User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #61
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Nice job Jim

I've added a link to this thread in the LOOK HERE FIRST thread.

Steve
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #62
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,449
Thanks, Jim -- once again JVB has helped me spend $$$!!

Thanks' Rat sends

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #63
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Installing...

Hi Guys,

a couple questions regarding the install::

1. From the battery, I have yellow and red wires and from the HID kit I have blue and black. Can you tell me what connects to what?

2. The 23mm hole I cut around the plastic base doesnt look large enough to fit some of the connectors through. How did you do this?

Thank you!
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #64
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson
Hi guys,

a couple questions regarding the install::

1. From the battery, I have yellow and red wires and from the HID kit I have blue and black. Can you tell me what connects to what?

Nothing from the battery goes to the HID wiring, or anywhere else. Unplug the wires from the original light and plug them into the HID wiring, brown to black, and then the other ones. Plug the other wires from the HID ballast to the HID bulb. No additional wiring to fit.

2. The 23mm whole I cut around the plastic base doesnt look large enough to fit some of the connectors through. How did you do this?

Thank you!

The 23mm hole is fine, remove the wire clip on the big plug, push it through, you will have to work it, and then reinstall the wire clip in the big plug that goes to the ballast.

Basically you make a loop fromn the original wires to the ballast, and back to the HID bulb.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #65
thingbuilder
Allergic to Velcro

Oddometer: 26
Fat Ballast Mounting Bracket

I took these photos a while back and thought they might be a good reference for this thread. My used '05 R1200GS came with a Touratech high beam HID aux light and ballast. I decided to make a similar mount for the low beam HID ballast. The material is some scrap .120 aluminum. A couple of zip ties were added for insurance. I had the tank off when I did the work but it wasn't necessary for this. This is probably overkill but may be of some help.
thingbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #66
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingbuilder
I took these photos a while back and thought they might be a good reference for this thread. My used '05 R1200GS came with a Touratech high beam HID aux light and ballast. I decided to make a similar mount for the low beam HID ballast. The material is some scrap .120 aluminum. A couple of zip ties were added for insurance. I had the tank off when I did the work but it wasn't necessary for this. This is probably overkill but may be of some help.

Well done! I am actually redoing mine in a similar orientation.

Jim
Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #67
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Wow, that looks good. I'm embarrassed now to show my set-up, but it was quick and easy.

Did this today. Provides another option for ballast location: Under the beak. It is definitely more susceptible to the elements here, but I'll keep an eye on things and report back issues, if any.

You can see that the ballasts are mounted using the existing bolt from the lightbar. The tabs from both ballast mounts overlap. Used 2 zipties to hold the ballast to the mount, and one ziptie to hold the other side of the ballast to the light bar. Not exactly pretty, but it works

rsimpson screwed with this post 12-29-2007 at 09:28 PM
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #68
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Looks good Ryan, and I might be doing something similar in the future to get access to my accessory plug back!

Jim
Old 12-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #69
thingbuilder
Allergic to Velcro

Question HID Light failure error

That mount looks good to me rsimpson.

Here's a question for the GS experts.
I just went out and started the R1200GS since I plan to ride in the morning and haven't started it for a few days.
The headlight error showed up on the display and I had no light.
When I first installed the HID light, I got the same error but took a hint from another posting, reversed the power leads and turned on the key..no light of course but turned it off, switched the leads back and restarted. At first there was an error but the HID light came on and now there seems to be no problem.
The only thing I have done since the last time I rode was to plug in the battery tender. Did this reset something in the GS brain? Did I let the battery get too low before plugging in the charger? Is this somethng that others have experienced?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks
TB
Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #70
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingbuilder
That mount looks good to me rsimpson.

Here's a question for the GS experts.
I just went out and started the R1200GS since I plan to ride in the morning and haven't started it for a few days.
The headlight error showed up on the display and I had no light.
When I first installed the HID light, I got the same error but took a hint from another posting, reversed the power leads and turned on the key..no light of course but turned it off, switched the leads back and restarted. At first there was an error but the HID light came on and now there seems to be no problem.
The only thing I have done since the last time I rode was to plug in the battery tender. Did this reset something in the GS brain? Did I let the battery get too low before plugging in the charger? Is this somethng that others have experienced?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks
TB

That is a new one on me. The error stayed on after the bike was running, and you had no light?

Jim
Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #71
thingbuilder
Allergic to Velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

That is a new one on me. The error stayed on after the bike was running, and you had no light?

Jim
That's right.
I thought maybe the computer was looking for a specific load that wasn't there??? Somehow reversing the power leads from the old bulb resets it???

TB
Old 12-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #72
Jettson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thing,
what year is your GS. mine is an '07. I just ran a dry run of my new HID. I used the same one JVB installed. I hooked it all up without mounting the ballast....fired up the bike and no light, no light error. I stopped the bike checked all of the wiring, without changing anything, and fired up the bike again. This time the light worked, however, I did get a battery warning light briefly ( it shuts off after a second or two). I started and stopped the bike several times and the light continued to light but I still get the battery icon on the display........oh well I think i will go ahead and mount the ballast.

I went with the 6000K lights and they are very bright, makes my original lights look dull yellow.
Jett
Jettson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #73
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettson
Thing,
what year is your GS. mine is an '07. I just ran a dry run of my new HID. I used the same one JVB installed. I hooked it all up without mounting the ballast....fired up the bike and no light, no light error. I stopped the bike checked all of the wiring, without changing anything, and fired up the bike again. This time the light worked, however, I did get a battery warning light briefly ( it shuts off after a second or two). I started and stopped the bike several times and the light continued to light but I still get the battery icon on the display........oh well I think i will go ahead and mount the ballast.

I went with the 6000K lights and they are very bright, makes my original lights look dull yellow.
Jett
The best way to test it is to hook it up to the high beam. No need to start ther bike. As for the battery warning, that is normal HID or not. If you give it a bit of gas the warning will go out. It is usually an indication the battery is a bit weak.

Jim
Old 12-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #74
thingbuilder
Allergic to Velcro

Jett,
My bike is a 2005.
Started this morning and rode all day without a problem.
I don't know why I had the failure last night.

TB
Old 12-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #75
Jettson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks Jim, I dont remember if the battery icon shows all the time, at start up, or not..........I have a new Odyssey battery in it I guess i might have to charge it.

I was originally going to only put the low beam in however, i am most impressed with the low beam and now I will also install the high beam.
Jettson is offline   Reply With Quote