User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #916
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
CanBus compatibility??

So far, I have seen 2 types of HID harnesses. One which draws power directly from the battery and one that's like some sort of a piggyback connection through the 12GS's lamp harness. I believe what JVB has on his bike is the latter.

Not sure it has been discussed here but I did some searching for "quality" kits and found the Philips (Made in Germany) H7 kit (with a harness similar to JVB's kit) but there's a note saying that it's not CanBus compatible. I am not sure why but could it be because it's only 35W and an error code will appear? There's another vendor that sells the same kit and says that if you own a vehicle with CanBus electronics, a 50W resistor cable should be used so the CanBus is fooled into reading the bulb being used is the correct 55W H7 bulb.

Has anyone encountered this before? And what solutions were taken? I really prefer a kit which hooks up directly into the CanBus for a cleaner install.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #917
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie View Post
So far, I have seen 2 types of HID harnesses. One which draws power directly from the battery and one that's like some sort of a piggyback connection through the 12GS's lamp harness. I believe what JVB has on his bike is the latter.

Not sure it has been discussed here but I did some searching for "quality" kits and found the Philips (Made in Germany) H7 kit (with a harness similar to JVB's kit) but there's a note saying that it's not CanBus compatible. I am not sure why but could it be because it's only 35W and an error code will appear? There's another vendor that sells the same kit and says that if you own a vehicle with CanBus electronics, a 50W resistor cable should be used so the CanBus is fooled into reading the bulb being used is the correct 55W H7 bulb.

Has anyone encountered this before? And what solutions were taken? I really prefer a kit which hooks up directly into the CanBus for a cleaner install.

As I've mentioned previously, I've had VVME and DDM units and both 55W units were fine for a while on my '09 GSA. I worked with the good people at 1-Off Motorsports and they hooked me up with a 35W unit with a Canbus decoder and 4300K bulb. I installed it (powered from the OEM wiring inside the headlight assembly) in May of last year and it has been great. I just installed a 1-Off high beam (Canbus decoder in the ballast) a couple of weeks ago. No Canbus issues.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #918
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
As I've mentioned previously, I've had VVME and DDM units and both 55W units were fine for a while on my '09 GSA. I worked with the good people at 1-Off Motorsports and they hooked me up with a 35W unit with a Canbus decoder and 4300K bulb. I installed it (powered from the OEM wiring inside the headlight assembly) in May of last year and it has been great. I just installed a 1-Off high beam (Canbus decoder in the ballast) a couple of weeks ago. No Canbus issues.

Mike

Thanks. I saw the reference to 1-off after posting. 1-off seems to have gotten through the CanBus issue (maybe a 50W resistor was inserted in the wiring...) with much success.

So I imagine the high beam kit is exactly the same kit as the low beam? I noticed that the site offers the high beam kit for only $60 if ordered together with the low beam kit.

One last thing, did the 1-off kit come with with a rear bulb cover so we don't have to drill a hole on our OE cover. Protective grommet/dust cover also included?
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 01-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #919
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie View Post
Thanks. I saw the reference to 1-off after posting. 1-off seems to have gotten through the CanBus issue (maybe a 50W resistor was inserted in the wiring...) with much success.

So I imagine the high beam kit is exactly the same kit as the low beam? I noticed that the site offers the high beam kit for only $60 if ordered together with the low beam kit.

One last thing, did the 1-off kit come with with a rear bulb cover so we don't have to drill a hole on our OE cover. Protective grommet/dust cover also included?

I assumed the high beam was the same as the low. If you have the inkling to do the high beam, I'd go ahead and get it at the same time as it will save you a few bucks. I did the high beam because my Bright White PIAA bulb was overpowered by the low beam HID. Shoot, I thought the halogen high beam had burned out! I ordered the high beam with a 4300K bulb and the color is pretty consistant with a the OEM halogen.

You do have to drill the cover(s) on the headlight but the bulbs come with a rubber grommet so it's no big deal. I drilled my 7/8" and open it just a bit with with sandpaper in order to get a very tight fit.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #920
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Go with 1-off...they will take care of you. I cheaped out and bought the DDM kit and while the high beam works fine, the low beam gives lamp error. Don't worry about drilling the lamp covers, they are very cheap at the dealer if you ever want to reverse and go back to halogen beam, but you won't No need to wire direct to battery...its a true plug and play kit.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #921
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Go with 1-off...they will take care of you. I cheaped out and bought the DDM kit and while the high beam works fine, the low beam gives lamp error. Don't worry about drilling the lamp covers, they are very cheap at the dealer if you ever want to reverse and go back to halogen beam, but you won't No need to wire direct to battery...its a true plug and play kit.
Zero issues on lo-beam on my 2010 R1200GS with DDM 35W digital slim ballast.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #922
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Zero issues on lo-beam on my 2010 R1200GS with DDM 35W digital slim ballast.
Strange...either DDM changed ballasts or something changed with the GS in the '11 model year. I know they sell an add-on module as well, but the guy told me that he didn't think that would help with the canbus issues, so I didn't get it. His suggestion was to cut the stock wiring and put a resistor in. Are you using the add-on box by chance?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #923
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Strange...either DDM changed ballasts or something changed with the GS in the '11 model year. I know they sell an add-on module as well, but the guy told me that he didn't think that would help with the canbus issues, so I didn't get it. His suggestion was to cut the stock wiring and put a resistor in. Are you using the add-on box by chance?
No, only using the ballast and separate igniter module, no resistor and Can-Bus "crap".
I got the dual kit but only using one on the lo-beam...
As we all know there is maybe only one hughe company in China making these kits
so all bulbs, ballasts and igniters are the same but the hughe difference is in vendor support.
DDM and VVME offer no support, mostly direct shipping from China.

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 07:49 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #924
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
No, only using the ballast and separate igniter module, no resistor and Can-Bus "crap".
I got the dual kit but only using one on the lo-beam...
As we all know there are one a few or maybe one hughe company in China making these kits
so all bulbs, ballasts and igniters are the same but the hughe difference is in vedor support.
DDM and VVME no support.
Yeap, that's why I thought I could squeak by with the DDM kit and save some money. Seems as though the 1-off motorsports people have worked a lot with BMW owners so they know which versions work and which don't, etc and will stand behind it...so there is some value in that.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #925
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Thanks guys! Since I have not heard a single negative thing about the kit from 1-off, I am sold! Placing an order now
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 01-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #926
AwolArn
Ride-Fly-Boat-Fish

Oddometer: 62
+1 for 1Off! I got my kit in the mail within days of ordering it. I had an issue with the Hi Beam. It did not work. I sent a PM to them on here and had TWO guys email, PM, and call me to get it right! I had the replacement part in a couple days. Plugged it in and it worked as advertised. I'd buy again from them in a heartbeat! I work for a Customer Service oriented airline and know good service when I receive it. Thanks 1Off! You guys ROCK!

Oh yeah, so do the lights. Lots brighter, the beam is wider, and I can see things that I didn't know were there before at night...Hey is that a stop sign out here? Damn!

On the installation: take your time taking the windshield off and on. I lost one of the damn weird doohickey threaded nut connectors and BMW wanted $65 cause I had to buy the whole kit to get that one dang piece! I spent 2 hours looking for it. I think it's in Dropped-Part Heaven! I went to Napa and they gave me 6 nuts and washers for free and I got it on. The easy part is installing the light. The hard part is putting the dang windscreen back on!

Cheers!
AwolArn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #927
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwolArn View Post
+1 for 1Off! I got my kit in the mail within days of ordering it. I had an issue with the Hi Beam. It did not work.

Maybe they accidentally sent you the wrong ballast? Just found out that you can't use the high beam kit for your low beam, thinking that both kits are identical but they are not. The ballasts are different. The low beam kit has a ballast that is "canbus integrated", whatever that means.

I agree, these guys are good
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #928
EJ_92606
Rider

Bad news guys, on the Vendor forum they just posted that they are back ordered due to customs issues.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #929
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Quote:
Bad news guys, on the Vendor forum they just posted that they are back ordered due to customs issues.

Tell me about it! My order's part of that! But the guy said that everything should be set for shipping be early next week at the latest.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #930
awalker14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
You'll be glad you waited. +1 for 1 Off. Can't beat the service or the product. Have both the Low and Hi and am happy.
awalker14 is offline   Reply With Quote