User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #976
webjester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
CANbus and Lampf! - all explained

OK guys, after reading all this guess work about CAN bus and Lampf I thought I shed some light on it since I have spent a good part of my life as engineering manager at Hella designing CAN bus, HID ballasts and lamp outage control modules (for BMW!, long time ago). So, it is going to get technical, bare with me:

CAN bus, as somebody explained earlier, means Controller Area Network. All it means is, that a variety of electronic controllers have a way to communicate with each other via short digital messages (e.g., vehicle speed, engine rpm, temperature and many other things including bulb outage from the central control module to the display). So CAN bus only sends the bulb outage condition message from the detecting module to the display. That's it.

What is causing this message is the central contoller (not sure what the BMW guys call it, I have yet to review the electrical diagrams) that is measuring the current to the lamp, typically in the ground connection (for electronical reasons). It measures whether that current is between a minimum and maximum value to ensure that a bulb in good condition is connected and that there is no short on the output that would otherwise destroy the controller. The window of acceptance is typically somewhat above and below the nominal current: 55W divided by 13.5V = 4.1 A to account for variations in voltage (9-16V), temperature, manufacturing tolerances and voltage drops along wiring and control module etc. In the past we only had a minimum current and let the fuse handle a short circuit. I am sure BMW is more sophisticated now.

The first problem with HID is, that the wattage is less and it therefore draws less current (e.g., 35W/13.5V). the second is, that it does not draw a constant current. The current has a high spike at the beginning then drops dramatically,goes up above normal and finally drops to a steady state as determined by wattage divided by voltage. This phase can last for 30 sec (until the light stabilizes). Bottom line, if the module measures at a time where the current is outside the acceptance window, it will create Lampf! The HID current pattern varies a lot(!) depending on voltage, bulb and ballast temperature and many other factors. Hence the extremely random appearance of Lampf! that all of you are reporting.

Now what complicates it more is that the control module needs to check that current very quickly after switching the bulb on to avoid destruction in case of a short circuit. On the other hand, the current draw with a halogen bulb also has an inrush portion (while the bulb reaches full brightness) at which it draws about 5x the normal (steady state) current. This typically lasts about 100 to 500ms. The module has to wait that long before it can reliably measure the current.

So, two possibilities:
a. the current of the HID may actually be (still) too high at the time the controller measures it and therefore creates a Lampf! to protect the circuit (typically the inrush period for HID is several seconds).
b. it actually measures during a period of the ramp-up when the current is too low (which would explain the lampf cancel devices).

It is hard to say without measuring as the technologies for HID vary a lot. But...we'll find out:

So, yeah, I just received my DDM kit yesterday and, so god gives me time between the work-for-money-engineering and fixing the sailboat, I can do some real engineering and check what is happening with these modules. Sorry, it is not going to be this weekend - need to pamper the lady after last weekend's ride from MI to KY. Stay tuned...I will post some examples for the current graphs and hopefully some solutions soon.
webjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #977
webjester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
CANbus and Lampf! - all explained - one more thing...

We also have to assume that the controller checks the lamp condition repeatedly, while you're under way, say every 100ms or so (strategy depends on the engineering team and can vary a lot). So, it eventually will measure during a time when the HID current stabilizes and reaches its minimum. Which may be just below the minimum threshold that the controller considers acceptable (Lampf!). In this case, we can either put a resistor in parallel with the HID or an additional "night" light, i.e., something that draws enough current to just bring the total current above the threshold. My guess is, that it won't take much, since most people only report Lampf! on occasion. Details later, when I understand the DDM HID better.
webjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #978
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,764
Installed the
1Off Motorsports (IIRC) slim ballast in an 11 R1200GSA last night, high and low beam now. Nice easy fit. I have photos and will share them tonight. I also installed an LED park light too. Looks great.

Jim

Edit, oops,
1Off Motorsports

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 05:57 AM
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #979
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

2011 GSA I assisted in the install of high and low beams, as well as a few other items!

Jim
Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #980
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Looks like 1-off Motorsports HID rather than DDM...which is a good call as my low beam DDM slim ballast created a lampf error. What brand/model of LED parking light bulb did you use and where can I buy one?

Thanks,
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #981
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Looks like 1-off Motorsports HID rather than DDM...which is a good call as my low beam DDM slim ballast created a lampf error. What brand/model of LED parking light bulb did you use and where can I buy one?

Thanks,
On my 2010 GS the DDM slim ballast works flawlessly for close to 2 years, they are all the same...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #982
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
On my 2010 GS the DDM slim ballast works flawlessly for close to 2 years, they are all the same...
Well, when you call DDM and tell them their ballast creates an error, their response is to tell me to solder a resistor into my brand new bike's wiring....when you call 1-off, they solve the problem for you by sending you a ballast that works. So ballasts aren't all the same, some work some don't and as I noted, customer service certainly isn't the same, but then again price isn't either.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #983
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

Quote:

Thanks,
EJ,

I got my LED parking light at 1-Off. I'd give Spence or Chris a call to check if they still have them.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #984
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
That's where I got mine, and HID low and high. 1Off are absolutely fantastic folks. And many thanks to JVB for a slick install on the HIDs (the LED is a bulb replacement):

Before:

After:

NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #985
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:

Thanks,
Sorry, you are right, it was 1Off Motorsports. I didn't buy them, just installed them, so I was not sure.

Jim
Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #986
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,038
Thumb Thanks..

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the install picture on the HID kit. This is my next project on my GSA and you make it look so easy...

Ride Safe,
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #987
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Kildala --

Oil cooler guard looks great, and install was a snap! Thanks!
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #988
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
2011 GSA I assisted in the install of high and low beams, as well as a few other items!

Jim
Very strange that your 1-off bulb has the return wire on the bottom. My 1-off has the return wire on top!
How is your light pattern? Hope its better than mine! I wonder if my bulb is made upside-down???!!!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #989
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
Very strange that your 1-off bulb has the return wire on the bottom. My 1-off has the return wire on top!
How is your light pattern? Hope its better than mine! I wonder if my bulb is made upside-down???!!!
Somethin' fishy here. There is only one way to put in the H7 but the high and low are flipped. By one way, I mean that there is a tang on the bulb that fits into the headlight housing one way. Mine is on the bottom too, and yes that would change the pattern. Maybe Chinese bulb makers make a mistake now and again
Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #990
regnock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
That's where I got mine, and HID low and high. 1Off are absolutely fantastic folks. And many thanks to JVB for a slick install on the HIDs (the LED is a bulb replacement):

Before:

After:

Where did you source the LED replacement, I've been wanting to do this. Haven't ordered one since I wanted to make sure the one I got didn't cause a LAMPF.