Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #886
AwolArn
Ride-Fly-Boat-Fish

Oddometer: 61
Dang, that was fast! Placing the order until getting the email that it shipped was about 40 minutes!

I don't know what the specs for the Cherokee lights are. It was a rental from our flying club at Whidbey Island. I was getting a night checkout and we were doing a night flight down by Sea-Tac airport when we nailed the bird at 1500'. It took out the prop spinner cover. First I had a huge bird body fly back and hit the side of the windscreen. Everything started vibrating badly and then the prop spinner flew off and came back to hit the windscreen right in front of my face. That was exciting! Better lighting would definitely help!
AwolArn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #887
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
I have the local club meeting next wednesday. I will see if i can find anyone with a gs with 35 or 55W lights to compare to.

Teoman
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #888
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by teomannaskali View Post
I have the local club meeting next wednesday. I will see if i can find anyone with a gs with 35 or 55W lights to compare to.

Teoman
I've never seen more than 55W HID and 35W is OEM, I think 55W is actually for diving lights, I may be wrong...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:20 AM   #889
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Tallguy,

There are all kinds of diving lights.

But nowadays it is more convenient to just go with LED's for diving.

At the momen LED's and HID's are more or less equally efficient, around 80 to 100 lumens/watt. (This is only the LED or the HID bulb, the drivers of both also suck a wee bit of power).

The advantage i see with HID's is you have a lot of light coming from one place. Right now it is very difficult to stuff 100W of led's in to the size of the bubl AND keep it cool. Hence HID's are usefull there.

When diving you have the water that acts as a heatsink, so you can overcurrent the led's and cooling is rarely a problem. Also the lights end up bouncing about a bit so LED's tend to be a bit more robust.

Some random numbers on the subject: the maximum amount of light you can get out of 1W is ~680 lumens of green light. That is all the energy comes out as light, and you are producing 0 heat. Most halogens get about 9 to 20 lumens per watt. So HID and Led are more or less 5 times more efficinet.

Big HID's can be up to 140 lumens/watt. So do the maths, and if anyone is trying to sell you a light that exceeds that they are lying.

Best LED that i have heard of is around 230 lumens/watt. (not on market yet). Ok ones are 80 better ones are 100 lumens/watt.

Teoman
Old 12-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #890
JKGREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Just finished my HID conversion.

Just finished converting my R1200GS A to HID.
Put in: DDM Motorcycle HID Kit, 35W, H7, 5000K / DDM Motorcycle HID Kit, 55W, H7, 8000K / Error Code Eliminator - 3 (PAIR)
Total was $72.50 with shipping around $90.00

The 35W and 5K system went in the low beam. I heard that 55W systems wash out allot of the blue so I went with the 8K and 55W for the high beam. The color match is pretty close with just slightly more blue in the high beam. The 35W allows plenty of extra light without being too bright. The 55W is extremely bright and should work fine since they will be used only when there are no other vehicles around / off road. Tried the system without the Error Code Eliminator first and they did not fire off at all. Installed the Error Code Eliminators and they worked good. No light fail warnings. The high beam comes on rather fast and is instantly as bright as the OEM at first - takes about 15 seconds to get super bright. I suspended the ballasts between the frame outside of the oil lines that go to the cooler. Used high strength tie wraps to mount them. That way they are off the frame and isolated from vibration and definitely NOT touching any fuel tank, lines or oil lines. My only concern now if possible noise bleed through to my cig lighter outlets since the high voltage wires parallel the cig lighter power wire - will need to see if my Ipod picks up noise.

JKGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #891
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Please do report on the noise issue. I am most interested in it.

While my ballast was mounted on op of the lights i once had a dead front gauges issue, after the bike stalled (so the lights were on while the engine started). Which i assume is because of noise.

Teoman
Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #892
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGREEN View Post
Put in: DDM Motorcycle HID Kit, 35W, H7, 5000K / DDM Motorcycle HID Kit, 55W, H7, 8000K / Error Code Eliminator - 3 (PAIR)

The 35W and 5K system went in the low beam. I heard that 55W systems wash out allot of the blue so I went with the 8K and 55W for the high beam. The color match is pretty close with just slightly more blue in the high beam. The 35W allows plenty of extra light without being too bright. The 55W is extremely bright and should work fine since they will be used only when there are no other vehicles around / off road. Tried the system without the Error Code Eliminator first and they did not fire off at all. Installed the Error Code Eliminators and they worked good. No light fail warnings. The high beam comes on rather fast and is instantly as bright as the OEM at first - takes about 15 seconds to get super bright. I suspended the ballasts between the frame outside of the oil lines that go to the cooler. Used high strength tie wraps to mount them. That way they are off the frame and isolated from vibration and definitely NOT touching any fuel tank, lines or oil lines. My only concern now if possible noise bleed through to my cig lighter outlets since the high voltage wires parallel the cig lighter power wire - will need to see if my Ipod picks up noise.

Thanks for the post. I just picked up a DDM kit for high and low beam and am going to install on my 2011 GS soon. Can you post a pic of where you installed the ballasts?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #893
JKGREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Thanks for the post. I just picked up a DDM kit for high and low beam and am going to install on my 2011 GS soon. Can you post a pic of where you installed the ballasts?
I knew I should have taken pictures! Too late the bike has be reassembled. Basically look at the holes in the fairing just above the BMW logo. They were installed about center of the holes. I used 2 heavy duty tie wraps around the ballast and used 4 lighter duty tie wraps - 2 at the top that went through the heavy duty tie wraps and attached to the upper frame of the bike and 2 at the bottom that attached to the lower frame. The space available is a perfect fit. Even though they are tie wraps it is a rather sturdy installation. To keep the 2 heavy duty tie wraps from spreading apart I used a tie wrap that looped around the 2 heavy duty tie wraps in the center of the ballast (flat side). The actual light install is the same procedure found at the beginning of this post - I had a door knob install kit that had a round hole saw for the drill that matched the hole needed in the light bulb cover. Used Silicone sealer around the wire grommet to ensure waterproofing.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #894
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
I knew I should have taken pictures! Too late the bike has be reassembled. Basically look at the holes in the fairing just above the BMW logo. They were installed about center of the holes. I used 2 heavy duty tie wraps around the ballast and used 4 lighter duty tie wraps - 2 at the top that went through the heavy duty tie wraps and attached to the upper frame of the bike and 2 at the bottom that attached to the lower frame. The space available is a perfect fit. Even though they are tie wraps it is a rather sturdy installation. To keep the 2 heavy duty tie wraps from spreading apart I used a tie wrap that looped around the 2 heavy duty tie wraps in the center of the ballast (flat side). The actual light install is the same procedure found at the beginning of this post - I had a door knob install kit that had a round hole saw for the drill that matched the hole needed in the light bulb cover. Used Silicone sealer around the wire grommet to ensure waterproofing.
Thanks, can you clarify did you put one ballast on each side or both together on one side? I'll go take a look and see if I can figure out where you are talking about. Did you need to remove the fairings to get access to this area?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #895
JKGREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Thanks, can you clarify did you put one ballast on each side or both together on one side? I'll go take a look and see if I can figure out where you are talking about. Did you need to remove the fairings to get access to this area?
I put one ballast on each side. Yes the fairing was removed, it is easy. I also folded back the windscreen and removed the instrument cluster because the round black light covers were hard to remove.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #896
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
I put one ballast on each side. Yes the fairing was removed, it is easy. I also folded back the windscreen and removed the instrument cluster because the round black light covers were hard to remove.
ok, thanks...I have the screen, cluster and fairings off but still can't see an obvious location...trying to avoid getting too close to the oil cooler line.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #897
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
ok, I reread your writeup...I think I got it now...lemme go look again.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #898
JKGREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Picture of the R1200 GS with HID vs my Yamaha FJR1300A with standard lights.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #899
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 269
Any suggestions where to purchase 1 inch rubber grommets when installing the 1offmotorsports HID's?
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #900
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanhandleChuck View Post
Any suggestions where to purchase 1 inch rubber grommets when installing the 1offmotorsports HID's?
Chuck, they come with the bulbs. If your's is missing, call them and they'll take care of you.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote