end of the tank. I suppose I could look into working with an external fuel pump......but I already have the one that is matched to the FI system.

OK, start with making a simple subframe out of aluminum alloy tubing. I found some 1x3/4x.062 2024 T3511 (common structural alloy used in aircraft) rectangular tubing at our local aircraft surplus materials yard.

That looks promising.

Here's a template of the profile shape I want to achieve.

The horizontal line on the template is at 32.5" above ground level and runs through the lowest point of the outline of the stock seat location. The short vertical line in the crotch of the new seat location is directly above the footrest, just like on my DRZ dualsport. This will move the seat crotch 7" forward from stock, allow the rider to scoot up even farther forward when needed, and still maintain a 34.5" seat height.....still not too tall for a Motard. Maybe the seat padding can be thinner than 1.5" in that area .

Russ