Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #241
Monroe

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Very cool, and good on you!

Take a close look and see if you can find the "Made in China" marks on them, it where they are made. The vast majority of them are made in China, and not all are bad, as a matter of fact most are just fine.

Jim
Not so much the country of origin, but the "fix" if I ran into a problem. And big thanks to you Jim. I've tackled more than a couple of jobs on my ride because of your input on this site.

Steve
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #242
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
Not so much the country of origin, but the "fix" if I ran into a problem. And big thanks to you Jim. I've tackled more than a couple of jobs on my ride because of your input on this site.

Steve
Glad I could help, and I get your point!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 AM   #243
Clayton Bigsby
Ready

Oddometer: 647
Am I missing something? I just went to the vvme site and they're trying to charge me $52.00 in shipping fees for two kits, for a total of $134.00. I live in Ohio.

How are you guys getting them delivered for $90.00?
Clayton Bigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #244
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby
Am I missing something? I just went to the vvme site and they're trying to charge me $52.00 in shipping fees for two kits, for a total of $134.00. I live in Ohio.

Try this.

Jim
Old 08-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #245
absame
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Reversing HID

Can someone explain how the HID install is reversible. Doesnt seem like you can just plug old bulbs back in if balasts are all wired up, and how is it reversible if you are drilling out the back of the cap??
absame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #246
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
So I started reading this thread last fall after I bought the 1200GS, and have been watching most of the updates with great interest. I actually bought the HID kit (CQlights) for the low beam during the winter, and also bought a pair of Hella FF50s at the same time. Well, time being what it is, the boxes have sat in the garage for months while I've been running around living my life.

Yesterday I had a rare day off so I decided to tackle the challenge of putting all these lights on the bike. Now, I'm ok with a wrench, but I'm pretty useless with anything electrical. It's a miracle I haven't electrocuted myself yet. So, I started around 9:30 yesterday morning, coffee in hand, re-reading the install instructions for the HID kit and also for the Hella's, and got right in there.

By about noon I was about half-way into the job (which means it's too late to turn back and re-wire everything as before), and the advrider website went down. You can imagine my horror.

After several hours of groping in the dark, I finally wrapped up the job around 5pm. Yes, I know, it's pathetic. But I don't care, it was a great way to spend my day off. I learned a lot in the process, and I now have what I think is an awesome lighting set-up: single HID in the low-beam, with the Hella FF50s wired to come on with the high-beam.

First off, I want to say thanks to all who have posted in this thread (especially JVB!). This information was invaluable (at least in getting me started) and I couldn't have done it without advrider.

Second, I have two questions:

1) A couple of times since I put in the HID light, it has failed to stay on at startup. The first time, I had the high-beams turned on (with the Hellas). I assume there isn't enough power at startup with the high-beams on to fire the HID as well? The second time, I thumbed the starter before all the GS's normal startup clicks/whirrs/diagnostic checks were complete. The light fired, then went out and stayed out. When I restarted, I waited for all the BMW's startup stuff to end, and then the light fired and stayed on. Is all this normal?

2) Maybe it's in this thread, but there are so many pages at this point... but is there a guide somewhere for how to aim the HID properly, and also how to aim the Hellas properly (they are the narrow-beam driving lights).

Thanks again everyone and sorry for the long post.

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #247
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absame
Can someone explain how the HID install is reversible. Doesnt seem like you can just plug old bulbs back in if balasts are all wired up, and how is it reversible if you are drilling out the back of the cap??
The HID wiring, on the R1200 with H7 bulbs, plugs into the stock bulb plug, goes through the ballast, and plugs into the new HID bulb.

If your HID stops working, unplug the HID wiring to the balast, replace the bulb for stock, and plug the stock wiring into the stock bulb. 100% reversable in just a couple of minutes.

Of course the balast and wiring are still there, but doing nothing, and not plugged in.

Jim
Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #248
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Duster, slim or regular balast?

Mine with the regular balast never failed to start, but I have heard of it. It sometimes happens with too many things on at once, and does not seem to have any direct correlation to the start-up sequence. Keep in mind the lights wont come on until the bike is actually running, and this throws some people. You will get a flash when you turn on the key, but the low beam will go right back out.

I did not need to re-aim my headlight after installation.

The driving lights should be level at about 25' with the height on the bike, and I like to aim them crossed so the right goes just slightly left of center, and the left goes towards the edge of the road. This gives good coverage of the roadside rodents, prevents blinding if I don't turn them off for oncoming traffic, and gives better coverage when leaned over in a sweeper.

Jim

PS Congrats on the hard work, it feels good, doesn't it?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #249
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Duster, slim or regular balast?

Mine with the regular balast never failed to start, but I have heard of it. It sometimes happens with too many things on at once, and does not seem to have any direct correlation to the start-up sequence. Keep in mind the lights wont come on until the bike is actually running, and this throws some people. You will get a flash when you turn on the key, but the low beam will go right back out.

I did not need to re-aim my headlight after installation.

The driving lights should be level at about 25' with the height on the bike, and I like to aim them crossed so the right goes just slightly left of center, and the left goes towards the edge of the road. This gives good coverage of the roadside rodents, prevents blinding if I don't turn them off for oncoming traffic, and gives better coverage when leaned over in a sweeper.

Jim

PS Congrats on the hard work, it feels good, doesn't it?
I got the slim ballast. Nice fit on the right hand side, even with the igniter zip-tied to the side of the ballast. I'll keep an eye on the issue and see if it keeps happening under consistent conditions. As long as it doesn't go out on me mid-ride, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the aiming tips. The low beam looks fine, just wanted to make sure, and I'll have to play with the Hellas until I get something that makes me and other traffic happy.

And yes, it feels awesome to have done the job! Although my girlfriend did wonder what I did all day and how come the yard was still such a mess. She doesn't appreciate good lighting.

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:14 AM   #250
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby

When you order 1 kit from VVME you receive TWO sets of HID kits. I just ordered mine on Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday, shipped directly from Beijing, China.

Price: $42.99 plus $25 or so for shipping, $68 for 2 HID kits delivered in 2 days from China. What you see in the first picture in the first post of this thread is what you get. Plug and play, no wires to be run to the battery.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #251
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by absame
You unplug what you plugged in and resintall the halgon bulbs. Sure, you'll have a small hole in the back of the cap.. a piece of black duct tape will seal them nicely.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #252
Clayton Bigsby
Ready

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
When you order 1 kit from VVME you receive TWO sets of HID kits. I just ordered mine on Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday, shipped directly from Beijing, China.

Price: $42.99 plus $25 or so for shipping, $68 for 2 HID kits delivered in 2 days from China. What you see in the first picture in the first post of this thread is what you get. Plug and play, no wires to be run to the battery.
Thanks for the clarification, GB. I'm a little scared by the ebay sellers, so it will be nice to order from an established website. And that's a price that can't be beat.
Clayton Bigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #253
dedsmurf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
quick question... did you order the H7 bulb type from the vvme site?
Im going to order these too but curious as to the type (i think its the H7 but im not 100%).
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy

dedsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #254
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedsmurf
quick question... did you order the H7 bulb type from the vvme site?
Im going to order these too but curious as to the type (i think its the H7 but im not 100%).
thanks
In case Rick is occupied, the H7 is the proper bulb for the R1200GS, so I am sure he did.

Jim
Old 08-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #255
dedsmurf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
thanks!!
im ordering them tonight.. as I understand these are pretty much plug and play.. plug the OEM plugs into the device and then the new plugs into the dremmeled holes of the caps. i like this and the upgrade is pretty simple.. im going for the 4300k as it seems to have more output then the 6k and 8k...

Quote:
In case Rick is occupied, the H7 is the proper bulb for the R1200GS, so I am sure he did.

Jim
dedsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote