Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #1141
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Mike,

Where did you locate your ballast? In the wrong spot they can effect your other systems. Also, 55 watt or 35 watt?
Jim,

Any issues you know of with mounting the ballast above the dashboard?

Thanks!

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #1142
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
I had removed the windshield, and had zip tied the ballast to the "windshield holder bars" (The part that is flat on top).

It did work without problems but on a couple of cases the dash went blank. Came back to life a with a restart.

2005 GS
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #1143
OzRider64
Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer: 90

Best spot I have found on my 2010 GS for the ballast is on the RHS of the tank.

I am using a DDM 35W setup in low beam only.

28 months and 34000 Klicks so far. Still on the original globe, had to replace the ballast about 18 months ago when it came loose from its velcro base. Ballasts just don't like vibes, especially when rubbing against the frame.

2010 R1200GS

OzRider64 screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 01:59 PM
OzRider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #1144
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
You can find extension cables for the bulb on ebay.

I have my ballast under the seat (it did not fit upfront as it was a 100w module, i could not be bothered searching for long).
teomannaskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #1145
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF-OVER View Post
I got back into the bike last night. It was the 35 watt set that I installed. I found that the lo beam side HID is dead. I ran it directly to the battery and ..no light. So I popped the old 55 watt high beam bulb into the low beam side. ( I hope it can handle the extra amperage in that circuit). Now the low beam works fine so I'm guessing that I got a bad HID set from china?
the fuel level appears to have just gone gunny bags at the same time. I think I will try the Peizo trick before I order a new fuel strip.
thoughts?
BTW. I mounted the ballast against the right bar that holds the upper fairing . I can get a picture if you need to see exactly where.?
No, sounds like you found the problem.

The factory lights are both 55watt, but sometimes the 55watt HID causes issue for a lampf code.

As for where to mount the ballasts, I was curious, and on the R1200 ballast placement doesn't seem to cause issues.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #1146
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,154
I installed both the high/low beam hid 35w kit from ddm plus replaced the little led light, I have the lampf warning ever since I fired her up.....any ideas ?, btw I have an 07 GSA
Old 02-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #1147
rgb2cmyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulo View Post
I installed both the high/low beam hid 35w kit from ddm plus replaced the little led light, I have the lampf warning ever since I fired her up.....any ideas ?, btw I have an 07 GSA
I have the DDM 35w as well. I do get the Lampf error but only when the temp is below 40-45F. If I run the bike for a bit, then turn the bike off and back on again it usually comes on. I assume it's because the battery is cold and trying to start the bike.

Or maybe it's just the bike telling me to ride during the day in the warmer months...

I see you live in NNJ. Have all your tests been in the reset cold weather?
09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #1148
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
finally getting around to ordering a set, have one remaining question:

- is there any reason to go with the large ballast? (heat dissipation, more rapid ignition of beam, anything?)

edit: I see a reason for different size ballasts. the slim has the igniter outside the box while the regular has the igniter inside the box. hmmmm... issues with this? perhaps best to have it all contained in single box? any reasoning to have it in or out? assuming it makes little difference in initial functionality... perhaps just in mounting or longevity? (by igniter being exposed to elements or?)

overthinking this perhaps... (lol it's way under a bill for crying out loud) I'm just a "one and done" sort of person in this regards. once I do it... I want to be done and over in the most beneficial manner.

thanks all!

KoolBreeze screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 10:09 AM
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #1149
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk View Post
I have the DDM 35w as well. I do get the Lampf error but only when the temp is below 40-45F. If I run the bike for a bit, then turn the bike off and back on again it usually comes on. I assume it's because the battery is cold and trying to start the bike.

Or maybe it's just the bike telling me to ride during the day in the warmer months...

I see you live in NNJ. Have all your tests been in the reset cold weather?

Yes, I've used them only in the cold, I get the lampf all the time regardless of what I do, after some reading here after the post it seems it's the wattage of the ballast is what's tripping the zfe, I guess option is to live w the lampf or get another set of ballasts.

Ima wait and see until it warms up but I doubt it's going to go away.

Btw if your in boken I'm up the road from you in union city and I also had a bcr ;)
Old 02-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #1150
Falco888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulo View Post
Yes. I believe I found the culprit of the problem. I have a 13GS, and I noticed that the error code shows even with the ignition on before you start the bike (at that point the little parking light is on), so I put the stock parking light bulb back on, and problem solved. The HID for low and high beams works just fine without any errors.

Let me know if someone knows of and LED light that works with triggering any errors.

Below is a picture of the LED and stock light that I used

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Falco888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #1151
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,098
electric guru's I need a bit of your expertise.

I fitted a H4 hid to the HP2. It makes a huge difference to the stock lamp. my issue is the LAMP warning sign is now permanently on. Is there a way to trick the CANBUS to not pick up on the HID?
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #1152
TomDac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Just wanted to say THANKS

Just wanted to say THANKS to JVB for posting this thread. Finally got around to doing the HID conversion to my 06 R1200 GSA and it was super easy thanks to this thread. ...and such a huge improvement.
TomDac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #1153
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
Just wanted to say THANKS to JVB for posting this thread. Finally got around to doing the HID conversion to my 06 R1200 GSA and it was super easy thanks to this thread. ...and such a huge improvement.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #1154
Oggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
I fitted a H4 hid to the HP2. It makes a huge difference to the stock lamp. my issue is the LAMP warning sign is now permanently on. Is there a way to trick the CANBUS to not pick up on the HID?
i wouldn't say there is a trick, but to solve it can be multiple issues. Most issues are the ballast is drawing too much current on initial start-up, both cold and 55w HIDs can cause this (not sure 35w cause it as much).

What happens when you let the light warm up then restart the bike, does the lampf go out? If not are you using 35 or 55w bulbs, if you are using 55w you might want to try 35w ones or find a fault code elminator thingy (not sur ethe exact name). I know a few have used these for the low beam and it stops the lampf code. My 35w from 1Off has the fault blocker built into the ballast wiring, but do know places sell them separately.

Don't ask me how they actually work though..lol
Oggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #1155
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
i wouldn't say there is a trick, but to solve it can be multiple issues. Most issues are the ballast is drawing too much current on initial start-up, both cold and 55w HIDs can cause this (not sure 35w cause it as much).

What happens when you let the light warm up then restart the bike, does the lampf go out? If not are you using 35 or 55w bulbs, if you are using 55w you might want to try 35w ones or find a fault code elminator thingy (not sur ethe exact name). I know a few have used these for the low beam and it stops the lampf code. My 35w from 1Off has the fault blocker built into the ballast wiring, but do know places sell them separately.

Don't ask me how they actually work though..lol
Thank you Oggie, I will check it out. What you say make sense.
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote