Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #1111
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,658
Remember too, order the 5000K lamp, no higher otherwise you be into the blue, UV light range and give up light throw down the road.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #1112
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,829
His (Hi Markus ) are not blue.

Still not sure they are any brighter than his helmet, though...
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #1113
mbaur
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
His (Hi Markus ) are not blue.
Hi Marchy - Sorry, can't help misreading your name on here. Just too tempting...

Yes, they are 4300 Kelvin. I didn't want the blue tint of some HIDs I see on the road. After the HID conversion the parking light looked completely wrong with its yellow tint. So I had to replace that as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Still not sure they are any brighter than his helmet, though...
Not by day. Plus you can never be too conspicuous on two wheels.

- Markus
mbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #1114
jogo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Electromagnetic disturbance from ballast

Hi,
I recently converted the dip-beam on my 2005 GS to 55W HID. It seemed convenient to place the ballast underneath the bracket that holds the lower end of the center of the front screen.
I see that others have placed theirs there as well, sometimes even 2 ballasts.

This obviously places the ballast very close to the instrument cluster.

After the installation, on every engine start (after I noticed and paid attention) the rev-counter during the first few seconds when the engine was running on idle, showed a strange behavior:
It still pointed a "0" rpm with the needle vibrating violently. After the said few second the needle would jump up to where it should be and the rev-counter would work just nicely until next engine stop. Any similar experience?

I'll now put the ballast elsewhere to avoid damage to the instruments. I saw that people placed theirs close to the FPC. Any concerns or experience about disturbing it or even blowing it up?
jogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #1115
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogo View Post
Hi,
I recently converted the dip-beam on my 2005 GS to 55W HID. It seemed convenient to place the ballast underneath the bracket that holds the lower end of the center of the front screen.
I see that others have placed theirs there as well, sometimes even 2 ballasts.

This obviously places the ballast very close to the instrument cluster.

After the installation, on every engine start (after I noticed and paid attention) the rev-counter during the first few seconds when the engine was running on idle, showed a strange behavior:
It still pointed a "0" rpm with the needle vibrating violently. After the said few second the needle would jump up to where it should be and the rev-counter would work just nicely until next engine stop. Any similar experience?

I'll now put the ballast elsewhere to avoid damage to the instruments. I saw that people placed theirs close to the FPC. Any concerns or experience about disturbing it or even blowing it up?
Not at all.

If you look at my site here: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200GS_HID_Install.html

You will see a bunch of locations that have all been successful.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #1116
jogo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Thanks Jim, great help as always

Other "how-to's" on your site (beside the DVD of course) have been of great help to learn to do my own maintenance. But it's been a while since I last visited your site. Therefore I missed that one.
jogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #1117
Donsesso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Thanks Jim. I just ordered the ones you bought from eBay.

I was going to buy them from kryptonbulbs.com because I bought a set from them for my diavel. The ebay ones are almost half the price.

I'll be installing these on a GSW. I'll take pics
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #1118
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post
Thanks Jim. I just ordered the ones you bought from eBay.

I was going to buy them from kryptonbulbs.com because I bought a set from them for my diavel. The ebay ones are almost half the price.

I'll be installing these on a GSW. I'll take pics
Mine are used nearly daily with no issues so far. My old GS went 35K miles with the cheap HIDs in place. I am convinced that the 35 watt ones definitely help reduce issues.

Jim
Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #1119
Donsesso
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Mine are used nearly daily with no issues so far. My old GS went 35K miles with the cheap HIDs in place. I am convinced that the 35 watt ones definitely help reduce issues.

Jim

It looks like its two separate components (2 bulbs) in the kit. Therefore, I could install just the low beam, if I chose to. Is this correct?

+1 for the 35w version. I've installed the single bulb, 6000K kit from kryptonbulbs.com on a couple of different bikes. Big difference IMHO. This will be the first time with a dual bulb kit.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #1120
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
It looks like its two separate components (2 bulbs) in the kit. Therefore, I could install just the low beam, if I chose to. Is this correct?

+1 for the 35w version. I've installed the single bulb, 6000K kit from kryptonbulbs.com on a couple of different bikes. Big difference IMHO. This will be the first time with a dual bulb kit.
You can do just the low beam, many do, or both as I did.

Jim
Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #1121
Donsesso
Adventurer

Finally got a chance to do the "conversion" on my GS LC.

I ordered the ones JVB recommended (thanks) from eBay. For 25 bucks, you can't go wrong. I received two sets (enough for lo and hi beam). But, I decided to only install the lo beam. So, I have a spare just in case the first install fails for any reason.

I went with 35W 4300K

Pretty straight forward install. The hardest part is deciding where to install the ballasts. I went under the beak. I only used zip ties to hold it in place.

The next hardest part was cutting the hole in the headlight cover. I used a dremel. But, I over cut it just a bit. So, the "gasket" was a little loose. So, I used some weatherstripping sealant to keep water out.

It's a huge difference from the stock headlights.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #1122
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:

I ordered the ones JVB recommended (thanks) from eBay. For 25 bucks, you can't go wrong. I received two sets (enough for lo and hi beam). But, I decided to only install the lo beam. So, I have a spare just in case the first install fails for any reason.

I went with 35W 4300K

Pretty straight forward install. The hardest part is deciding where to install the ballasts. I went under the beak. I only used zip ties to hold it in place.

The next hardest part was cutting the hole in the headlight cover. I used a dremel. But, I over cut it just a bit. So, the "gasket" was a little loose. So, I used some weatherstripping sealant to keep water out.

Outstanding!

Jim
Old 11-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #1123
Falco888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:

I went with 35W 4300K

[/URL]
Besides the light cover, did you have to remove any component from the bike (panels, cluster, etc)?
Falco888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #1124
Donsesso
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco888 View Post
Besides the light cover, did you have to remove any component from the bike (panels, cluster, etc)?
No. You don't have to.

But, I probably could've found a better place to mount the ballasts if I removed some panels.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #1125
Falco888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
No. You don't have to.

But, I probably could've found a better place to mount the ballasts if I removed some panels.
Thanks!
Falco888 is offline   Reply With Quote