ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #1111
def
I've little to say
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 8,658
Remember too, order the 5000K lamp, no higher otherwise you be into the blue, UV light range and give up light throw down the road.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #1112
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,829
His (Hi Markus ) are not blue.



Still not sure they are any brighter than his helmet, though...
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #1113
mbaur
n00b
 
mbaur's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
His (Hi Markus ) are not blue.
Hi Marchy - Sorry, can't help misreading your name on here. Just too tempting...

Yes, they are 4300 Kelvin. I didn't want the blue tint of some HIDs I see on the road. After the HID conversion the parking light looked completely wrong with its yellow tint. So I had to replace that as well:




Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Still not sure they are any brighter than his helmet, though...
Not by day. Plus you can never be too conspicuous on two wheels.

- Markus
mbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #1114
jogo
Adventurer
 
jogo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Norway, West Coast
Oddometer: 78
Electromagnetic disturbance from ballast

Hi,
I recently converted the dip-beam on my 2005 GS to 55W HID. It seemed convenient to place the ballast underneath the bracket that holds the lower end of the center of the front screen.
I see that others have placed theirs there as well, sometimes even 2 ballasts.

This obviously places the ballast very close to the instrument cluster.

After the installation, on every engine start (after I noticed and paid attention) the rev-counter during the first few seconds when the engine was running on idle, showed a strange behavior:
It still pointed a "0" rpm with the needle vibrating violently. After the said few second the needle would jump up to where it should be and the rev-counter would work just nicely until next engine stop. Any similar experience?

I'll now put the ballast elsewhere to avoid damage to the instruments. I saw that people placed theirs close to the FPC. Any concerns or experience about disturbing it or even blowing it up?
jogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #1115
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogo View Post
Hi,
I recently converted the dip-beam on my 2005 GS to 55W HID. It seemed convenient to place the ballast underneath the bracket that holds the lower end of the center of the front screen.
I see that others have placed theirs there as well, sometimes even 2 ballasts.

This obviously places the ballast very close to the instrument cluster.

After the installation, on every engine start (after I noticed and paid attention) the rev-counter during the first few seconds when the engine was running on idle, showed a strange behavior:
It still pointed a "0" rpm with the needle vibrating violently. After the said few second the needle would jump up to where it should be and the rev-counter would work just nicely until next engine stop. Any similar experience?

I'll now put the ballast elsewhere to avoid damage to the instruments. I saw that people placed theirs close to the FPC. Any concerns or experience about disturbing it or even blowing it up?
Not at all.

If you look at my site here: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200GS_HID_Install.html

You will see a bunch of locations that have all been successful.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #1116
jogo
Adventurer
 
jogo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Norway, West Coast
Oddometer: 78
Thanks Jim, great help as always

Other "how-to's" on your site (beside the DVD of course) have been of great help to learn to do my own maintenance. But it's been a while since I last visited your site. Therefore I missed that one.
jogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #1117
Donsesso
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay area
Oddometer: 49
Thanks Jim. I just ordered the ones you bought from eBay.

I was going to buy them from kryptonbulbs.com because I bought a set from them for my diavel. The ebay ones are almost half the price.

I'll be installing these on a GSW. I'll take pics
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #1118
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post
Thanks Jim. I just ordered the ones you bought from eBay.

I was going to buy them from kryptonbulbs.com because I bought a set from them for my diavel. The ebay ones are almost half the price.

I'll be installing these on a GSW. I'll take pics
Mine are used nearly daily with no issues so far. My old GS went 35K miles with the cheap HIDs in place. I am convinced that the 35 watt ones definitely help reduce issues.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #1119
Donsesso
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay area
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Mine are used nearly daily with no issues so far. My old GS went 35K miles with the cheap HIDs in place. I am convinced that the 35 watt ones definitely help reduce issues.

Jim

It looks like its two separate components (2 bulbs) in the kit. Therefore, I could install just the low beam, if I chose to. Is this correct?

+1 for the 35w version. I've installed the single bulb, 6000K kit from kryptonbulbs.com on a couple of different bikes. Big difference IMHO. This will be the first time with a dual bulb kit.
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #1120
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post
It looks like its two separate components (2 bulbs) in the kit. Therefore, I could install just the low beam, if I chose to. Is this correct?

+1 for the 35w version. I've installed the single bulb, 6000K kit from kryptonbulbs.com on a couple of different bikes. Big difference IMHO. This will be the first time with a dual bulb kit.
You can do just the low beam, many do, or both as I did.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #1121
Donsesso
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay area
Oddometer: 49
Finally got a chance to do the "conversion" on my GS LC.

I ordered the ones JVB recommended (thanks) from eBay. For 25 bucks, you can't go wrong. I received two sets (enough for lo and hi beam). But, I decided to only install the lo beam. So, I have a spare just in case the first install fails for any reason.

I went with 35W 4300K

Pretty straight forward install. The hardest part is deciding where to install the ballasts. I went under the beak. I only used zip ties to hold it in place.

The next hardest part was cutting the hole in the headlight cover. I used a dremel. But, I over cut it just a bit. So, the "gasket" was a little loose. So, I used some weatherstripping sealant to keep water out.

It's a huge difference from the stock headlights.



















Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #1122
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post
Finally got a chance to do the "conversion" on my GS LC.

I ordered the ones JVB recommended (thanks) from eBay. For 25 bucks, you can't go wrong. I received two sets (enough for lo and hi beam). But, I decided to only install the lo beam. So, I have a spare just in case the first install fails for any reason.

I went with 35W 4300K

Pretty straight forward install. The hardest part is deciding where to install the ballasts. I went under the beak. I only used zip ties to hold it in place.

The next hardest part was cutting the hole in the headlight cover. I used a dremel. But, I over cut it just a bit. So, the "gasket" was a little loose. So, I used some weatherstripping sealant to keep water out.

It's a huge difference from the stock headlights.



















Outstanding!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #1123
Falco888
Adventurer
 
Falco888's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post
Finally got a chance to do the "conversion" on my GS LC.

I ordered the ones JVB recommended (thanks) from eBay. For 25 bucks, you can't go wrong. I received two sets (enough for lo and hi beam). But, I decided to only install the lo beam. So, I have a spare just in case the first install fails for any reason.

I went with 35W 4300K

Pretty straight forward install. The hardest part is deciding where to install the ballasts. I went under the beak. I only used zip ties to hold it in place.

The next hardest part was cutting the hole in the headlight cover. I used a dremel. But, I over cut it just a bit. So, the "gasket" was a little loose. So, I used some weatherstripping sealant to keep water out.

It's a huge difference from the stock headlights.
[/URL]
Besides the light cover, did you have to remove any component from the bike (panels, cluster, etc)?
Falco888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #1124
Donsesso
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay area
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco888 View Post
Besides the light cover, did you have to remove any component from the bike (panels, cluster, etc)?
No. You don't have to.

But, I probably could've found a better place to mount the ballasts if I removed some panels.
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #1125
Falco888
Adventurer
 
Falco888's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post
No. You don't have to.

But, I probably could've found a better place to mount the ballasts if I removed some panels.
Thanks!
Falco888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014