Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #856
smr238
Sam

Oddometer: 146
The difference between the hid and halogen is amazing. I no longer want or need aux lighting. I did plenty of night riding, alot of it on back roads from Georgia to PA and back down through Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Unfortunatly no pics I forgot my camera.
Thanks, Sam
smr238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #857
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Did you use the high beams or normal beams.
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #858
1offmotorsports
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
HID vs. Halogen

Sam,

It is pretty amazing how bikes still come stock with Halogen. As to why, who knows we have the technology but implementing it has been slow.

Sounds like you do a good amount of night riding so HID's was a wise decision. What kelvin temperature did you decide on?
Our lights are brighter than your honor student.
Phone: 888-225-6418
1offmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #859
1offmotorsports
Gnarly Adventurer

Coming Soon

I wanted to let Everyone know that we are going to have a few installation videos that i will be posting to this forum as well as our Facebook Page and our website as well.

The Installation videos will be for R1200RT, one will be for upgrading the low beams and the other will be for upgrading all three bulbs. Would love for everyone to like it on our Facebook page and pass it along to anyone that it might help out.

We are still looking for other models to install our lights on and get videos so we help out as many people as possible.

Sincerely,

Spencer Tibbs
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #860
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by smr238 View Post
The difference between the hid and halogen is amazing. I no longer want or need aux lighting. I did plenty of night riding, alot of it on back roads from Georgia to PA and back down through Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Unfortunatly no pics I forgot my camera.
Thanks, Sam
Was on a night ride last night with HID low beam. Very cool how the HID lights up the street signs and markings, they glow.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #861
1offmotorsports
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboett View Post
Was on a night ride last night with HID low beam. Very cool how the HID lights up the street signs and markings, they glow.
Video of the difference....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CetBvfIDxRI

I know exactly what you are talking about.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #862
smr238
Sam

Oddometer: 146
I think I got a 4600k. High and low beam I used both low and high about equally. low are adequate high are very bright. Would blind oncomming traffic.
smr238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #863
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I've converted the lo-beam to HID 4600 or 5000K not sure anymore and here are a few more general comments

Like: Lots of light

No not like: Lots of light is not useful light, lights up high in the sky and after adjusting downwards you don't see far enough...so the reflector design for sure does not work with the HID bulb.
- Also installation is far from plug and play after finding a good spot to mount ballast/igniter...
- You need to be lucky to find a kit that works with the BMW Can-Bus protocoll and does not interfere with the
minimum/maximum current draw settings of the protocoll. It took me 3 kits until the last one finally worked (DDM Tuning dual slim kit, I'm only using lo-beam, I wnat one conventional lamp just in case...)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #864
GSMarc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
- You need to be lucky to find a kit that works with the BMW Can-Bus protocoll and does not interfere with the
minimum/maximum current draw settings of the protocoll. It took me 3 kits until the last one finally worked (DDM Tuning dual slim kit, I'm only using lo-beam, I wnat one conventional lamp just in case...)
I have this one but Hi-beam & Low-beam are together in the same lamp.
No prob with Can-bus

2005 HP2E
2005 HP2E SM Prototype
GSMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:38 AM   #865
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I went with a 35W kit with CANbus adapter from 1-Off Motorsports. I tried a couple of others but this unit has performed with no LAMPF!s ever. I was in Mexican Hat, Utah a few weeks ago and left my hotel before dawn to get some sunrise shots on Valley of the Gods Road. I was riding along and decided to try my high-dollar bright white high beam to see how it would supplement my my HID. I turned it on and had to chuckle inside my helmet. I couldn't tell it was on . . . at all. I know, you thinking, "Aw, that thing is adjusted too low." I had a state inspection before my trip and and it's fine. By the way, during local night riding, I've never had a car flash their lights at me.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #866
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,324
I just easily installed the HID50 kit replacing just my fog bulbs. Plug and play. 50 watters. It was stoopid simple. Remove fog bulbs, install HID lasers in the pods, micro ballasts easily mounted to top of crash bar under the beak. Plug in the leads into oem plug the fogs unplugged from. Shrink tube and zip tye up the excess. Uses the same oem switch of course. No issuea at all with Canbus.

Fog pods yes, but turn those suckers on and the friend you let get in front of you just this one time on his 950, will soon have a melted rear fender.......

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #867
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I just easily installed the HID50 kit replacing just my fog bulbs. Plug and play. 50 watters. It was stoopid simple. Remove fog bulbs, install HID lasers in the pods, micro ballasts easily mounted to top of crash bar under the beak. Plug in the leads into oem plug the fogs unplugged from. Shrink tube and zip tye up the excess. Uses the same oem switch of course. No issuea at all with Canbus.

Fog pods yes, but turn those suckers on and the friend you let get in front of you just this one time on his 950, will soon have a melted rear fender.......
Did HID50 have the right angle H11 bulbs ? DDM no longer stocks them.

Thanks !
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #868
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,324
Yes. Right angle. No drilling cutting or molesting. 100% reversable if you wished.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #869
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I took my HID's off my '07 ADV when I traded it in. I don't do much night riding and when I did the HIDs were terrible. Hi beam shot up in the trees. I had pulled the bulb out to see if it was seated properly and I thought it was. Well when I finally took them off and got a good look at the bulbs.....I see they are "warped"....no wonder they didn't shine right. Any idea what happened here....maybe not seated properly from the start?? Anyone else had this problem. Both Hi & lo were "warped"
These are VVME.
Does anyone make kits with metal bases?

Gary

'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 AM   #870
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

I noticed those bulb bases when I had a VVME unit. I didn't keep it long enough to have the bulb problem you're experiencing. I was getting LAMPF! all the time so I switched. I've a 35W HID unit from 1 Off Motorsports and it has been flawless. I've had the low beam installed for quite a while and have covered approximately 9,000 miles. No one has flashed their bright lights so I'm fairly sure I'm not blinding any approaching traffic. Give them a call and they'll fix you up with a better unit. They're good guys. http://www.1offmotorsports.com/

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote