Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #166
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,345
The brown truck just delivered my VME lights.

Although I have to admit I'm a bit scared after reading some of the horror stories in this thread.

Well, guess we'll see how they work . . .
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #167
AVODude
"Fu Manchu"

Oddometer: 138
Hid

I just another HID conversion on a 98 Expedition and we got the same annoying "V" pattern. I would be curious to see a pattern cast onto a wall or garage door.

Thanks for the help on this.

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Not in my experience. I believe somewhere on this thread I have a few comparrison photos. I can see my pics from work.

I have found the H7 HIDs in the 12GS cast a very comperable light shape, but brighter and with more penetration, similar cut off lines though.

Jim
2009 GSA "Fu Manchu" (my third GSA)
Builders of the first BMW motorcycle for the SEMA show
AVODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #168
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVODude
I just another HID conversion on a 98 Expedition and we got the same annoying "V" pattern. I would be curious to see a pattern cast onto a wall or garage door.

Thanks for the help on this.

Andy
OK, I will repost the images:

Stock right, HID left, low beam.

Stock right, left low beam.

Disreguard the color, the camera adjusts for the shot.

Both, disreguard the two small lights, they are Hella FF50 lights.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #169
AVODude
"Fu Manchu"

Thanks Jim. These are the vvme ones correct?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #170
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVODude
Thanks Jim. These are the vvme ones correct?
Correct!

Jim

PS I keep racking up the miles and couldn't be happier with them so far. I do, however, carry a spare H7 bulb in the HID plastic case for emergencies, so I should never need it!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #171
AVODude
"Fu Manchu"

Thanks for your help. I have been looking to carry a line of HID's for the BMW's and V-Strom that come through.

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Correct!

Jim

PS I keep racking up the miles and couldn't be happier with them so far. I do, however, carry a spare H7 bulb in the HID plastic case for emergencies, so I should never need it!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #172
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,997
Just getting started on my install

I wanted a nice clean hole in the back of my headlights so I used a large unibit style step drill. Nice clean holes. Just sayin.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #173
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze
I wanted a nice clean hole in the back of my headlights so I used a large unibit style step drill. Nice clean holes. Just sayin.
I did this too, but had trouble keeping the cap clamped down on my work table as I drilled into it. Make sure it's secure.
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #174
mobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
A one inch hole saw is perfect (25mm), OK OK, 25.4mm sheesh.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #175
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Has anyone else tried using the BestRest HID ballast mounting plates? Seem like a good way for a clean install.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #176
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson
I did this too, but had trouble keeping the cap clamped down on my work table as I drilled into it. Make sure it's secure.
Ironically since I was too lazy to create a setup to clamp the cap over a board with a hole in it I actually held the cap in my hands and ran it up onto the bit in my drill press. I only had the cap sitting on the board to get the hole started in the center initially. Since the cap is plastic of some sort it was drilling quite easily and thus easy to hold onto.

My ballast is actually under my BMW badge on the front of the gas tank on my GSA. It just fit there and should get lots of air. I turned the ballast around and over in its mounting bracket then bent the bracket's tail in a near circle to bolt it in. I only did the low beam for now. Once I know I like it I'll do the high beam later.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #177
Pedro's Jupiter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Eh? HID install issues

I installed the Xenonrider HID kit on my 1200GS this weekend and had a couple of interesting (frustrating) issues/discoveries that others may find useful.

1) the two small wires from the ballast need to plug into the stock bulb outlet in specific manner or the lights won't function, ie: black ballast wire to BMW brown wire.

2) For the bike starting sequence: with the ignition kill switch in "off" position, if I turn on the key, then flip the kill switch to "on" and start the bike the lights do not come on!
But.... with the kill switch in the "on" position, then turn the key, then start the bikle, the lights come on!

Does this sound normal or........

The lights (4300's) are incredibly bright and XenonRider did phone me back on a late Saturday afternoon to help trouble shoot, excellent service!
Pedro's Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #178
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrington brown
I installed the Xenonrider HID kit on my 1200GS this weekend and had a couple of interesting (frustrating) issues/discoveries that others may find useful.

1) the two small wires from the ballast need to plug into the stock bulb outlet in specific manner or the lights won't function, ie: black ballast wire to BMW brown wire. DC current is dependent on correct polarity.

2) For the bike starting sequence: with the ignition kill switch in "off" position, if I turn on the key, then flip the kill switch to "on" and start the bike the lights do not come on!
But.... with the kill switch in the "on" position, then turn the key, then start the bikle, the lights come on!

Does this sound normal or........Never tried it. I don't use the kill switch to shut off the bike.

The lights (4300's) are incredibly bright and XenonRider did phone me back on a late Saturday afternoon to help trouble shoot, excellent service!
Jim
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #179
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrington brown

1) the two small wires from the ballast need to plug into the stock bulb outlet in specific manner or the lights won't function, ie: black ballast wire to BMW brown wire.

Does this sound normal or........

I may be off, it is 8:30 on a Sunday and I've had a beer or two, but I seem to recall a starting sequence somewhat like that to start your bike with the lights off. Could be wrong but . . .

Edit: Never mind. It's this:
Turning the Headlights OFF

The procedure is as follows:
  1. Turn the ignition on and allow the startup-check cycle to complete. The headlights will be off (this is normal).
  2. Hold turn-signal cancel switch for 4-5 secs.
  3. Hold right turn-signal switch for 4-5 secs.
  4. Start engine.
  5. Lights should remain OFF.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #180
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
When I installed my VVME HID kit, I plugged it in the way I thought makes sense, black wire to brown ground, blue to hot. It did not work. I was pissed. Out of curiosity I switched the wires, blue to ground, and it is working. Manufacturing bubu?
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote