Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #181
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka
When I installed my VVME HID kit, I plugged it in the way I thought makes sense, black wire to brown ground, blue to hot. It did not work. I was pissed. Out of curiosity I switched the wires, blue to ground, and it is working. Manufacturing bubu?
Yeah, that is messed up! Brown is always ground on a BMW, as you know, and black is supposed to be ground on the VVME kits I have installed.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #182
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 600
Basic question, but my bike is not here and i can't check! What bulbs suit a 2002 GSA1150, is it H1 for both high and low beam? Is it just 1 filament per lamp?

Cheers

Steve

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #183
Borderbeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
LAMPF possibility

Hey Guys!
Have been enjoying the thread and have a set coming from Xenonrider. I don't know if this has any bearing on the LAMPF error, but I was wondering if it was only the Standard GS owners who were getting this error? It seems that most of the GS Adventure guys are having no problems. If this is the case, my question is... Is it possible that the larger alternator in the Adventure is eliminating the power surge problem? Any thoughts?
Borderbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #184
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderbeemer
Hey Guys!
Have been enjoying the thread and have a set coming from Xenonrider. I don't know if this has any bearing on the LAMPF error, but I was wondering if it was only the Standard GS owners who were getting this error? It seems that most of the GS Adventure guys are having no problems. If this is the case, my question is... Is it possible that the larger alternator in the Adventure is eliminating the power surge problem? Any thoughts?
Not sure, but I have the Adventure and bought the VVME kit and got a LAMPF! warning... Almost positive it was a bad product and not my bike..
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #185
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Balast messing up LCD screen.

fyi... someone on here mentioned that the balast to close to the LCD screen in the cockpit can mess it up. I stand corrected, I placed my balast on top of the speedo and stuff under the silver thinger that caps the cockpit of the 1150 GS.

Well, the LCD screen has acted funny now and then, but works fine, with one exception. My clock resets everytime I start the bike... so the clock has become a timer (so to say) of how long I've been riding; more useful I think.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #186
Vec
Has adventure hangover

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderbeemer
Hey Guys!
I have an Adventure... but from all I can tell the overall electronics are the same between the standard and GS. I git the kit from Xenonrider, installed it, and everything just worked.

In theory the lights should use a bit less power than the standard bulbs... The good thing is they use enough to not trip up the computer.
Vec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #187
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson
Not sure, but I have the Adventure and bought the VVME kit and got a LAMPF! warning... Almost positive it was a bad product and not my bike..
No reason it should do that unless you tend to run with your high beams on all the time. Starting with both on, and possibly a high draw accessory like a Gerbing jacket, may draw just enough to cause it. Or, it would be you reversed the wires, Black to brown is correct.

Jim
Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #188
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka
When I installed my VVME HID kit, I plugged it in the way I thought makes sense, black wire to brown ground, blue to hot. It did not work. I was pissed. Out of curiosity I switched the wires, blue to ground, and it is working. Manufacturing bubu?
More likely the Chinese have little idea about positive ground automobile electrical systems and less knowledge about wire colors typically used for automobile applications.

My made in India HID kits use the typical red and black for the 12VDC power wiring....makes sense. However, most of the ballasts have diode protection to guard against reverse polarity when connecting to the 12 VDC power...you're safe.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #189
Pedro's Jupiter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thinking about the possibility of HIDs tripping up the bike's computer upon start up, I have the Xenon Rider H7 setup and upon start up the bike frequenty gets the "bulb failure" error signal and the light does not come on. When I eventually get the light to come on and go for a ride and then switch on the high beam, it either does not come on or when it does come on both the speedo and tach needles drop to zero momentarily. Seems like this HID system and my bike's electrical system are not a good match. Any ideas on what the problem could be ?
Thanks!!
Pedro's Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #190
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
electrical glitches

Sounds like there are several different kinds of electrical glitches happening to people and I wonder if there is an initial high current surge when the inverter starts up that is more than some of the GS's can bus electrical supply can take. Using a relay to power the ballast isn't an option or you would get the LAMPF for sure.

Since some have problems and some don't it would seem to relate to a variable in the bike's electrical system, which would point to the battery as being the most likely culprit. I wonder if a strategically placed filter capacitor might be able to soften the start - should be able to get something like a 1000uF - 16V electrolytic at radioshack for a couple of bucks and put it right into the lamp connector.

Just a thought.....
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #191
camoGSA
2007 R11200GSA

Oddometer: 5
Time to convert

I have a 2007 GSA and have been through 6 H7 bulbs for no reason that I can find, So you have inspired me to convert my GSA to HID all the way, I am ordering my kit in the morning and will let you all know how it goes.

2007 R1200GSA
camoGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 PM   #192
Mike in Atlanta
Oh Noes

Oddometer: 989
I just did the HID install on my 07 GS this past Saturday. For whatever reason, there was no way what so ever the ballast was going to fit on the left side. I spent HOURS with my laptop sitting on the seat so I could compare pictures in this thread and on my bike, the side panels just stick in too far for there to be room for the ballast. I removed the fuel pump plastic cover and found enough extra room to finally get it mounted and side cover on. I also found there is no way if you have the asscesory plug installed.

I will be making a bracket and attaching the ballast to the upper engine guard. Slim ballast would be the way too go.

07 R1200GS
Mike in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #193
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Atlanta
I just did the HID install on my 07 GS this past Saturday. For whatever reason, there was no way what so ever the ballast was going to fit on the left side. I spent HOURS with my laptop sitting on the seat so I could compare pictures in this thread and on my bike, the side panels just stick in too far for there to be room for the ballast. I removed the fuel pump plastic cover and found enough extra room to finally get it mounted and side cover on. I also found there is no way if you have the asscesory plug installed.

I will be making a bracket and attaching the ballast to the upper engine guard. Slim ballast would be the way too go.
Mine is sitting on top of the fuel pump cover, has 1/4" clearance from the fork, but works perfectly there. Plus I have a plug on that side.

However, you are probably best putting it on a bracket under the beak, or buy the Best Rest mounting brackets for fit. Nice kit.

Jim
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #194
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
I've read this thread a couple times, and I'm really confused about which HID kits will not cause the LAMPF error, and fit well. All I want is a low beam kit. Obviously I don't want to spend more than necessary, but which kits are known to work on the R1200GS?
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #195
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
I've read this thread a couple times, and I'm really confused about which HID kits will not cause the LAMPF error, and fit well. All I want is a low beam kit. Obviously I don't want to spend more than necessary, but which kits are known to work on the R1200GS?
The VME kit Kermit and I both have have been perfect for 6 months and 125K miles so far.

Jim