Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #631
Dakarider
INBMWR & WSBMWR Member

Oddometer: 116
response..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
Any response from these guys? A buddy I work with has used them two times and says they have great service and was pointing me in there direction till I hit your post, let us know.

Cheers
I never received a response per se....I sent them an aggressive email detailing my displeasure with their unresponsiveness via their site and they shipped later that day. I don't think that was a coincidence. I threatened them with a paypal dispute and a poor review here. I went through with the review because I felt that this service level was unacceptable and that they should be aware that they were not meeting expectations. I have still never received communication from them in regards to this purchase other than a UPS shipping notification.

I hope I don't have to take advantage of their "lifetime" warranty. I am definitely not impressed with the level of customer service and responsiveness from these folks. I hope I am an anomaly.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #632
Will DaBeast
Go United

Oddometer: 1,360
I might just have to finally do this. My 05 GS has 47K and I just replaced the low beam for the 7th time.
BMWMOA #127619
Will DaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #633
laukkanen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I ordered the 55w slim ballast kit from DDM last friday from their website and it was delivered yesterday. I went with the 6000K bulb in an attempt to match the color of my Micro DE xenon auxiliary light.

Installation is just as easy as Jim says! Just did the low beam last night.. Before drilling out the caps I hooked up the wires to see if I would get a LAMPF, happily there was none.

Drilling out the cap proved to be a bit of a challenge with a 7/8'' spade bit, a dremel definitely would have been easier. I also had the problem where, even with the clip removed, the plug that goes direct to the ballast wouldn't fit through that size hole and made notches to fit it through. I did use a little silicone sealant, probably not necessary but rather safe than sorry for it! One ghetto zip-tie bracket mount later and I was up and running.

My first impression:
My second impression:

I am still running a halogen flood fog lamp on the right side of the beak and i think I like the combination of the yellow and white light. High beam conversion happens today after work. By far the best return per $ of any upgrade I've done.
laukkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #634
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
23mm hole

for those of you who drilled a 23mm hole in the caps, how did you get everything through the hole? i drilled my caps out and i started out making a 7/8" hole but the bulb or the other connecting end (end that goes to ballast) would not go though. i went up to a 1" hole and still could not get it through. finally i drilled a 1 1/8" hole and the end that connects to the ballast just made it through.
i just don't know how you guys did it with only making a 23-25mm (29/32"-1") hole??
now i just have to wait for my bike to come back to install everything
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
kjclark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #635
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclark7
for those of you who drilled a 23mm hole in the caps, how did you get everything through the hole? i drilled my caps out and i started out making a 7/8" hole but the bulb or the other connecting end (end that goes to ballast) would not go though. i went up to a 1" hole and still could not get it through. finally i drilled a 1 1/8" hole and the end that connects to the ballast just made it through.
i just don't know how you guys did it with only making a 23-25mm (29/32"-1") hole??
now i just have to wait for my bike to come back to install everything
I started with a 1" hole, but then I had to dremel out little cutouts so that the connector could fit through. So my hole turned out to be 1" in diameter, with 2 opposing bulges.
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #636
GAP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
The little bit too big DDM connector comes apart and you reassemble it on the other side.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #637
Gambit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
For the VVME kit, I needed a 1" hole and just the slightest relief notch (1 - 2 mm deep) on one side to slip the connector through. There's a strain relief part on the connector that I removed first.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #638
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,301
Thumb New Mount on Adventure

After getting dogged out on my cheesy install of the VVME HID 35w, I really did up a sweet mount. ( 1 ballast velcroed about the headlight and the other zip tied to the crash bar) As stated before I am anal about a clean factory look. Since I cant upload pics try to envision this. I started with some scrap black powder coated ( or wrinkle paint ) metal that I got from our radio shop. This is used to make mounts for radios in our patrol cars. The radio shop has all kinds of this stuff in the scrap bin.

I started with a about a 10 inch by 8 inch flat piece. I used u bolts at each edge to go around the small crash bar where the fog lights are mounted. I drilled a center hold at the front edge to mount to the center screw on the large crash bar the sits behind the small one.

