Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #46
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by space
Great write-up, JimVB! How does the cutoff on the low beam look? I've been thinking about this upgrade for a while, but I've always been wary about the suitability of the stock reflector to an HID bulb.

See here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289245

If you still have both 1200s on hand, I'd be very interested to see a comparison of the low beam patterns projected onto a wall or garage door. Thanks!
I have it on video but not on a photograph. I will see if I can get a shot of it tonight.

From what I can tell there is a more clearly defined line than the halogen, and the light is wider and brighter. It seems to me to be much improved.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #47
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Kermit came over tonight and showed off his newly colored Hella FF50 Lights.

I thought it a good opportunity to compare lights on each bike, so the following is my demo on my garage door.

HID Low beam only

Stock Low beam only

HID Low and High beam

Stock Low Beam (Note, Kermit has removed the cover on the tip of the bulb for better light).

Kermit's "yellow" FF50, painted with craft store spray stained glass window paint.

HID (left) and stock, both High Beams, with yellow FF50s on the right.
As you can see the beam for the HID light is slightly more scattered, mostly horizontally, but has a very similar line and height. I am very confident that the HID wont be blinding.

This is an example of a cold flash to pass. The High Beam HID was dead cold, and I flicked it on. When warm from recent use, it is VERY much brighter on Flash to Pass mode.

Also, for those concerned about excessive flood of light outside of the beam pattern, here is what you get:

Virtually identical to the stock amount of scattered light.

Jim

PS Just a note, these are unretouched photos, and the camera made some adjustments based on the amount of light. The HID lights were significantly brighter than the pictures showed, but if you look at this picture:

You can get a better feel for the differences.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #48
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
I'm convinced, this will be on my short list.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #49
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Thumb Again, thanks

More nice pics. I see you were dead-nuts right about the cold flash-to-pass.

I was rather hoping however, that a simple flick initiated an immediate lane-change response in the car I was overtaking. Sadly....

Are the halogen fogs going to create enough heat to blister or bother that craft store spray paint? The worry being where it goes after it liquifies (eg, onto the bike)?

Nice job.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #50
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
More nice pics. I see you were dead-nuts right about the cold flash-to-pass.

I was rather hoping however, that a simple flick initiated an immediate lane-change response in the car I was overtaking. Sadly....

Are the halogen fogs going to create enough heat to blister or bother that craft store spray paint? The worry being where it goes after it liquifies (eg, onto the bike)?

Nice job.
That's a good question. It was about 35 last night shooting the pictures, so we wont know until it is warm and he is sitting in traffic. Same with it's ability to handle weather.

I am going to put some on my Motolight lenses, but on the inside. I am very sure that it will be fine there., less heat and no exposure.

Jim
Old 12-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #51
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
PS Just a note, these are unretouched photos, and the camera made some adjustments based on the amount of light. The HID lights were significantly brighter than the pictures showed...
Cameras will always try and expose for a mid tone. So it's very difficult to take an accurate photo of your lights, especially if the camera is in auto mode.
Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #52
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am going to put some on my Motolight lenses, but on the inside. I am very sure that it will be fine there., less heat and no exposure.
I'm wondering whether that's a testable idea, too. A quick Google turned up not much, BUT I did find this:

Quote:
Low heat temperature:
The generation of heat temperature becomes 75% compared with the halogen lamp. Halogen lamp/Luminescence part 1000 degrees Celsius, CRUIZE HID/Luminescence part 750 degrees Celsius.

From http://www.heartnet.info/car/english.html

Bulb could, theoretically, liquify it on the INSIDE, too, potentially creating a different kind of mess.

Maybe.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #53
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
I'm wondering whether that's a testable idea, too. A quick Google turned up not much, BUT I did find this:

From http://www.heartnet.info/car/english.html

Quote:
Low heat temperature:
The generation of heat temperature becomes 75% compared with the halogen lamp. Halogen lamp/Luminescence part 1000 degrees Celsius, CRUIZE HID/Luminescence part 750 degrees Celsius.

Bulb could, theoretically, liquify it on the INSIDE, too, potentially creating a different kind of mess.

Maybe.

I suppose it is possible, but one touch of the lens after the lights have been on and sitting for several minutes will tell you that they don't get that hot, not even over 85-90 celcius.

I am sure those temps are on the filiment. If they were on the glass the bulb itself would melt down in seconds.

Jim
Old 12-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #54
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Actually, not ... and here's why:

Quote:
In order for the halogen cycle to work, the bulb surface must be very hot, generally over 250 degrees Celsius (482 degrees Fahrenheit). The halogen may not adequately vaporize or fail to adequately react with condensed tungsten if the bulb is too cool. This means that the bulb must be small and made of either quartz or a high-strength, heat-resistant grade of glass known as "hard glass".

[verified elsewhere].

You may still be right, but ... just in case those are higher temps than you figger'd....
Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #55
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Actually, not ... and here's why:

[verified elsewhere].

You may still be right, but ... just in case those are higher temps than you figger'd....
Quote:
Pure silica (SiO2) has a melting point of about 2,000C (3,632F). While pure silica can be made into glass for special applications (see fused quartz), other substances are added to common glass to simplify processing.
You are right. I never realized it was so high.

None the less, the lense isn't even hot enough to burn skin, and that happens at about 80 Celcius, so I am not worried about it melting the lens paint. More likely the weather, rain and wind blown sand, as well as bugs, might wear it off quickly if on the outside of the lens, but it "should" be good on the inside.

Jim
Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #56
kjackson
It's just me...

Oddometer: 191
The painted hellas look even better in the daylight Jim. It is virtually impossible to tell they have been painted they just look like an amber lens.

About the paint:

It is made by Krylon and is made for "stained glass" applications. It is labeled interior/exterior and speced for heated applications. I believe the heat will not be a factor though the wear and tear of being 'road facing' and in the weather will be the determing factor in the life of the paint.

I have the impression the paint will be pretty durable and regardless it will be easy to touch-up when necessary and the best thing is that there is no need to find yellow bulbs, any run-of-the-mill H7 will do.

Kermit

There are people dying every day that have never lived. - me

It'll become painfully obvious when the gun owners become "unreasonable".
kjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #57
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson
The painted hellas look even better in the daylight Jim. It is virtually impossible to tell they have been painted they just look like an amber lens.

About the paint:

It is made by Krylon and is made for "stained glass" applications. It is labeled interior/exterior and speced for heated applications. I believe the heat will not be a factor though the wear and tear of being 'road facing' and in the weather will be the determing factor in the life of the paint.

I have the impression the paint will be pretty durable and regardless it will be easy to touch-up when necessary and the best thing is that there is no need to find yellow bulbs, any run-of-the-mill H7 will do.

Kermit

On to my Motolights!

Did your HIDs come in today?

Jim
Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #58
kjackson
It's just me...

Oddometer: 191
Quote:

On to my Motolights!

Did your HIDs come in today?

Jim
Sweet, you going to be home in the morning? I'm going to run up the river for coffee I can drop off the paint if you like.

No, dag-nab-it, the tracking info said "projected delivery" on Dec 3rd.

Kermit

There are people dying every day that have never lived. - me

It'll become painfully obvious when the gun owners become "unreasonable".
kjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #59
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson
Sweet, you going to be home in the morning? I'm going to run up the river for coffee I can drop off the paint if you like.

No, dag-nab-it, the tracking info said "projected delivery" on Dec 3rd.

Kermit
Yup, I'll be here! Come on by!

Jim
Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #60
studley
Lord and Master

Oddometer: 686
Great thread. Thanks for the tips and links.

Now where is that amx card??????