User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #721
bmwglenn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
HID Install

Recently installed a low beam HID that I bought from Xenonrider.com (no relation or interest), on 2009 GS Adventure. Took 2 hours, could halve the time next time. Wonderful upgrade!! people see me, hardly ever "flash" me and hardly ever pull out in front of me. I'm getting old and can see much better at night with this light.
bmwglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #722
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09
Is this kit any good? I mean will it work on the GS?
Is this better than the more expensive Digital Slim H7 verison?
I would prefer Slim.

Standard H7 HID Conversion Kit
Starting at: $53.32
Sale: $39.99
I used the VVME kit with a standard ballast. No issues, works well. Mounting the ballast so the cables pointed toward the front of the bike and zip tieing to the oil line worked for me.

I have no experience with the slim ballast.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #723
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,302
Quote:
Is this kit any good? I mean will it work on the GS?
Is this better than the more expensive Digital Slim H7 verison?
I would prefer Slim.

Standard H7 HID Conversion Kit
Starting at: $53.32
Sale: $39.99
For most bikes the regular kit has less faults. For some reason the slim balasts have more faults. Also, though the balast is slim, it has another capacitor that takes up space as well.

Make sure your kit comes with the plugs for the cap, see the first post.

My VVM kit from E-bay lasted 25K miles until I sold it with no issues.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #724
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Make sure your kit comes with the plugs for the cap, see the first post.

Jim
Plugs for cap? Jim I did go back and reread your post but did not see a mention of plugs for the cap, am I missing something?

Cheers
Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #725
Silent Panda
Moms love me

Oddometer: 185
I've had my VVME digital balast 35W kit in my high and low beams for 6600 miles. No issues at all. My install is earlier in this post.

Mine was plug and play.

Also just did the low beams in The Wifey's Disco last night with VVME 55w kit. Still plug and play. I did use the regular balast for her truck. They are a good bit larger (2X?) than the slim or digital version...
Silent Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #726
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,695
Anyone work out the height issue? Even adjusted all the way down, the lights are a bit high. So Hi the Hi Beams are almost useless. I actually went to a 100 watt H7 and took the HID Hi beam out. But I have not given up yet. If I would stop riding the bike on a day off and work on it I probably would have it worked out.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #727
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

On my bike. I have found the low beam is almost as high as the hi beam should be. I cannot speak for other GS's. And teh hi beam is too high to be useful. I was running a 35 watt low beam and a 55 watt hi beam. The hi beam lit up the trees nice. And made the low beam area 3x brighter, but never seemed to extend light further down the road. That being said its very bright and clear to see. And not a single person flashed the lights at me since I did the mod. But I think if the it was brought down a touch, it would be much better.
I removed the Hi HID until I can work this out and replaced it would a 100watt H7. I might not go back. The 100watt light is there as soon as you need it. And almost the same color as my HID. The standard bulb just wasn't bright enough compared to the HID(because I put the 55watt hid on the low beam when I put the H7 hi back in).
Until I work out the light adjustment, this is the sweet spot. And what I would recomend if anyone is thinking about this mod. A 55watt HID kit for the low. And a 100watt H7 for the hi beam. Replacing the hi beam plug with a ceramic plug would be a good idea. But not really needed if you use the hi beam like me. Which is just to flash and a minute here and there. If you are worried about blinding people then go 35 watt low. There is a noticable difference between 35-55. This mod will give you all the light you need. And the hi beam will be instant and bright. Which is important to me. I guess thats why even car makers tend to use HID for low beams and standard bulb for hi. The HID lights never come up fast enough.
Thru DDM you can do this mod for $35. $25 for a single H7 kit. And around $10 for the H7's on ebay.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #728
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Quote:
Interesting, do you have to adjust lo-beam down as well?
The hi and low beam are set together. One adjuster does both. So yes, you will need to adjust both down.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #729
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

It was not enough for me. But I am a heavy load. If not doing the hi, then I would just go 35 watt for the low. I doubt you would see the hi at all if you went 55. You would just see a yellow spot in the blue light.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #730
highrpm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Some of you have been running these HIDs for a few years now. One poster mentioned that the lenses in his headlight were in rough shape possibly due to his HID.

Did anyone else notice accelerated deterioration/wear/yellowing of their lenses due to HID?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #731
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Cool, thanks Jim:
Just wondering: Why did you sell your VVME E-bay kit?
Plugs for the cap. Do you think this kit has the plugs included?

http://www.vvme.com/standard-h7-hid-...cPath=44_45_23

Brand new H7 SINGLE BEAM xenon HID conversion kit. This is a genuine xenon HID kit that is E4 & ISO-9001:2000 Approved, NOT those cheap ones that do nothing at all. (Well these seem to be really cheap!)

These kits are Plug-n-Play and easy to install (30-40 min. for a beginner) for your specific vehicle applications and fit directly into your existing headlight assembly.
All necessary hardware for installation is included. These kits come with solid metal Waterproof / Weatherproof ballast.
Looks exactly like my kit. The cap is shown here fitted to the 21mm hole:

Jim

PS I didn't sell the kit, I sold the bike.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #732
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
Plugs for cap? Jim I did go back and reread your post but did not see a mention of plugs for the cap, am I missing something?

Cheers
See the post above. The plugs fit cleanly around the wires and seal the headlight unit. No tape or RTV needed.

Jim
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #733
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrpm
Some of you have been running these HIDs for a few years now. One poster mentioned that the lenses in his headlight were in rough shape possibly due to his HID.

Did anyone else notice accelerated deterioration/wear/yellowing of their lenses due to HID?
25K miles on mine, and 40K miles on my friend's R1200GS, no strange wear or discoloration on the headlight lens or sockets.

IMHO if you are having those issues you either have the wrong kit, or a bad installation.

Jim
Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #734
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Hi Jim:
Now I see what you mean. I hope it's included in the VVME kit.

I'm wondering if anyone found a solution which looks like stock, meaning routing the 4 wiress a different way so the cut out in the cap would not be required at all?
Because of the way the stock wiring enters the housing, in a plug and bundled, I can't see how it could be done without damaging the headlight housing.

The good thing is that the caps are $5 each to replace should you decide to convert back to stock, and no wiring is damaged in the conversion.

I believe the VVME kit contains the rubber plug you need to cleanly fill the hole.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 10-19-2010 at 08:32 PM
Old 10-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #735
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
The VVME kit I bought in August had the rubber plug. It looked exactly like the one in Jim's install pics.