Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #601
GAP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
hid fogs

Hi Birdie,
I have an 08 GSA and changed all my bulbs to HID. The main lamps take H7 bulbs and the fogs take H11 bulbs. I ordered from DDM and got two 35 watt slim ballast kits (one H7 and one H11) in 4500K which seem to be the most white. In Montreal it is the colour and not the brightness that can get you tickets (from the horse's mouth).
The only work that has to be performed on the stock fog casing is to drill a hole in the back of the housing. I used a 1'' hole saw. The H11 bulb is a 90 degree piece like the original. Wires go through supplied rubber gromment and and plug into the lamp sort of like the original.
About a mouth ago I helped an imate do the switch on his 09 GSA. Everything went well until we turned on the fogs. They didn't work. Did the usual testing and the stocks lit up so not a burned fuse. Finally discovered, through a call to DDM, that the polarity was switched on the BMW wires and while it didn't affect the stock bulbs, the HID required the change which was a simple swamp in a connector.
Lampf message appears from time to time on the read out, meaning that the headllamp isn't working. However, restarting bike sets everything back to normal. No burned bulbs in 12,000kms.
GAP
Old 11-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #602
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Thanks GAP
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #603
SkiFlyRide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Lampf!!

About halfway through my 12k service (with the help of JVB's DVD), I was reading this thread. Since we live in the middle of nowhere and I have to ride at night quite often in big critter country, I was convinced to do the HID upgrade. I ordered my new lights a couple of days ago and am just waiting for them to arrive.

After ordering, I finished the 12k service (thanks JVB!!) and my daughter and I took the bike for a ride yesterday. Today we went for another ride and on startup, I got the "LAMPF" error and no low-beam headlight....

Now, mind you, I haven't received the new HID lights yet. So my interpretation of this situation is that my 2007 R1200GSA has thrown a "LAMPF" error code just for THINKING about going to HID lights!!

I'm guessing the original low-beam bulb just ate the dust. I'm glad I had already ordered new lights. Looking forward to being able to see at night!
SkiFlyRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #604
backspinnn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Did my upgrade last night with vvme 4300 slim ballast kit. I glued the ballast to two different hidden flat spots with silicone RTV. The lights are the 35w ones, but the difference is stunning. Great $65 dollar upgrade!

2009 BMW R1200GS
2007 KTM 450EXC dual sport
backspinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #605
Trash Hauler
FNG

Oddometer: 20
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanista
Hi Guys,

I'm a new BMW owner. I made the conversion to HID lights last night. The headlamps work fine, but neither fog lamp will not come on! I am using the DDM kit 35W/H11 for fogs. The mfg suggest that the problem could be that polarity is reversed in the BMW harness since halogens will function regardless, but if this is the case why did the headlamps work fine? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx.
Just received my HID conversion kits and did a test run--plugged them in without actually attaching anything to check if I would get the Lampf and to check the color.

Notes:
1. With a 2009 GS Adv with ABS and ESA, NO Lampf, not even on first power up.

2. The H11 fog lights polarity is incorrect as noted by Adanista. For a permanent fix do the following: On the HID kit plug that goes to the bike harness, look at the pins inside the plug, on the out board side of the pins is a small black plastic piece touching the pin. Use a VERY small screwdriver such as an eyeglasses tool to very gently push the plastic piece away from the pin. Pull the pin out the bottom of the plug. Repeat for the other pin. Put the pins in the opposite hole (Black goes where red was removed from). Now the plug will work with the bike and polarity will be correct.

3. I got the 6000K 55w H7 and the 4500K 35w H11. The DDM website says the 55w run cool. Agreed--The 6000K 55w is pretty much the same color as the 4500K 35w.

4. I like the color of the headlights, but I'm debating on exchanging the fogs for the 3000K.

5. The 10% rule is kicking my ass and I can't get photos to upload so I will get them on photobucket and post the link later. Back to the bike now.
Trash Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #606
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Hauler
Just received my HID conversion kits and did a test run--plugged them in without actually attaching anything to check if I would get the Lampf and to check the color.

Notes:
1. With a 2009 GS Adv with ABS and ESA, NO Lampf, not even on first power up.

2. The H11 fog lights polarity is incorrect as noted by Adanista. For a permanent fix do the following: On the HID kit plug that goes to the bike harness, look at the pins inside the plug, on the out board side of the pins is a small black plastic piece touching the pin. Use a VERY small screwdriver such as an eyeglasses tool to very gently push the plastic piece away from the pin. Pull the pin out the bottom of the plug. Repeat for the other pin. Put the pins in the opposite hole (Black goes where red was removed from). Now the plug will work with the bike and polarity will be correct.

3. I got the 6000K 55w H7 and the 4500K 35w H11. The DDM website says the 55w run cool. Agreed--The 6000K 55w is pretty much the same color as the 4500K 35w.

4. I like the color of the headlights, but I'm debating on exchanging the fogs for the 3000K.

5. The 10% rule is kicking my ass and I can't get photos to upload so I will get them on photobucket and post the link later. Back to the bike now.
That's cool. That has been my biggest concern in upgrading (LAMPF on an 09 GSA/ESA/ABS). You also chose what I have been thinking. Why are you thinking of going to 3000 for the fogs (I assume the OEM BMW fogs)? Do you use them as driving lights during the day?

D
Old 11-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #607
Trash Hauler
FNG

I do use the fogs as daytime driving lights (yes, BMW lights). The reason for the 3000k lights would be to give them a yellow tint. The 4500k light is very white. That would be good as a driving light whereas the yellow would be better as a fog light. As for daytime visibility, I don't think the color really matters. Either way, the HID is really bright.

Now, that being said, I was chatting with the guy I ride with and he thinks the white is the way to go. Since he rolled over 110,000 miles on his GS I'm inclined to listen.

I just uploaded photos, see URL below. The low beam is HID and the bikes left fog (right side in photos) is HID. This gives a good comparison of the stock color and brilliance vs the HID.

http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/...h_Hauler_pics/
Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 AM   #608
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I do use the fogs as daytime driving lights (yes, BMW lights). The reason for the 3000k lights would be to give them a yellow tint. The 4500k light is very white. That would be good as a driving light whereas the yellow would be better as a fog light. As for daytime visibility, I don't think the color really matters. Either way, the HID is really bright.

Now, that being said, I was chatting with the guy I ride with and he thinks the white is the way to go. Since he rolled over 110,000 miles on his GS I'm inclined to listen.

I just uploaded photos, see URL below. The low beam is HID and the bikes left fog (right side in photos) is HID. This gives a good comparison of the stock color and brilliance vs the HID.

http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/...h_Hauler_pics/
I like the look. The pics are really helpful esp. concerning the color matching of the 55W 6000K vs the 35W 4500K.

BTW, do you have the BMW alarm? There was some speculation that this may have contributed to continuous or frequent LAMPF failures.

D

PS - You have me sold and I will be ordering the H7 and H11 kit in the next week but no install until March :-) I have too many critters around here and more light makes sense.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #609
Trash Hauler
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialdn
I like the look. The pics are really helpful esp. concerning the color matching of the 55W 6000K vs the 35W 4500K.

BTW, do you have the BMW alarm? There was some speculation that this may have contributed to continuous or frequent LAMPF failures.

D

PS - You have me sold and I will be ordering the H7 and H11 kit in the next week but no install until March :-) I have too many critters around here and more light makes sense.
Glad to hear you are going to get the lights. I fully understand waiting til spring. We had a late onset of winter so I was able to ride but Lake Ontario gave us the gift of snow last night so I think my riding is over for a while.

I do not have the alarm or ASC, just ABS and ESA. I was concerned about the Lampf problems too based on other reports, but so far no problems with mine. I'll finish the install tonight and check it out before I put the bike away for the winter.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #610
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:

D

I don't have the alarm on my '09 GSA (ESA, ABS, Computer, fogs). I get the lamp failure often enough I went back to the stock headlamp until I can find a fix.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #611
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick
I don't have the alarm on my '09 GSA (ESA, ABS, Computer, fogs). I get the lamp failure often enough I went back to the stock headlamp until I can find a fix.
Great

What HIDs did you purchase? 35W or 55W and from which vendor?

I guess these "plug and play" units or more like "plug and pray"?

D
Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #612
Trash Hauler
FNG

Quote:
Great

What HIDs did you purchase? 35W or 55W and from which vendor?

I guess these "plug and play" units or more like "plug and pray"?

D
Install is completed and lets just say that the neighbors aren't happy with me lighting up their living room. I'm impressed, too bad the riding season is pretty much over.

I went with the DDM Tuning slim ballast 6000K 55w H7 for the High and Low beams and the 35w 4500k H11 slim ballast for the factory fog lights.

This url should take you right to them (no, I am not associated with the company).
http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DD...5W-101-85.html

I was able to induce the Lampf for both the high and low beams by messing around with the headlight turn-off trick and by a failed start. Turning the key off then back on fixed the problem. I cleared the stored faults with my GS911 after ensuring the lights would work upon resetting the ignition.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #613
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Install is completed and lets just say that the neighbors aren't happy with me lighting up their living room. I'm impressed, too bad the riding season is pretty much over.

I went with the DDM Tuning slim ballast 6000K 55w H7 for the High and Low beams and the 35w 4500k H11 slim ballast for the factory fog lights.

This url should take you right to them (no, I am not associated with the company).
http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DD...5W-101-85.html

I was able to induce the Lampf for both the high and low beams by messing around with the headlight turn-off trick and by a failed start. Turning the key off then back on fixed the problem. I cleared the stored faults with my GS911 after ensuring the lights would work upon resetting the ignition.
That's cool Trash. Glad to hear all is lit. Too bad the season be done.

Was actually wondering about Hammick's details (you posted yours earlier ). His news didn't sound great. Just trying to track down the problem whether it be mfr or 55w vs 35w or something else.

D
Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #614
backspinnn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
My bike is a loaded 2009 GS and I have not had any issues with the vvme 4300 digital balast kit. The silicone rtv was a really easy installation adhesive. We use quite a bit at work and it sticks to metal very well and uneven surfaces like the small flat spots on the front of the gas tank and behind the body panels.

2009 BMW R1200GS
2007 KTM 450EXC dual sport
backspinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #615
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
What is the life span of these HID lights bulbs?

My first replacement blew today, so I'm on my third stock (Halogen) bulb already. Considering the HID conversion.

Lensgrinder screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 12:56 PM
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote