Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #136
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettson
Sorry my humor just crept into the post I will try and correct it.
JB
I think it's funny as hell. Leave it. You worked (too) hard and earned it!

[Gold wind, indeed!]
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #137
JJ_008
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
I think it's funny as hell. Leave it. You worked (too) hard and earned it!

[Gold wind, indeed!]
Both of my lights from the VVME kit are now dead. I can't say I recomend them.
JJ_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #138
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_008
I had really good luck with my kit from CQLights.com ... fwiw.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #139
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_008
Curious, would they ignite after start up and then flicker and shut off after a bit? That is what my low beam was doing before I put the halogen back in. High works great

Did you return them?
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #140
JJ_008
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson
Curious, would they ignite after start up and then flicker and shut off after a bit? That is what my low beam was doing before I put the halogen back in. High works great

Did you return them?
One was dead on arrival and the low beam worked great for awhile. One day the low beam just stopped working.

I am going to get a new kit with slim ballasts. I am not going to go through the hassle of returning the VVME kit.
JJ_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #141
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
VVME Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
PS I recommend the 4300K color light.
I've had the VVME kit on my bike for about two weeks now. I have still had no lamp failure indications on my display and it has worked flawlessly. I am pretty pleased with the light output on the low beam but I have to agree with Jim on the color temp. I've had a car with factory 4300K HID low beams and I feel that temp. provides more realistic colors from signs, reflectors and other roadside obstacles. When I encountered a deer on the roadside I was pretty surprised to see that its eyes reflected an aqua blue/green color rather than the typical yellow color of halogen bulbs. Is anyone interested in trading their 4300K bulbs with my 6000K?

As for the high beam, I'm really not that impressed with the performance of the HID kit. I'm not sure if it's the focal length of the HID bulb, reflector design or combination of the two, but the high beam doesn't put much more light above the cutoff level of the low beam. In fact, I find that I can see further down the road with just the low beam because I'm not focusing on or trying to look around the "hot spot" created by the high beam. I haven't tried measuring the filament positions between the HID bulb and standard H7 bulb. I don't think I will investigate this further because I've decided that I don't care for the warm-up time of the high beam when it's been off for more than about 15-20 seconds. I can't see any difference in light output between the low and high beam when I initially turn on the high beam with a "cold" bulb. This is definitely not the case when the bulb is warm, but the positioning of the high beam light, as stated above, is not ideal.

For now I'm going back to a halogen high beam and my Lightforce 170's. I may try the Osram/Sylvania Hyper/Ultra 65W H7 in the high beam. Here are some links I found regarding this bulb:
http://danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=164
12GS specific reviews and recommendations:
http://www.cyclenutz.com/products/br...w_h7_bulb.html
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Mot...e_Lighting.asp

At least I'll have a backup HID bulb and ballast! Or, is anyone interested in buying 1/2 of my slightly used 6000K setup for their low beam? How about $30+ shipping?

Kev.
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #142
WindRiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
VVME kit

I, too, installed the VVME kit. Upon installation, I noticed they sent the 8000K bulbs rather than the 6000k that I ordered -- oh well, let's plug these guys in and see what it does. Installed low beam first, fired up the bike and nearly burned a hole in the garage with the "blue laser" beam.
Next, I turn the bike off and decided to take another look real quick before doing the high beam. Problem -- dreaded lampF indicator and no low beam. When the low beam should come on after starting, it flashes on for about a half second, then out. Decide to swap out the ballast with the 2nd ballast in the kit and light again works fine, except for the rediculous color of the 8000K bulb. Darn-wrong bulbs and a bad ballast.

Long story made short, by the time I sent the kit back to them I would have half the money of another kit tied up in shipping it back. Sitting on the fence now as to whether or not to even attempt the hassles of a return or just go buy the slim ballast kit from the other seller and hope he ships the right bulbs and two working ballasts.

We'd probably all be wise to accept that we're rolling the dice when purchasing from Kung Chao Fu sitting in his grass hut over in PRC -- fat chance we're ever going to get any real service from him and even fatter chance he's going to spend one of his newly acquired US greenbacks to make us happy.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #143
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,880
That is frustrating. Sorry to hear of the bad luck with the VVME kits. I would be really pissed if they F'd up the bulb color or worse, the ballast was DOA.

Besides sending the kit back, what is your recourse? ...I guess leaving unfavorable feedback on fleabay.

I just installed a VVME 4300K conversion in the Low beam on my 12GS. So far I have only started it once, and everything was A-OK. Knock wood.

The bike is still apart, as I am upgrading my driving lights to FF50's. And running new wires, while I have the beak off.

If I had to do it again, I would definitely order the SLIM ballast. And may still do that, if I decide to convert my FF50's to HID too.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #144
WindRiver
Gnarly Adventurer

yea, you're right -- probably not much in the way of recourse other than plenty of negative advertising for him. I've sent a couple of emails asking about the bad ballast and the wrong bulbs, but so far all I've seen back from him is a list of options on how to fix all this --- ALL of which cost me at least $35 more and waiting for who knows how long to get the replacement part. If I were going to do that, I'd just buy another entire kit and have some spare parts laying around!

I sent an email back to him last night TELLING him how he needed to make me happy --- ship a new kit with the correct bulbs and two WORKING ballasts, then I would ship the old kit back to him. Sounds reasonable enough, I thought. We'll see if I get another "canned" response back.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #145
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,293
Yeah, that really does suck. I have about 60 rides, and 3000 miles on mine so far, high and low beam, no issues so far.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #146
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Has anyone contacted the U.S. distributor?

Although it sounds like many of you bought off FleaBay, I actually bought mine through the VVME website (and paid a little more for my kit too). Have any of you tried to contact the U.S. "distributor" via this info?:
http://www.vvme.com/contact_us.jsp

Kev.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #147
WindRiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Kev --

Its the same email address as on the Fleabay site. I will say that he is good about returning emails, even if they are a canned, scripted response. I called the US number -- says the number I am calling from is not an authorized reseller number, therefore, I must send email.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #148
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

O.K. Sorry that didn't help. I guess my logic of buying from companies that list their address and telephone number instead of just an e-mail address needs to be re-evaluated.

Kev.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #149
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRiver

We'd probably all be wise to accept that we're rolling the dice when purchasing from Kung Chao Fu sitting in his grass hut over in PRC -- fat chance we're ever going to get any real service from him and even fatter chance he's going to spend one of his newly acquired US greenbacks to make us happy.
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #150
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454
I knew I was taking a chance - but I was willing to experiment!

They sent the right kit (4300) and I did the install (I even got some 7/8" plugs for the light covers I drilled out in case I decided to glue them back in the holes and go back to halogen bulbs.) They worked out rather well and the low beam is at least 200% better. The slow "spool up" time on the cold high beam is my only reservation. My floods (PIAA 4010) and driving lights (PIAA 520) will light up the road until the spool up is finished.

After reading the above posts I will go back in the underbeak shelf and safety wire the ballasts in place.

I'm satisfied, but prepared to swap them back if necessary. We're going to ride them for a while until I make the final verdict. LOL = lots of light!

I cleaned up the wiring and used the black spiral wrap to conceal it all.
I know - I need to wax the underside of my beak!

Since this photo I made 1/8" lexan light protectors held on with 3M Dura Loc for all the lights. I shamelessly copied Cee Bailey's idea which is on the headlights above. The black reflective tape really shines in the flash!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote