Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #151
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRiver

I sent an email back to him last night TELLING him how he needed to make me happy --- ship a new kit with the correct bulbs and two WORKING ballasts, then I would ship the old kit back to him. Sounds reasonable enough, I thought. We'll see if I get another "canned" response back.
Did the response look something like this?

1. Send the WHOLE kit back to us, we will test it again, if there is really a problem we can do exchange or refund! If the problem comes from the products, we will cover all shipping fee, while if there is no problem with the products, you need to pay the shipping fee for shipping back.
2. Send defective part back to us, then pay $25 for shipping fee, so once we receive the defective part, we will send you a new part.
3. Just pay $35 to us, so you don't need to send the defetive part back to us, and once the payment received, we will send you the new part immediately. (That is only for one relay harness or one ballast or one bulb)

I do understand that they wan't to filter out all the (I probably screwed up the install, but I'd rather assume it is a broken unit and return it) customers, but I, like you, would prefer that they send out a replacement unit immediately (with prepaid packaging to send back the defective unit). And if I don't send it back? Charge me for it!

Let us know what "his" response is!

rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #152
WindRiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
That's it -- EXACTLY. It had the smell of a canned response, so I guess we've proved that to be true. The email that I sent 2 days ago has not been answered yet and I'm thinking it probably never will be.

Here's the text of what I sent back to him after the canned email:

You shipped the wrong bulbs with my HID kit. Check the paypal notes in which you asked for the bulb type -- it clearly states 6000K not the 8000K bulbs that I received. Additionally, one of the ballasts is definitely bad.

I would like to request that you ship a new kit with H7 6000K bulbs since there were multiple problems with the kit i received as mentioned above. I will return the incorrect and defective kit after receiving the new kit. You state that your goal is 100% satisfaction --- you shipped the wrong bulbs and a defective ballast, so I feel that you have a responsibility to make this right without additional cost to your customer. You asked that negative feedback be held until you have a chance to correct your mistakes. I am waiting to hear your response.

I did notice that the folks that trashed him with negative feedback got called "liars" and all sorts of names and negative feedback left for them as well. Geesh, they paid immediately and were shipped non-working junk yet they received negative feedback? Sounds real fair, huh. I'm not putting my 100% positive feedback on the line for this nut sack!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #153
Vec
Has adventure hangover

Oddometer: 218
My install pics

I just ordered a set of HIDs from xenonrider.com. (I know... more expensive. I just paid for "insurance" against someone in Taiwan not wanting to deal with something that didn't work right) I ordered the slim ballasts, which turns out makes things easier as we shall see.

So, anyway, here's my install on a 2007 GS Adv.

After I took off the side covers I pondered where to install them for a good long to figure out the best spot. I wanted a spot that wouldn't interfere with a gas tank removal and would be easy to do with only zip ties. I think I found a nice spot:

The closest it gets to the forks is around 3/8 inch or so, so I think I'm all set. This is where the smaller ballast paid off!

Here's another angle that shows where I ties them to:

It's similar on the other side except there's a relay in the way of me taking a picture.

I wound up doing a criss-cross arraignment on the wiring -- the right head-light has the ballast on the left side and vice-versa. I think it makes the wiring in the cockpit a bit neater since you don't need to try to bunch of the wires:

More here: http://public.fotki.com/gburgyan/mot...s/hid-install/

Total time: around 2 hours or so.

I haven't ridden it around yet since it's a bit frigid out... from what I can see though it's a lot brighter. I might brave it tomorrow to show it off to a buddy at work.

I do have one question (not related to the HIDs per se): the adjuster screw to the right of the low-beam -- what direction do I turn it to make it go up? I turned it a bit in both directions and it didn't seem to do a hell of a lot.

George
Vec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #154
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
What was the grand total, shipped? And I right in thinking plug-n-play as in no relay or wiring to battery, just plugged into the standard headlight wiring?

-Eff
Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #155
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescent
And I right in thinking plug-n-play as in no relay or wiring to battery, just plugged into the standard headlight wiring?

-Eff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:24 AM   #156
Vec
Has adventure hangover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescent
What was the grand total, shipped? And I right in thinking plug-n-play as in no relay or wiring to battery, just plugged into the standard headlight wiring?

-Eff
Grand total for me was $199. I think they had just raised the prices... their web site was $30 more, but I had already had the previous items in my cart.

Install was just:
  • Take off side-panels
  • Take off light covers
  • Makes holes in the covers with a Dremel
  • Unplug the old lamps
  • Plug in the new harness into the old socket
  • Tuck the old socket down into the headlamp assembly cavity so the bulb fits. (I tried the other order: lamp then wires; much harder to manage in the limited space between the handlebars and gauge cluster)
  • Insert new lamp, latch into place, and replace cover
  • Test. Marvel at the light. Stare at the light for a moment. Wait for eyes to readjust so I can see again.
  • Zip-tie the ballasts in place
  • Replace side-panels
No relays or nothin'. It was just a simple and straight-forward install!

George
Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #157
Vec
Has adventure hangover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vec
I do have one question (not related to the HIDs per se): the adjuster screw to the right of the low-beam -- what direction do I turn it to make it go up? I turned it a bit in both directions and it didn't seem to do a hell of a lot.
Well, to answer my own question... upon looking at the manual some more I noticed I was futzing with the lateral adjustment. D'oh! Up until I looked I didn't even realize there was something to turn there, not just flick up and down.

Now that I re-centered the beam and adjusted the correct screw, all is well.

I just took it out for a spin at night to see how well things work. After I got things aimed right (and freezing my fingers off in the process) it was a dramatic difference from the stock. The biggest difference is how well I saw to the side -- I could see. Before it was like driving through a tunnel.

George
Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #158
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Oddometer: 310
Beware - if you have intermittant problems

Got a kit off of someone here on Friday - hooked it all up to test - worked great - temp mounted it and rode several miles and marveled at the increased light output.

Then I went to install the light per the suggestions here and put it all back together and wamp - nothing. About 2 hours of basic troubleshooting with intermittent success came down to if I wiggled the high voltage wire just a bit the light would go out when it did fire. Inevery case I got a bit of a spark. Unfortunatly, the insides of the ballast are potted up so no one can repair the unit.

$39 (9.95 + $30 shipping) gts me a new one.

I'd rather go with xenon rider but they want $74 for just the ballast alone.

Just wanted to let folks know not to put too much stress on the HV wire and if you have intermittant issues this may be the cause.

Bbb

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #159
Ziptie
Second most favorite tool

Oddometer: 53
Yellow lights - Another option

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson
The painted hellas look even better in the daylight Jim. It is virtually impossible to tell they have been painted they just look like an amber lens.

About the paint:

It is made by Krylon and is made for "stained glass" applications. It is labeled interior/exterior and speced for heated applications. I believe the heat will not be a factor though the wear and tear of being 'road facing' and in the weather will be the determing factor in the life of the paint.

I have the impression the paint will be pretty durable and regardless it will be easy to touch-up when necessary and the best thing is that there is no need to find yellow bulbs, any run-of-the-mill H7 will do.

Kermit

Under the better late than never catagory, Xpel makes a yellow tinted 30ml film (the same type as the clear film used for headlight protection) that can be cut to fit. The film has a multiple year guarantee, will take a hit from stones up to 1", and won't be bothered by bugs, washing, etc. I'm sure several of us have their headlight protection kit on our GS's. The web site for bulk film by the inch is: http://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp Scroll down to the headlight protection film towards the bottom of the page.

Might just be a more versatile option for not much more.

Let me add my thanks to all for the suggestions on this thread. It made my HID install much easier. I'm a HID convert for sure.
Ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #160
volbeat22
n/a

Oddometer: 773
I ordered the slim balast HID kit from xeonrider.

I did not have time to install is this weekend but have a question.

The RED plug on the slim ballast (AS SEEN BELOW) does not fit properly. First - the inside of the plug is rounded (GSA plug is square), and Second - the red plug is too deep for my GSA recepticle to reach the contacts.

Has anyone else had this problem?

volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #161
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
I ordered the slim balast HID kit from xeonrider.

I did not have time to install is this weekend but have a question.

The RED plug on the slim ballast (AS SEEN BELOW) does not fit properly. First - the inside of the plug is rounded (GSA plug is square), and Second - the red plug is too deep for my GSA recepticle to reach the contacts.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The red plug fits the plug attached to the HID bulb, the one with the orange seal on it. The only part that attaches to your bike are the two little spade connectors that are on the black and red wires in the right picture. They pug into the factory bulb plug.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #162
volbeat22
n/a

Oddometer: 773
Thanks Jim, I should have spent more than 2 minutes looking at the connectors before I cried I couldn't firgure it out.

I was busy this weekend finishing my second winter project (first was my 950SM upgrades).

So far I have - installed a Zumo with custom mount, starcom, midland radio mount, remote volume control, ptt, centec ap2, heated jacket troller, touratech dash and cover, gerbing under seat power plug....

New thread coming once I get the HID finished!
volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #163
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
Thanks Jim, I should have spent more than 2 minutes looking at the connectors before I cried I couldn't firgure it out.

I was busy this weekend finishing my second winter project (first was my 950SM upgrades).

So far I have - installed a Zumo with custom mount, starcom, midland radio mount, remote volume control, ptt, centec ap2, heated jacket troller, touratech dash and cover, gerbing under seat power plug....

New thread coming once I get the HID finished!
No problem! Looking forward to the pics!

Jim
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #164
AVODude
"Fu Manchu"

Oddometer: 138
HID question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Yeah, that really does suck. I have about 60 rides, and 3000 miles on mine so far, high and low beam, no issues so far.

Jim
In the past when we have installed HID's as a conversion (in auto's) we have experienced a wierd light pattern like two "V"s on the ground. Is this the case with the HID's in the Beemer?
2009 GSA "Fu Manchu" (my third GSA)
Builders of the first BMW motorcycle for the SEMA show
AVODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #165
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVODude
In the past when we have installed HID's as a conversion (in auto's) we have experienced a wierd light pattern like two "V"s on the ground. Is this the case with the HID's in the Beemer?
Not in my experience. I believe somewhere on this thread I have a few comparrison photos. I can see my pics from work.

I have found the H7 HIDs in the 12GS cast a very comperable light shape, but brighter and with more penetration, similar cut off lines though.

Jim