I mounted the ballasts side by side facing down. in their brackets. The front edge of the piece of metal is flush with the larger crash bar and just under the oil cooler.

I then took a second piece of flat metal that was slightly smaller and drilled 3 holes to match up with the other piece. This now sandwichs the ballasts between the two pieces of metal. The second one just happend to be slotted so this allows some cooling airflow.

The HID wires come out the front of the sandwich and go to each side to their respective headlight housing.

After it was all fabbed up and mounted it has to be the most secure, neatest HID Ballast mounting I have seen and not one Zip tie was used to secure the ballasts, only the wiring to the HID bulbs.

Here is Mississippi, on the pot-holed, dirt, gravel and mud-strewn back roads I just felt like I needed a really secure mount. And no jack-leg looking zip-tied crap. Also, if i want to upgrade to the 55w, or slim ballasts or whatever, this mount will be right there and easily modified. VERY VERY STOUT.One other thing. On top of the sandwich there is a small piece of flat alumin. that runs between the ubolts and under the small bar. This makes the sandwich tilt slightly down toward the front to clear the underside of the beak. A good quarter inch clearance this there. Also this HID sandwich completely protects the ballasts.

I will take a pic and make it available to anyone wants to PM me.

And of course, just like everyone else says, the change to HID was quite impressive. I tossed the TT mesh grill because the grid pattern projected was just to distracting.
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "

onesaintsfan screwed with this post 02-12-2010 at 11:34 PM
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #639
cula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson
Hi guys,

a couple questions regarding the install::

1. From the battery, I have yellow and red wires and from the HID kit I have blue and black. Can you tell me what connects to what?

Nothing from the battery goes to the HID wiring, or anywhere else. Unplug the wires from the original light and plug them into the HID wiring, brown to black, and then the other ones. Plug the other wires from the HID ballast to the HID bulb. No additional wiring to fit.

2. The 23mm whole I cut around the plastic base doesnt look large enough to fit some of the connectors through. How did you do this?

Thank you!

The 23mm hole is fine, remove the wire clip on the big plug, push it through, you will have to work it, and then reinstall the wire clip in the big plug that goes to the ballast.

Basically you make a loop fromn the original wires to the ballast, and back to the HID bulb.

Jim
Do you know how to remove the other two connectors? I'm refitting some Hella Micro DE and I'm having problems with the small rubber boot.
cula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #640
cula
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt
I run HID H7s on both high and low beam in addition to two Hella Mico HID aux lights triggered on high beam. I can start the bike with the high beam (and Hella aux lights) on and get no faults. The system really adds a lot of light. When all are on inside my garage with the white garage door down, it swamps my V1 laser detector which alarms. That's a lot of light!!
Sorry, but I don't understand. How do you run your hella lights? Do you have to have your high beam on?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #641
cula
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark79
Surprised you need to pay anything when its the product thats bad. From what I'd heard before they have no problem sending a replacement unit....
"Vide" sau vede?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #642
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,301
My HID Mount.

Why did it vanish?
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "

onesaintsfan screwed with this post 02-17-2010 at 11:42 PM
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #643
splat matt
::.::::..::.:::.::::

Oddometer: 219
I have received some requests regarding my ballast mounts - apparently the pictures were no longer linked and that is now fixed.

The link below takes you directly to my original post in this thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=554
Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #644
cula
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt
I run HID H7s on both high and low beam in addition to two Hella Mico HID aux lights triggered on high beam. I can start the bike with the high beam (and Hella aux lights) on and get no faults. The system really adds a lot of light. When all are on inside my garage with the white garage door down, it swamps my V1 laser detector which alarms. That's a lot of light!!
Does anybody knows what he's talking about? Does it mean he can run his Hella lights only when the high beam is on? Does anybody knows the answer?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #645
Gambit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cula
Does anybody knows what he's talking about? Does it mean he can run his Hella lights only when the high beam is on? Does anybody knows the answer?
Sounds to me like he used the high beams as the trigger to a relay that powers the Hella's so they automatically come on when he turns on the high beams - no separate switch.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote