Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #1021
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Ordered another replacement resistor, an 18 ohm 50 watt resistor from sun-pec.com - 50W resistors

This is the first one I have found (as a single resistor) that has a resistance low enough and a high enough wattage rating for what I want to do. All of the previous web searches had shown a limited selection - I had to combine two 8 ohm resistors in series to make a 16 ohm resistor. Hopefully this will work out and won't be a bust.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #1022
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
14.4V / 18 ohms = 0.8 amps
14.4* 0.8 = 11.5 watts

As the resistance in the bulbs should be around 3.8 ohms.

I am surprised the canbus doesnt complain about that value...

If i had to "waste" 11 watts of power i would install lots of leds instead of a resistor making the bike look like an xmas tree, or maybe a little heated seat pad just big enough to warm left nad.
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #1023
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

What is working right now is the 16 ohm resistance which I guess is around 13 watts of power. Don't know about the 18 ohm resistor yet.

I like the LED lights (being somewhere) option - or something else. Your right - might as well put it to use.

Edit-
I did try using just 8 ohms - and that was a bad idea. The resistor was hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns with just a slight touch; so I though I'd up the value some... at 16 ohms it was barely luke warm - good enough.

WindSailor screwed with this post 05-27-2012 at 01:02 AM
Old 05-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #1024
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by teomannaskali View Post
14.4V / 18 ohms = 0.8 amps
14.4* 0.8 = 11.5 watts

As the resistance in the bulbs should be around 3.8 ohms.

I am surprised the canbus doesnt complain about that value...

If i had to "waste" 11 watts of power i would install lots of leds instead of a resistor making the bike look like an xmas tree, or maybe a little heated seat pad just big enough to warm left nad.
Maybe it's just semantics but I believe this entire topic is not a CANBUS issue but an ECU/ZFE issue. The sensor in the ECU is IMO looking at the startup volts/current as a function of time. Thats why those error killers are not just resistors but capacitors (with maybe a resistor too but I'm not tearing mine apart to find out, it works). Now if it is a capacitor, there is no DC power consumption.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #1025
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post
Maybe it's just semantics but I believe this entire topic is not a CANBUS issue but an ECU/ZFE issue. The sensor in the ECU is IMO looking at the startup volts/current as a function of time. Thats why those error killers are not just resistors but capacitors (with maybe a resistor too but I'm not tearing mine apart to find out, it works). Now if it is a capacitor, there is no DC power consumption.
Capacitors can explode with wrong polarity...I'm happy I found a slim digital kit that gives me no trouble at all.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #1026
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Some one who doesnt have anal violation at their customs should chop one up. Ill paypal the 8 or 16 usd :)

Teoman
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #1027
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Capacitors can explode with wrong polarity...I'm happy I found a slim digital kit that gives me no trouble at all.
Maybe we should send in EOD when we find an old tube type TV
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #1028
Friction275
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Kits that are currently available?

I've looked back through the last few pages of the thread (the last calendar year, NOT ALL 1k posts) and it seems like some of the companies that people recommended, like 1off, are no longer in business. I also noticed that there are a bunch of companies that are now advertising their setups as being CANBUS friendly for cars and bikes.

Couple of questions:

1) Are all CANBUS systems the same, I.e. what's works for one will work for a BMW bike CANBUS?

2) are the systems that are advertised as CANBUS friendly system for BMW legit (in general)?http://www.hidkitsxenonlights.com/bm...dlights-bulbs/

3) can anyone recommend a system to retrofit an 09GS that is still available?

Thanks
Friction275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #1029
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
I can no longer recommend HID on the GS. Every time I ride at night a get numbers of headlight flashes and angry reactions...one guy even honked and yelled at me. Unfortunately the GS lens simply does not focus the light very well....I even pushed the height tab to the bottom to lower the beam and it still allows too much stray light out to the left which blinds oncoming drivers. I may keep my high beam HID in, but am afraid I have no choice but to go back to the halogen low beam. It's a shame as the HID low beam really helps with daytime visibility.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #1030
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,733
I ride with my hid set up all the time. I just adjusted it so the cut line hits slightly lower than stock. . ..
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #1031
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I ride with my hid set up all the time. I just adjusted it so the cut line hits slightly lower than stock. . ..
I went in that direction too; to the point where it isn't offensive. Which in a way kind of sucks because it lowers the high beam also. Mine is pointed down low enough that even with the high beams on I don't feel safe doing anything over 65, that's low in my book.

