User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #16
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,667
Day # 7

Sad time this morning saying our goodbyes.. Had a great time with Rack but all to soon we needed to depart in our own directions.. I kept checking my mirrors in hope that he had changed his mind and decided to follow but was always empty..

I was now down to just my own company and for the first time it started to sink in what was ahead of me.. I had to put up with my own jokes for the rest of the trip...

I had a sensational first days riding solo and saw some fantastic places/scenery along the way..

I`m not sure who the lucky kid was that was getting this pressent but I`d sure love to see the size of his sand pit..

For some reason I felt I was behind schedule and thought I needed to pick it up a bit so once again not too many photos of todays ride..

Couldn`t resist this one..

Soon found myself in these big buggers country..

and followed a great road down Mount Morgan and into Rockhampton..

Stayed the night in the Caravan Park after a magnificent Tavern dinner.. Who said camping had to be hard??

This was also the first signs posted to be aware of Crocodiles..

I had a nice little camping spot picked out beside the river until I saw the sign and decided it best to move up the bank a bit further.. No need to feed the lizards I couldn`t help thinking.. The only problem was when I moved to my new location I didn`t realise I had set up tent under a tree that Bats called their home...

Hit the bed at around 7:30 pm trying to catch up on some missing sleep from the last couple of weeks and woke again at 11:45 thinking I had had enough and it was time to get up.. Can`t remember the last time I had been in bed at that hour..

Day 7 travels..

Dalby> Kingaroy> Gayndah> Monto> Mount Morgan> Rockhampton..

674 klms

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 12-04-2007 at 02:48 AM
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #17
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Day # 8

After an indifferent nights sleep with the constant stream of traffic flowing over the many joints in the bridge beside the park and the Bats making their happy noises in the trees above my tent I was happy to be up and out of there early..

Was greated with rain and wind today for the first time but nothing too much that a snorkle and flippers couldn`t fix..

Wasn`t long before the sugar cane started to appear and the lovely sweet smell that comes with it.. I hadn`t seen sugar cane in years so was happy to see it again..

Had a really good fast run and soon found myself in Mackay.. Used to live in Mackay years ago as well when we moved around a bit when I was a little tacker.. Don`t really remember much about it except the fishing was good..

Passed through Bowen and took a photo of another large piece of fruit..

Had to take a couple of photos of the Islands just off the Coast of Queensland.. It wasn`t a very clear day today as there was a slight haze in the air which made visability slightly harder than normal..

The trip up to Inkerman Hill lookout showed some great scenery but I had trouble trying to capture what my eyes where seeing..

and managed to see a cane harvester in action..

Last time I was here they used to burn off the sugar can before they harvestered it.. Not too sure why times have changed..

All that was left was a short run into Townsville to my overnight destination and a well earnt nights sleep..
Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #18
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Another night in my mobile Motel..

What you can`t see properly in this pic is the beer fridge next to the indoor swimming pool..

Just on Sunset I went for a walk to see Magnetic Island from the foreshore.. I`d been out to this Island a couple of times when younger once again and enjoyed the times spent there..

Had a good evening swapping stories with the bloke next to me back at camp and listened to his many stories about what he had done and where he was going.. Also listened to him open many beer cans but the lousy bugger didn`t offer me one.. Must have been a Brisbane Lions Football Club supporter..

Next morning it was back at the foreshore to watch the sunrise.. Well almost.. Takes me a bit to get out of bed and going..

Walked past this very nicely kept Suzuki on my way to the powder room..

And decided it was time to pack up camp and move on to the next destination.. Not before taking a shot of the Saint that was painted on the side of the Mountain in Townsville.. It was here almost 30 years ago and I believe some University students painted it as a joke years ago and it has stayed there.. Could be wrong on that though cause the drunken tight arse from next door told me last night and he was pissed..

Day 8 travels..

Rockhampton> Mackay> Bowen> Townsville..

740 kilometers..
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #19
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 803
Just recently added Australia to my to do list. Maybe 2010.

NIce pics and commentary, keep it comming, this is the first part of my planning effort.

Let us know when are you comming across to do the USA?
I'm sure many will assist with planning and ride along.

Doug

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #20
FirstMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Great report so far. Thank you for taking the time to post up. I will be looking forward to reading the rest.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #21
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,613
..when I get up to get my son up for school tomorrow morning at 0630hrs there`d better be more....

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #22
John C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Nice work Nev. Pictures and story are great. I supose I'll have to start working out how to do the same now. Might start by polishing the XR

Regards John
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #23
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,195
Good on ya Poppy.
Nice work Nev

A2

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #24
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Day # 9

I must say that Queensland had really turned on the great weather for me and today was no different.. Was a saying a few years back that Queensland was beautiful one day and perfect the next.. I got to see exactly that..

Leaving Townsville I headed still further North and really enjoyed the cooler mornings ride.. the afternoons had started to warm up a bit from what I had been used to coming out of a Victorian Winter..

I`m not sure where this photo was taken.. I must have been distracted with the thoughts of freshly cooked Mud Crab and forgotten where I was..

Enjoyed the ride into Cairns but with a sea mist I could barely make out Hinchinbrook Island and I didn`t think a photo would do it any justice at all so I just rode and enjoyed the scenery..

The road from Cairns to Port Douglas is a great ride with low speed twisties that was just made to ride.. My wife and I visited Port Douglas about 6 years earlier but that trip was by plane and then bus and we commented back then that this road would be fun on a bike..

I couldn`t find that Mud Crab on the menu at lunchtime at the marina in Port Douglas but Barramundi and chips was so how could I refuse..

and overlooking these I soon forgot what I was missing out on..

From here I started to turn inland after 4280 kilometers of heading North and still nowhere near the top of Australia.. This really is a bloody big place..

The ride from Mossman to Mareeba was sensation with 30 kph twisties riding through stunning rainforest scenery for kilometer after kilometer.. Worked my way over the mountain ranges..

but knew it must have been a windy area as you don`t put these up for nothing..

Stayed in a Motel in Ravenshoe which is Queenslands highest town or so the welcome sign informed me.. After filling in my tour diary of the days events..

It was time to sit back with a couple of quiet ones and watch some real Aussie football on the TV..

even though it was two 2nd rate clubs in Geelong and Brisbane Lions..

Day 9 travels..

Townsville> Ingham> Innisfail> Cairns> Port Douglas> Mareeba> Atherton..

603 klms..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-29-2007 at 05:03 PM
Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #25
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Your wife let you go on a ride like this?

My wife is trying to get me to get rid of this dial up... given the calibre of the pictures that I saw I think I shall have to give in so that I can see all your pics!

Great report, can't wait for the rest...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #26
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,538

Top stuff Nev! .................

Cheers

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Day #10.. Head West Young Man..

What a sensational ride from Ravenshoe to Georgetown after what was a fairly sluggish start to the day.. Cool morning temperatures had the jumper back on and the heated grips on low..

I thought I`d call in and see a waterfall just off the main road but would have needed to leave the bike unattended at the carpark for the walk in so thought I`d just quickly and quietly ride down to see it.. Traveled only a short distance before I wondered what the heck I was doing given I had no idea of what was ahead and little chance of turning around on such a small track and fairly steep downhill.. Decided it best to turn around and continue on but had all sorts of difficulty turning the bike around and managed to twist my wrist while turning.. Realised then it`s not a good idea to make decissions while still asleep..

The road from Georgetown soon narrowed to nothing more that a glorified goat track..

and given how much road this bloke took up..

I started to wonder what i`d do if and when I met one of these things..

Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #28
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,669
Keep it coming, Nev!

I've sent you a PM about the front wheel wobble. Sounds very familiar.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

What really stood out was just how the colour of the soil was changing and knew that I was definately heading inland now and away from the Coast..

Although the oversize Road trains where something that had to be watched out for they weren`t the only things that wanted to play with you.. Had a few very nervous moments while sitting around the 120 kph and soon realised that if something in the distance didn`t quite look right then stop and check it out.. It`s heaps easier to accelerate again if it was nothing but more often than not it could have turned nasty..

Wouldn`t like to hit one of these little fellows.. I think you`d just make him angry anyway..

Was funnier earlier in the day where an Emu thought he could outrun a KTM 950 and headed off up the road to see if he could.. The bull in the last photos didn`t think he needed to outrun anything and I wasn`t keen enough to get any closer to make him try..

I did have to pass a few of these long road trains that thought they owned the road but lucky for me they were heading in the opposite direction so it was just a matter of jumping off the tar onto the dirt and rejoining the tar at the next safest place.. I felt very safe and after a few passes I didn`t need to slow at all as the shoulder of the road was hard packed with very little lose gravel and hard packed clay.. Would have been fairly tricky if it had of been raining or I had to overtake one as they didn`t slow any when they saw me.. I don`t think they would have even stopped if I did come to grief..
Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #30
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

had a very healthy breaky at Georgetown..

and continued on to some more stunning country that just blew me away wherever I looked in whatever direction..

I was also starting to see some monuments along the road and now felt comfortable enough to slow the mad rushed pace of the previous days and stop and have a look.. Not sure why this was out here as I couldn`t find any signs to read and no plaque to tell it`s tale..

Just out of Croydon I was stopped by another traveler coming in the opposite direct who was on his own lap of Oz on an almost stock KTM 625 SXC.. All I could see was an aftermarket long range tank and that`s about it.. I must admit I felt like a pretender compared with this fellow.. He`s idea of a hydration pack was a 2 litre bottle of water shoved down the front of his open jacket and not much more in the way of luxuries.. No music, no seat covering, no windshield...

I didn`t take a photo which I kicked myself a little later for as he had a smile all over his face and was loving every minute of it.. I gave him a handful of earplugs as it looked like he started with the same disposable set a few weeks earlier but manged to lose one somewhere but found another as they were two different types but the same disturbing colour..

By now the temperature was really getting up there and by far the hottest I had on the whole trip.. I n fact the previous days where quite mild compared to what is normally here this time of the year.. I stopped here to take this picture for all of 30 seconds..

and kept the motor running while I was off it.. In that short time the engine temperature bars went up to 6 which is by far the hottest I have seen it and after I left there sitting on roughly 90 kph it took around 5 minutes to cool back down enough to stop worrying.. Just after that photo I also took a drink from my own back pack and the tube went dry..

Wasn`t sure why as i had put fresh water in it at my breakfast break but I had been drinking it quite hard because of this heat.. That meant the last 60 odd ks where without water and now the temperature was really starting to heat up.. Made my way to Normanton where I drank a large amount of water and sports drinks to try and cool down and rehydrate..

Took Krys`s photo while I was there..

and contiued on my way to my overnight destination at Karumba up in the Gulf of Carpentaria..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-29-2007 at 06:19 PM