Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #676
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinSA
Well, I just switched my high, low and factory fog lights to HID on my '09 GSA. I can't believe the difference. As someone else said, it's almost scary now that you can see what you've been missing. I'll do this on every bike I have from now on, it's an unbelievable difference. I live off a dark, twisty, rural road. The drive in the dark is much, much easier with the HID's.

The whole switch took maybe three hours. I thought it was pretty easy, and I didn't take the windshield, instrument cluster or any body work off. Here's what I ordered from DDM:

I used a 7/8" bit to drill out the caps. One of the plugs that has to pass through the hole is too big, so as was previously mentioned, you'll need to notch out the sides of the hole a bit with a Dremel tool. I thought the hardest part of the installation was strapping the ballasts to the light bar, and then organizing all of the wires. Here's a picture of my ballasts:

I'm happy with the bulb color. It's pretty much pure white. I think if you went up any higher on the color you'd start seeing blue.
Mike, I just ordered identical to you and wondered are you still liking the 5000K color for the headlight conversion. I ordered the 6000K, because it only looked a hint of blue, but now I'm on the fence.

I think they are prepping my order to ship today, so any feedback ASAP, woudl be great!
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #677
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwneo
Mike, I just ordered identical to you and wondered are you still liking the 5000K color for the headlight conversion. I ordered the 6000K, because it only looked a hint of blue, but now I'm on the fence.

I think they are prepping my order to ship today, so any feedback ASAP, woudl be great!
I did 6k55 high/low and 6k/35 riding lights. I commute 90 miles round trip and mornings are usually dark and evenings depending on time of year somewhat dark. They make a huge differenence. Not getting flashed, no lampf and a few months ago followed a co worker for a few miles and he drives a Honda S2000 so a low car and told me I'm noticeable but not annoying.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #678
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Thanks GS -

I'll just stick with the 6K/55W DDM's for the main lights. Worse case, someone gets a great deal on some bulbs!

Interesting you went 6K/35W on the driving lights...was trying to keep mine more pure white, but not sure it makes a huge difference.

I'm sure ANY UPGRADE will be awesome!
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #679
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwneo
Thanks GS -

I'll just stick with the 6K/55W DDM's for the main lights. Worse case, someone gets a great deal on some bulbs!

Interesting you went 6K/35W on the driving lights...was trying to keep mine more pure white, but not sure it makes a huge difference.

I'm sure ANY UPGRADE will be awesome!
I ordered the 4.5k for riding lights, they pulled the wrong ones when pulling the 90 degree connectors. I put them in and I'm happy.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #680
BDubbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hello all, what is the consensus on what the best HID product is on the market?

Thanks!
BDubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #681
robbrue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubbs
Hello all, what is the consensus on what the best HID product is on the market?

Thanks!
CQ light has worked great for me. I have both the high and the low.
robbrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:38 AM   #682
Duster929
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrue
CQ light has worked great for me. I have both the high and the low.
Yup, I have the CQ light as well. It works fine, but what I liked the most was the ease of installation. The unit is pretty high quality, connectors are high quality, it really was dead simple to do. That being said, it sounds like most of the plug-and-play products fit that description, and I don't think you'll find much difference between the two or three products mentioned in this thread.

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #683
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Damn... I'm not sure which thread is the most confusing and all over the place; this one or tires!

Vendors:

DDM: TONs of ugly cust service complaints on the Bimmer forum and a few here. No one answers the phone when I call either location.

VVME: Customs issues?

XenonRider.com: Looks like they're focused on motorcycles and at least address the light fault issue. What about customer service?

CANBUS / Light Fault:

Seems to be hit and miss but more hit than miss. ESA option related? It would be great if those who report problem or no-problem would be more specific to their bike year / options.

XenonRider.com is the only vendor I can find who acknowledges it at all.

Anyone WITH ESA on a 2009 / 2010 NOT having this issue or is it completely related to waiting for the OBC to go through it's paces?

Slim -vs- Regular Ballast:

Slim sounds like the best for mounting but someone implied in a post that the light fault issue could be related to the slim ballasts? Is there a definitive answer on this?

Installation and Mounting:

Bulb install looks like cake. It looks like a few inmates have come up with nice clean mounting options but I'm not sure how well nylon zip-ties are going to hold up in places like Death Valley at 50+mph on 70 mile stretches of washboard that will shake your teeth out?

Switching / On-Off Options:

Not too much here about that. I pretty much run my highbeam and PIAAs all the time to ward-off our 24 hr day drunk driver problem in Las Vegas but I at least take care to aim low.

Anyone running HID Conversion kits in the PIAAs?

What are the options for switching secondary lighting such as PIAA lights?

2010 R2100GS Installations:

Anyone here do a 2010 with ESA yet?

Thanks to everyone for the complete brain fry today!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #684
BDubbs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thumb

Thanks for the summarization RobStar! That is exactly what I have been thinking!
BDubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #685
mhumphrey
BMW 2009 R1200GS

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStar
Anyone WITH ESA on a 2009 / 2010 NOT having this issue or is it completely related to waiting for the OBC to go through it's paces?
2009 R1200GS w/ ESA and DDMTuning 50W HID (High and Low). No fault codes.
mhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:25 AM   #686
Gambit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Vendors:

DDM: TONs of ugly cust service complaints on the Bimmer forum and a few here. No one answers the phone when I call either location.

VVME: Customs issues?

XenonRider.com: Looks like they're focused on motorcycles and at least address the light fault issue. What about customer service?
DDM: Slow to respond to emails but they do get to it. No trouble reaching them by phone though they do get very busy sometimes and I believe there's only two people. No trouble with orders except when my error code eliminators were backordered and I had to make two phone calls to eventually get them shipped to mie.

VVME: Very fast shipping by courier. Faster and cheaper to get from China to Canada than it is to get anything out of the US via USPS.

XenonRider.com: Never used

Quote:
CANBUS / Light Fault:

Seems to be hit and miss but more hit than miss. ESA option related? It would be great if those who report problem or no-problem would be more specific to their bike year / options.

XenonRider.com is the only vendor I can find who acknowledges it at all.

2009 R1200GS Adventure with everything - ESA, ABS, ASC, alarm, fogs, heated grips, etc...

High & low beam:
- VVME 35W 4300K install - LAMPF, bulbs now in XB12X with DDM 35W ballast and ballasts now installed in car with DDM 9006 bulbs.
- DDM 55W 5000K install - sometimes LAMPF, sometimes not, very inconsistent. To eliminate connection problems, I spliced the feeds for the ballasts directly into the headlight wiring. This makes for a cleaner install as only the wires for the bulbs are coming out the back of the headlight assembly. Error code eliminators finally received and installed, so far no problem.

Factory fogs:
- DDM 35W 3000K, no problems

Quote:
Slim -vs- Regular Ballast:

Slim sounds like the best for mounting but someone implied in a post that the light fault issue could be related to the slim ballasts? Is there a definitive answer on this?
Definitely go with slims, when I first mounted the regular VVME ballasts, they were huge, and you'll have limited options for mounting. Might be difficult to find enough room for more than two of these.
[/quote]

Quote:
Installation and Mounting:

Bulb install looks like cake. It looks like a few inmates have come up with nice clean mounting options but I'm not sure how well nylon zip-ties are going to hold up in places like Death Valley at 50+mph on 70 mile stretches of washboard that will shake your teeth out?
35W slim DDM ballasts and ignitors for the fogs under the beak using zip ties and supplied dual side adhesive foam tape. Polarity for the provided H11 bulb wiring harness must be swapped. 55W ballasts for the headlights mounted on either side of the ESA bracket. Ignitors for headlights strapped to the frame behind the oil cooler. As mentioned above, splicing feeds for the headlight ballasts directly into the wiring harness and not relying on those wimpy spade connectors will make for a more reliable connection. Not necessary for the fogs because they use a proper locking connector.

Quote:
Switching / On-Off Options:

Not too much here about that. I pretty much run my highbeam and PIAAs all the time to ward-off our 24 hr day drunk driver problem in Las Vegas but I at least take care to aim low.

Anyone running HID Conversion kits in the PIAAs?

What are the options for switching secondary lighting such as PIAA lights?

RobStar
All controlled by stock switches. I have a pair of Denali LED driving lights wired to auxiliary fuse panel and controlled by switch supplied with that kit. Not very useful with HID lights on. Might swap those for Trailtech HIDs one day...
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #687
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,369
Damn...
Old 06-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #688
marcls
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit

Polarity for the provided H11 bulb wiring harness must be swapped.
Gambit,

I experienced the same problem with my 35W DDM H11 kit. Problem was solved by pulling out the connector that plugs into the ballast, turning it over and plugging it back in. But, using that approach, the clip is on the opposite side of the ballast and I'm concerned about the connector becoming loose from the vibration, etc. How did you solve it?

Marc
Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #689
Gambit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcls
Gambit,

I experienced the same problem with my 35W DDM H11 kit. Problem was solved by pulling out the connector that plugs into the ballast, turning it over and plugging it back in. But, using that approach, the clip is on the opposite side of the ballast and I'm concerned about the connector becoming loose from the vibration, etc. How did you solve it?

Marc
Hi Marc,

Take a small screwdriver inserted into the pin end of the connector and depress the retaining tab on the pin while pulling on the wiring. You can easily remove the pins from the connector and reinsert them with the correct polarity. Takes a bit of fiddling until you know what you're doing, be patient and don't pull too hard on the wires.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #690
marcls
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
Hi Marc,

Take a small screwdriver inserted into the pin end of the connector and depress the retaining tab on the pin while pulling on the wiring. You can easily remove the pins from the connector and reinsert them with the correct polarity. Takes a bit of fiddling until you know what you're doing, be patient and don't pull too hard on the wires.
Thanks Gambit. Which connector are you referring to, the original H11 from the BMW aux light harness, or...?
Marc