I don't think that just because an item says 'canbus' that it is ok for all canbus systems across the board. There are quite a few companies that use the canbus system and I'd really hesitate to say they all use the same values in their systems for trigger points. I'd state what it would be used for when ordering and get a money back guarantee if it didn't work.

It would be nice to know the trigger value for the low beam side of things. I suppose if someone was -really- gung ho on this they could experiment and find those values. Then it would be -easier- to find a compatible set.

The Morimoto's I currently have draw 8 amps at startup - that's too much for the GS's ECU/ZFE. The newer / later ones are drawing considerably less than that at start up (I'm talking about 'all' canbus ballasts in general) and should have a better or acceptable match. Then I think you have to maintain at least a 1.5 to 2 amp draw to satisfy the ECU/ZFE. That's my best assumption right now.

Maybe we can draw ol' TuefelHunden and others into this...

-By the way- I had to go to a 10 ohm resistor to keep the ECU/ZFE satisfied when using a relay. The 16 ohm resistor just wasn't enough after a while.

WindSailor screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 10:22 PM
Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #1032
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I did the same thing. I really didn't lower it much at all and have yet to get an oncoming driver to flash lights. I've had the HID installed since March of '11.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #1033
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I can no longer recommend HID on the GS. Every time I ride at night a get numbers of headlight flashes and angry reactions...one guy even honked and yelled at me. Unfortunately the GS lens simply does not focus the light very well....I even pushed the height tab to the bottom to lower the beam and it still allows too much stray light out to the left which blinds oncoming drivers. I may keep my high beam HID in, but am afraid I have no choice but to go back to the halogen low beam. It's a shame as the HID low beam really helps with daytime visibility.
Last week I found all the hotels filled from Ripley to Buchanan, WV along US33. That section of road is twisty and goes over several major hills (they call them mountains there). No moon, no street lights, but good center and edge lines. The HID's worked GREAT!!!! 55W, 5000K's from DDM tuning. I can say the control layout on a GS pretty much sucks because I was constantly having to feel around to turn the high beam on and off. I left the high beam on a couple of times and oncoming traffic let me know. I didn't get flashed a single time in three days with the low beam on.

Another situation did occur. It was 32 degrees on Thursday morning and in the 40's Tues/Wed. I not only got the LAMPF! error, my low beam would not come on until the temp hit the upper 50's or 60's. The high beam had no problems. Even the error adapters didn't work on the low beam. My suspicion is that the bulb or ballast are defective. Anyone have a good, reliable source now that 1Off is no longer available.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #1034
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuefelHunden View Post

Another situation did occur. It was 32 degrees on Thursday morning and in the 40's Tues/Wed. I not only got the LAMPF! error, my low beam would not come on until the temp hit the upper 50's or 60's. The high beam had no problems. Even the error adapters didn't work on the low beam. My suspicion is that the bulb or ballast are defective. Anyone have a good, reliable source now that 1Off is no longer available.

I had the LAMPF! situation you described several times, always in cooler weather, with DDM and VVME kits. I had it with the 55w 1-Off kit, too, but not as often. Then, I switched to 35w ballasts and the HIDs have been flawless. When my 1-Off kit bites the dust (it has been working fine since March, 2011), I'll probably go with one of the aforementioned manufacturers but with 35w ballasts.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #1035
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,774
I have had my 35w DDM tuning HID's for over a year. Love them! Not one flash or complaint from other drivers. Maybe it is a California driver issue. I have noticed when following others on a twisty road at night they are more likely to let me pass. That is a plus. Never a complaint from on-coming drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote