User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow

Oddometer: 794
gsaw headlight and radiator protector

Which one to get? I just got my GSAw and now I need to protect my fins and headlight.... I am local to TT but would like to hear from your experiences.
Tia
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Is the headlight and radiator on a moto more 'open the the elements' than on a car?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Is the headlight and radiator on a moto more 'open the the elements' than on a car?

yes and no. I thnink the radiator is more exposed, the light is the same. Just a couple of hundred bucks is a good warranty especially when in long trips
Old 04-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Poolside
Syndicated

I defer to your more extensive experience with big enduros. A headlight or radiator guard makes the bike more look the part. And if you like it, heck that's all that matters. Touratech does make some fine kit.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-30-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 769
For those of us who actually ride instead of sitting in front of a screen and adding to our post count they are both pretty good things to have on an adventure bike,

I went for the TT versions.

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 AM   #6
Poolside
Syndicated

Ok. If you need a prophylactic for your headlight, that's cool. 

Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
Transport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
A dealer I ..dealt with last week, told me there is a new directive to remove rad guards..I just installed mine.
Any one else hear anything similar?
Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by lout View Post
For those of us who actually ride instead of sitting in front of a screen and adding to our post count they are both pretty good things to have on an adventure bike,
Sure. I've ridden bikes for way more than 200k miles now. Still have to have my first headlight damaged. If I had bought Touratech protectors for each bike, I could have replaced about two LED headlight clusters by now. On the other hand - I could buy a small 250cc dual sport for the same money and have some fun with it ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow

Please

I did not ask about the merits or lack off installing these parts;l I asked for advice and experience in the these parts.

Thanks
Astolfo
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
On the Hexhead I added a headlight protector. I HAVE had two headlights chipped by rocks, and they are glass instead of the plastic found on most cars, plus well over $400 and not easy to find used or aftermarket. To me a layer of film or a plastic guard is worth it. I can't say on the Wethead, but it cant hurt.

Home made

Store bought

As for the radiator guards, the Hexhead rarely sees issues, but it is high and less exposed than the Wethead with the radiators in line with potential debris tossed up by the front tire. Is there a high level of danger of an issue? , but a set of screen type guards are not going to block airflow, will look unobtrusive, and are inexpensive compared to replacing a radiator.

Hornigs
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,191
I have the TT radiator protectors and they are nice and easy to install. the fins are angled, I suppose to aid air flow. I have not noticed heat issues, but it isn't summer yet either.

I have not decided on a headlight cover or whether I'll install one at all. Someone here on the forum showed pictures of what the headlight beam looks like with the steel grate protector installed and I decided that would be distracting to me.
I had a plexiglass HLP on my 800 (which was ridden off road most of the time) and it reflected light into the windshield at night. I had to take it off when it was dark.

The LED headlight lens on the GS is plastic and I'm thinking pretty tough...
Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astolfo View Post
I did not ask about the merits or lack off installing these parts;l I asked for advice and experience in the these parts.
What you can read from my comment is: forget the headlight guard. You can keep riding with a broken headlight if that ever happens. With a broken cooling system it's not as easy. So, if you ride in areas where you get stones thrown at you from riders in front of you - protect the one that you can't afford to loose. If you want belt and suspenders, do the headlight, too.

If you don't ride behind fast riders in gravel, for me it wouldn't be worth the effort. Certainly not for the headlight. For cooler guards, better use mesh ones, like the ones from Hornig:

http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.co...rotection.html

More airflow while still having better protection than most of the solid metal parts. If you really want to add protection to your headlight, add something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rshield-Headli.../dp/B0058NVUOE

Add the fancy guards if you are in for the optics at Starbucks ...
Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
On the Hexhead I added a headlight protector. I HAVE had two headlights chipped by rocks, and they are glass instead of the plastic found on most cars, plus well over $400 and not easy to find used or aftermarket. To me a layer of film or a plastic guard is worth it. I can't say on the Wethead, but it cant hurt.
The headlight on the Wasser is $1500 if you have the LED. In my book this is well worth the money to put a 1st layer of protection in front of it.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
The headlight on the Wasser is $1500 if you have the LED. In my book this is well worth the money to put a 1st layer of protection in front of it.
I agree, I just meant I didn't know if it was glass or plastic. Plastic is generally more durable and resistant to impact!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
cug
--

It's $1300. And again - if I had added $100 to each of my bikes over time, I'd be out two LED headlights. And I still haven't had a single damage to one. Sure it sucks for the person when it happens, but statistically it doesn't happen often.