User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 04:49 PM   #76
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Happy New Year's Eve all,

Got a LAMPF! warning and noticed my low beam wasn't working. I pulled over, turned the bike off, checked wiring, started the bike back up, low beam came on, and warning was gone. Road about 20 feet and the warning came back on and the low beam turned off and stayed off. Have not had an issue with the high beam and I run it all day.

HELP! That low beam is important!

Ryan
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #77
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
I wish I could help, but the only difference between the two is that one goes on when starting, and one doesn't. Can you swap the wiring between ballasts? Might work if they are close enough.

Mine has not done this at all, though I rarely run the high beam during the day!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #78
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Hey guys, do these HID ballasts generate much heat ??? I am wondering if there is any problem attaching them with or onto plastic.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #79
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Conversion vs Auxillary Lights

I have read everything I can on the subject and still can't decide on which way to go. I think I am mostly concerned with conspicuity - the GS has as good or better headlights than any other bike I've owned and I have never had a problem seeing what I need to see (using UK Vision Plus lamps). It would seem that it would also be pretty hard to miss a GS w/ a HID low beam.

Seems like the HID conversion could be cheaper (even assuming both High and Low beam) than say a set of Micro DE's and a Best Rest Light Bar and easier on the GS's electrical budget, and more integrated - so it should be a no brainer. But I'm concerned about the lamp faults, and I have also read of bulbs "off gassing" and damaging the lens and reflectors, and concerned about brief intermittent use of the high beam. Some body push me over the edge one way or the other!
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #80
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
This might be another case of a small, rare problem gets magnified over the 'net.

For me, I have about 3,000 miles on my HID's (cqlights.com), hi and lo. Absolutely zero problems.

Absolutely wonderful upgrade.

I mounted the ballasts and igniters in the mess between the tank and the beak. Could probably get pics, if wanted, but ... pretty comparable to how many others have done it. Big zip ties. Survived lots of fairly punishing off road (it wasn't the terrain so much as how poorly I ride off-road )

The only downside I've found? It's made me incredibly lazy about mounting my FF200 fogs on my Terra Nova light bar ... which just sits naked on my GS ... looking, for all the world, like a fixed-wing.

Jump, man, jump.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #81
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson
Got a LAMPF! warning and noticed my low beam wasn't working. I pulled over, turned the bike off, checked wiring, started the bike back up, low beam came on, and warning was gone. Road about 20 feet and the warning came back on and the low beam turned off and stayed off. Have not had an issue with the high beam and I run it all day.

Ryan
I had the same problem when I installed my older HID H7 kit. Mine has a wiring harness that had a relay and was powered off the battery but also had 2 leads to the headlight socket. When I removed the harness to the battery and powered the ballast off the bike's harness, it would do exactly what you describe. So, I went back to wiring it off the battery with a relay and it's been good for the last couple of years. Mine is first gen (??) HID that I've had on a previous bike and is about 5 years old. I'll be replacing it soon with a new gen utlra slim ballast HID kit.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #82
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
I run HID H7s on both high and low beam in addition to two Hella Mico HID aux lights triggered on high beam. I can start the bike with the high beam (and Hella aux lights) on and get no faults. The system really adds a lot of light. When all are on inside my garage with the white garage door down, it swamps my V1 laser detector which alarms. That's a lot of light!!
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #83
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60
Hey guys, do these HID ballasts generate much heat ??? I am wondering if there is any problem attaching them with or onto plastic.
No issues at all, and no appreciable heat.

My left one is now mounted to my plastic cover on the fuel pump.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #84
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I'll be replacing it soon with a new gen utlra slim ballast HID kit.
You tell us where you will get your slim ballast ...

Paul Jr
R1200GSA oO
Old 01-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #85
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt
I run HID H7s on both high and low beam in addition to two Hella Mico HID aux lights triggered on high beam. I can start the bike with the high beam (and Hella aux lights) on and get no faults. The system really adds a lot of light. When all are on inside my garage with the white garage door down, it swamps my V1 laser detector which alarms. That's a lot of light!!
Hey John,

I'd sure like to get a looksee at those lights and how you mounted them. Any chance I can meet you somewhere and buy you a cup of (insert favorite beverage here)?

-jeff

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
- Thomas Jefferson
RoundTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #86
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson
Happy New Year's Eve all,

Ryan
Some times it can be a stupid little thing. On my whole trip to Utah in September I had a intermittent low beam, but reliable high beam. I push/pulled on the wiring inside the headlight, changed bulbs, cleaned connections, nothing. Finally at home I found that at the main plug-in where the harness connects to the headlight the springclip was lost, and the connection to the low beam was intermittent but high beam was OK.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:23 AM   #87
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTrip
Hey John,

I'd sure like to get a looksee at those lights and how you mounted them. Any chance I can meet you somewhere and buy you a cup of (insert favorite beverage here)?

-jeff
Sure, I PMed you my phone#,

john
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #88
rsimpson
Long Way OK?

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka
Some times it can be a stupid little thing. On my whole trip to Utah in September I had a intermittent low beam, but reliable high beam. I push/pulled on the wiring inside the headlight, changed bulbs, cleaned connections, nothing. Finally at home I found that at the main plug-in where the harness connects to the headlight the springclip was lost, and the connection to the low beam was intermittent but high beam was OK.
Thanks Paul, it may be the connection, because the light was flickering this morning before it shut off. It comes on everytime I start the bike though.. weird. What a bummer...
rsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #89
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,869
I too have been reading up on HID conversions, and I am ready to order.

I am currently running some cheapo amber fog lights (so I can be seen) during my 46 mi commute, but they do nothing for illuminating the road. I will likely convert the low beam first and decide later if I want to do the high beam too. I don't want to be blinding and pissing off drivers. According to what I have read the the reflector on the R12GS works well with HID bulbs.

Now I need to decide between the 35W kit or a 50W kit. The 50W kits are claimed to be about 40% brighter than the 35W kits and in most cases twice as much money.

To those of you with first hand expirence, is it worth it to go for the 50W HID kits? Who did you order from? And are you happy with the kit?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #90
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt
Johnlt,
That is one nice looking setup!
I like the red grill too.

Question: what is the "pod" attached to your upper crashbars, that says Touratech on it?