Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #931
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
Tell me, does their high beam kit really make a big diff? Just got the low beam kit, thinking that I never really use the high beam. I have PIAA 520s for for long distance illumination duties.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #932
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie View Post
Tell me, does their high beam kit really make a big diff? Just got the low beam kit, thinking that I never really use the high beam. I have PIAA 520s for for long distance illumination duties.
When I did it I didn't even think twice about it, lo-beam only 4me.
Reason: Ballast and mounting as easy as it can be, if done properly lot's of work.
It's nice to be able to quickly replace the H7 bulb, just in case, without having to lug around
a closed cap for the assembly...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #933
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Agree. H7 bulb in there is the ideal and easier fallback JIC. Looking at the beam the stock high H7 throws, it's so straight and narrow that many times it's useless. I didn't believe replacing it to HID would make much diff.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #934
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I checked out the 1-off system and to me it looks like they are just repackaging the same slim ballast kit as most are selling with a "canbus canceller/anti-flicker module" which is readily available (Amazon) for $14/pair. From my research there are more that are happy with the DDM kit than unhappy with them and they are half the price (with the addition of a canbus module) than the 1-off. My guess is that most of these systems are being made in the same factory in China and that (along with their popularity) is why they have gotten so cheap.

DualMule screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 09:10 PM
DualMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #935
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
I checked out the 1-off system and to me it looks like they are just repackaging the same slim ballast kit as most are selling with a "canbus canceller/anti-flicker module" which is readily available (Amazon) for $14/pair. From my research there are more that are happy with the DDM kit than unhappy with them and they are half the price (with the addition of a canbus module) than the 1-off. My guess is that most of these systems are being made in the same factory in China and that (along with their popularity) is why they have gotten so cheap.
Yes but who wants to use these cancellers, basically power hungry resistors if you don't have to?
I got lucky with my DDM kit because it works. Once you start adding "Can Bus Cancellers" you're having an issue I think. You only need a ballast which works and often it takes 3 ballasts before one works so it's nice to work with a vendor with built in service so to say. I bought VVME and HID50.com before finding the DDM kit....
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #936
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

Quote:
On my '09 GSA, it makes a big difference. Last fall, I spent the night in Mexican Hat, Utah and wanted to do some sunrise photography on Valley of the Gods Road. I got up about an hour before Ol' Sol and headed up the road with the 1-Off HID low beam guiding my path. There was no traffic, no moon and no lights anywhere so I decided to unleash my PIAA Bright White. I hit the switch and nothing changed! There was no discernible difference in illumination. I even stopped to check and see if the bulb had burned out. It hadn't. The low beam HID simply overpowered it.

I changed the high beam to another 1-Off unit last month and I've only done a test ride. It really lit things up. I'll put it through its paces in about three weeks when I head to the west coast.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #937
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Yes but who wants to use these cancellers, basically power hungry resistors if you don't have to?
I got lucky with my DDM kit because it works. Once you start adding "Can Bus Cancellers" you're having an issue I think. You only need a ballast which works and often it takes 3 ballasts before one works so it's nice to work with a vendor with built in service so to say. I bought VVME and HID50.com before finding the DDM kit....
"power hungry resistors"? Show me the math in that logic. Either way we are arguing the same point, I don't think the 1-off kit is anything special.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #938
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
"power hungry resistors"? Show me the math in that logic. Either way we are arguing the same point, I don't think the 1-off kit is anything special.

I'm certainly no electrical engineer but this I know was my experience: DDM and VVME units worked for a little while on my '09 GSA before they started giving the familiar LAMPF! Both suppliers had virtually non-existant customer.

1-Off supplied me with a product that works consistantly and customer service to help when needed.

YMMV,

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #939
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
I'm certainly no electrical engineer but this I know was my experience: DDM and VVME units worked for a little while on my '09 GSA before they started giving the familiar LAMPF! Both suppliers had virtually non-existant customer.

1-Off supplied me with a product that works consistantly and customer service to help when needed.

YMMV,

Mike
My VVME 35 watt 4300 kit worked flawlessly (high and low beam) for overy 35K miles. As far as I know it still is with the new owner. I believe it is bike dependent whether or not they work long term.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #940
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

YMMV,

Mike
I have to agree there, certainly customer service adds value to the equation, but the 1-off systems have the "power hungry" resistor tallguy was complaining about. You're loosing so much power (you'll have to ask tallguy...he obviously knows how much) how do you manage to ride without the power? Yes, that's my attempt at funny.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #941
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
I have to agree there, certainly customer service adds value to the equation, but the 1-off systems have the "power hungry" resistor tallguy was complaining about. You're loosing so much power (you'll have to ask tallguy...he obviously knows how much) how do you manage to ride without the power? Yes, that's my attempt at funny.
I was thinking 35W HID vs 55W stock H7 bulb, isn't the intention of the "CAN-Bus" canceller to eat the difference
and turning it into heat?
I wanted to say that the HID system should work without the canceller but the ballast/igniter needs to work, it's simple and yet so complicated
I'm totally fine with my DDM kit but rather would go straight to 1-off next time without experimenting with other stuff...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #942
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
My VVME 35 watt 4300 kit worked flawlessly (high and low beam) for overy 35K miles. As far as I know it still is with the new owner. I believe it is bike dependent whether or not they work long term.

Jim
Yeah, gosh, who knows, Jim? I've seen DDMs and VVMEs work flawlessly and there are plenty on this thread who agree. I think you're dead on the money as far as it being "bike dependent."

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend

mikegc screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 07:42 AM
Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #943
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Quote:
I think you're dead on the money as far as it being "bike dependent."

Mike

Meaning, buying HID kits will always be a crapshoot Next best resort is having excellent customer service when the "somewhat expected" happens.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #944
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Meaning, buying HID kits will always be a crapshoot Next best resort is having excellent customer service when the "somewhat expected" happens.
You got that right! Hey, if you screw it up, get JVB's DVD and learn what you should have done in the first place!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #945
angtlalaska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
HID conversion on a 12GS

The 1 Off Xeon system was installed on my 1200GS last summer by the guys at 1 Off so they could use it in the video. I have a Touratech instrument cluster panel and sun visor which made the installation more difficult. I removed the windscreen and the Touratech parts so they could video easier but in my opinion you really only needed to remove the front beak so you could have easy access to mounting the ballasts. I purchased the high/low package with 6,000K bulbs because I prefer the whiter light. I also selected the 55w high beam ballast just because - but I don't see that option on their web site now. The installation took far longer than it would normally have taken just so they could shoot from 6 different angles and select the best for the final cut. I found that placing the ballasts in the “hole” made by the frame worked best for securing the ballast. They show a silver triangle type metal bracket but my kit came with rectangular metal brackets and I found that they worked better. The lights plugged into the can bus system and I have not had an issue in 7 months of riding. I rode down from San Pedro to San Diego to have the installation filmed and stayed too long talking to other motorcycle riders so I came back after 7:00 PM in rush hour traffic in the dark. I felt that you could have read a newspaper in front of the bike yet no one seemed to mind the lights as I drove up on them even when I lane split. I also have a set of Twisted Throttle Denali lights on my upper crash bar that are controlled via the GSA aux light switch. I have many GSA options on this bike including a fuel tank. I run with the Denali’s on all the time and my low beam. I passed several people who knew me and all mentioned that they clearly saw me coming but that the lights were not over powering or offensive. I have had many who tell me that during the day they clearly see me coming towards them but again the light is not offensive. The week after I added the 1 Off I drove from San Pedro to Carmichael to run my GS on some off-road tails at Prairie City leaving LA at 7:00 PM and arriving in Carmichael at 2 in the morning. I used the high beam from time to time and while impressive, I felt that it did not reach out far enough to be driving above 80. I also own a 7 series BMW and they have unbelievable high beams. As a result I stopped at Clearwater Lights’ shop in Rancho Cordova and picked up brackets to place my Denali’s on the lower forks and will add a set of Krista’s on my upper crash bar to really reach out. I live in Alaska and while most of my ridding is in the summer, its never really dark enough not to see. I prefer the 1 Off and Denali to “be seen”. I think that is their greatest asset. Love the lifetime warrantee but have never had a head light bulb go out in 30 years. Plenty of directional bulbs and brake light bulbs. You can see in the 1 Off video I opted to put the BMW LED directional lights on also. I love the Xeon lights and love even more the LED lights. The installation was a breeze and no issues with the can bus. I highly recommend the 1 Off. My riding buddy has all stock lights on his 08 GS and I can tell you I am seen long before he is.

angtlalaska screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 01:12 PM
angtlalaska is offline   Reply With Quote