User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #286
Monroe

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota
There seems to be a wealth of experience here about the installation of the VVME kit.

First: I got my kit in the mail yesterday and of course had to open it up right away. Looking through this thread I see a lot of references to plug and play. I may be mistaken (and I hope I am) but it doesn't look like the kit will plug into an 1150 GS without some extra work.

Two: Can the kit be run with only the low beam on? In other words, will my stock high beam switch be functional?

Last: I made (perhaps) a mistake and got the telescopic dual beam bulbs. Is this an issue? Will they work fine? Do I need to send this kit back and get another one?

Thanks.
First: I won't bet, but I gotta think the bulb connections are the same on the 1150 and the 1200. I have a 1200 and the only electrical connection is plug the 2 spade connectors from the HID wiring loom into the female plug from the old halogen bulb. At least on the 1200, that is all you had to do

Two: I blelieve your switch will still work as the 1150 is a dual bulb system like the 1200.

Last: I'm not sure I know what the telescoping bulbs are. I'm wondering if they are used in a single bulb system for both high and low beams. Will they work in your bike, I'm sorry I can't answer, but I bet JVB could.

Hope this helps a wee bit

Steve
Monroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #287
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
First: I won't bet, but I gotta think the bulb connections are the same on the 1150 and the 1200. I have a 1200 and the only electrical connection is plug the 2 spade connectors from the HID wiring loom into the female plug from the old halogen bulb. At least on the 1200, that is all you had to do

Two: I blelieve your switch will still work as the 1150 is a dual bulb system like the 1200.

Last: I'm not sure I know what the telescoping bulbs are. I'm wondering if they are used in a single bulb system for both high and low beams. Will they work in your bike, I'm sorry I can't answer, but I bet JVB could.

Hope this helps a wee bit

Steve
More than a wee bit. Thanks.

I'm figuring that I'll install what I have, and if it doesn't work its probably close in price to order the kit JVB used rather than send what I have back. And I'll have some spares too.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #288
bodybomber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Question

Has anyone here had a problem with the VVME kits setting off the LAMPF!! warning on start up??
89 ZX10
bodybomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #289
Opus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
The bulb with the solenoid is usually an H4 and is designed for both low and high beam in a single bulb replaces a stock H4. On a bike with two bulbs you do not want to use this kit, On the 1200 it is an H7 setup up, not sure on the 1150. You should be able to wire in one kit and have the other beam work normally, I did my low beam first but then converted the high beam as well.

opus
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #290
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybomber
Has anyone here had a problem with the VVME kits setting off the LAMPF!! warning on start up??
If you read through the thread you'll see that the consensus is that you need to let the bike go through the self check and then the LAMPF light wont activate and the actual HID startup will happen OK.

azgsa screwed with this post 09-11-2008 at 10:16 PM
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #291
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus
The bulb with the solenoid is usually an H4 and is designed for both low and high beam in a single bulb replaces a stock H4. On a bike with two bulbs you do not want to use this kit, On the 1200 it is an H7 setup up, not sure on the 1150. You should be able to wire in one kit and have the other beam work normally, I did my low beam first but then converted the high beam as well.

opus
Yeah, I wanted to believe that I had missed something when I went through the kit right after I got it. Unfortunately, after looking at the enclosed wiring diagrams it is obvious that I bought the wrong kit. The Dual Beam kit is designed to plug into your wiring harness in one spot, with some kind of plug that I'm not sure what it is supposed to fit. Definitely not a BMW motorcycle. The single beam kit wiring diagram reiterates what has been said in this thread numerous times: just plug the hot wire into your bike hot connector and the ground wire into the ground connector. Make some minor modification to the bulb bracket and find somewhere to put the ballasts. The rest is just wire ties and electrical tape.

I am now off to VVME.com to order the right kit.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #292
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
and in case you missed it, when you order the single bult kit from VVME, you will get two as pictured in post 1 of this thread, so you can do the low and high beam or share it with someone else.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #293
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

I had a better idea:

Quote:
Mr. Han Fei,

Thank you very much for the prompt shipment of your product. I received the kit and everything looked fine in the package. Unfortunately I seem to have ordered the wrong kit. I ordered the Dual Beam kit and it looks like I should have ordered the Single Beam kit with the H1 bulbs. I have a BMW motorcycle and the Dual Beam kit will not install easily into this motorcycle. I am emailing you to see what we can do to get the Dual Beam kit returned and a Single beam kit sent out instead.

Just for clarity, this is the link to the kit that I need. http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20023.html

Please reply soon so that I can get this excellent product installed on my motorcycle as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time.

-Nick Schaff; Boyceville, WI
We'll see where this goes.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #294
Monroe

resistor?

my new xennon kit, slim ballast, (that I know is good) flickers at start up, then shuts off and I get the lampf. So, I pull the unit from the bike, again, and stick the leads directly to the battery and BINGO!, I got light. So I'm thinking the canbus is not seeing enough resistance with the HID system.

My next try will be a in-line resistor. My electronics background is minimal so,

(1) if the old bulb draws 55 watts, and the HID draws 35, do I need a 20 watt (ohm?) resistor?

(2) and is my brand new efficient 35w system now drawing 55w because of the added resistance in-line?

Thanks for any input

Steve
Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #295
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
my new xennon kit, slim ballast, (that I know is good) flickers at start up, then shuts off and I get the lampf.
Are you waiting for the bike to complete the self-check when the key is turned on, before starting?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #296
Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxoutlaw
Are you waiting for the bike to complete the self-check when the key is turned on, before starting?
Oh yes, I've been at this for a while

thanks for the reply

Steve
Old 09-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #297
Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxoutlaw
just went out and tried again. I usually let the RID finish it's job and then start the bike. This time I waited longer, say another 10 seconds?? fired the bike, light comes on and stays on..........I dunno, guess I'll try it again in a few and see what happens.

S
Old 09-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #298
Monroe

??????????? works now, go figure. it'll krap out once I get all the wires hidden and tucked away..........

Steve
Old 09-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #299
Monroe

doesn't work now............I'm done with it unless xenon can come up with some ideas
Old 09-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #300
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Dear customer,

Quote:
Thank you for choosing us.

If you ship the bulbs back we can send you a pair of bulbs you need you will cover both sides of shipping.We suggest you just buy a pair of single bulbs and you can use the same ballasts you have received. We can offer $30 for the a pair of single bulbs.
If you want to take this deal, please make your payment at http://www.vvme.com/payment.jsp by Paypal or credit card (also thru PayPal which is the safest and most reliable online payment method). Leave the order details and other instructions in the payment notes for us. Once we have received your payment, we will ship the products to you immediately.

Regards.
I took the deal. Hopefully the $30.00 number includes shipping.