Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #31
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,759
Made it to Karumba mid afternoon and pretty exhausted.. I was really feeling the heat today and just put it down to the long cool Winter of home and maybe not acclimitised to these hot days yet..

I wanted a room with an airconditioner tonight so I tried 3 motels which all told the same story.. "Sorry... Fully booked but try down the road".. Hard to believe they were booked out because their carparks where empty and not many vehicles around that I could see.. Put it down to them not liking bikes and me being ugly and just tried the caravan park where I managed to get an onsite van which I really apreciated..

After a cooling shower I removed the liners from my jacket and pants and headed out to dinner.. See what happens when my wife isn`t around to help me dress..

Had a great seafood pasta at the pub on the point overlooking the river and stayed till after sunset..

Had a terrific sleep with the cooler on most of the night and looked forward to what tomorrow had to bring..

Day 10 travels..

Ravenshoe> Georgetown> Croydon> Normanton> Karumba

660 ks..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-29-2007 at 08:43 PM
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #32
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,762
A lot of people have been waiting a while for this Nev. Brilliant mate. Well worth the wait.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #33
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy
A lot of people have been waiting a while for this Nev. Brilliant mate. Well worth the wait.
Hi Clancy..

Sorry to have kept you waiting mate.. I knew it would be a big one and wanted to experience the whole trip again by writting this in a month or so after I returned.. Amazing how I can still see so clearly the terrain and places as I write this..

Confuses me how I can never remember where I put my bloody keys a few minutes earlier though..
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #34
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64
Hi Clancy..

Sorry to have kept you waiting mate.. I knew it would be a big one and wanted to experience the whole trip again by writting this in a month or so after I returned.. Amazing how I can still see so clearly the terrain and places as I write this..

Confuses me how I can never remember where I put my bloody keys a few minutes earlier though..
That's ok, it's just the start of alzheimers...I got it too
Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #35
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Day # 11

Had a great run out of Karumba this morning albeit a few Roos and a very close call with an Eagle taking off from a fresh overnight roadkill which I bet had him counting his tailfeathers after I had gone..

The roads had really improved up here since a fishing trip to Karumba a few years ealier with Racketeer and Father In-law and one of his mates.. It was very open in most places..

Still had to play "spot the Roo" amongst the termite mounds and stopped to take a picture after cleaning the shite from my pants with one very close call..

I had decided fairly early this morning to try and push on a bit today as I knew Michelle and the kids where boarding the plane to Darwin the next day and I was missing them a bit and was keen to spend some time with them..

I was able to take a picture of a road train that was stopped at Burke and Wills Roadhouse as up till now all had been owning the road and I didn`t think many would be keen to stop for a photo..

There really is some pretty paces of interest out in this part in amongst the wide open spaces which sometimes in itself is the most appealing.. Before I left I didn`t know if the trip would hold my attention with the many miles of tar and nothingness but I loved it more than I expected.. Maybe if I had done the same trip a few years earlier I wouldn`t have seen the beauty that was out here and maybe just sat and stared at this nothing and not be impressed.. I guess it`s admittance to just getting older and seeing how beautiful our part of the World really is..

Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #36
Stormcoming
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
very nice...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 PM   #37
HamoAus
Springfield Lakes

Oddometer: 599
Nev, you could have stayed at my place in Townsville, but you would have missed out on the rude bloke offering no beers. You would have got some at my place. Great ride report mate, some brilliant photos.

Cheers
HamoAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #38
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 554
Thumb Thanks for the ride.

Bring on the heat! Cheers...Steverinoh!

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #39
KiwiSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
[QUOTE=nevgriff64]

I`m not sure where this photo was taken.. I must have been distracted with the thoughts of freshly cooked Mud Crab and forgotten where I was..

Hey Nev, thinks that's on the northside of Cardwell but it's been a while since I've been there so maybe I'm wrong

Great report, keep it coming ................
KiwiSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #40
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Had a small break under a tree beside a Burke and Wills monument just outside Cloncurry.. I can only imagine what it was like to cross this part of the Country not only in January with the excessive heat but way back in 1861 when there wouldn`t have been too many roads out here, not many up to date maps of the area and the current GPS system of the day would be having to follow the camels butt in front of you..

I learnt another good lesson coming into Mt Isa and that is if you need to have a leak do so before you hit town.. I needed to fill up with fuel and as luck would have it I must have filled at the only servo without a toilet.. What that meant was I was jigging around like a fool so I didn`t disgrace myself and let it all go at the fuel pump but it also meant I was in a bit of a rush to get out of town and find a tree to cuddle for a minute.. Once I had made it out of town I decided to push on towards Camooweal and therfore missed having a look around Mt Isa..

Wish I had as there where a few photo opportunities in Mt Isa and the town from what I saw was intersting.. Next time..

I`d now found myself at the boarder of Northern Territory and Queensland and was excited as I hadn`t been to the NT before and didn`t know what I was in for.. Queensland was brilliant but it was exciting times ahead..

Was also confronted by this sign that I had never seen before and pretty keen to see what that was like also..

Although the road trains where getting bigger to keep me awake..

I set up camp 70 odd ks West of Camooweal content with the days distance traveled and what I had seen throughout the day..

The sun was setting in the direction I was heading and gave a warm feeling and a small glimpse of what tomorrow would bring..

I had told myself that there was absolutely no need to be traveling at these speeds as I was covering distances comfortably at 110 / 115 kph.. At the higher speeds it would only chew through the juice quicker and wear tyres out much faster not even taking into consideration what might happen hitting large animals at the higher speeds.. The agreement I had between me and...... me was to sit on 110 and just keep an eye on the mirrors for traffic catching me from behind and sit back and enjoy the ride.. I went to sleep comfortable with the plan..

Day 11 travels..

Karumba> Normanton> Burke and Wills Roadhouse> Cloncurry> Mount Isa> Camooweal..

857 ks..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-29-2007 at 09:59 PM
Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #41
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
Nice one Nev

Well worth the wait

Now get back into it

That was quick, good to see you are listening to your public
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #42
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

[quote=KiwiSteve]
Quote:

I`m not sure where this photo was taken.. I must have been distracted with the thoughts of freshly cooked Mud Crab and forgotten where I was..

Hey Nev, thinks that's on the northside of Cardwell but it's been a while since I've been there so maybe I'm wrong

Great report, keep it coming ................
Thanks for that KiwiSteve..

I thought it was somewhere around that area but I can`t remember for sure.. I remember taking the photo cause I rode up a largish gutter and onto the lawn and wondered what I would say if someone came out and gave me a blast.. I was also looking around incase I drove onto those large bindies and filled both my tyres.. Luckily neither happened and I continued on..

Might tell the wife I need to go back and find it cause the ride report is incomplete..
Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #43
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8Lewy
Nice one Nev

Well worth the wait

Now get back into it

That was quick, good to see you are listening to your public
Hi Lewy..

Been a few chasing me for the report mate and glad it`s finally underway.. Still got quite a bit to go though..
Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #44
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

[quote=nevgriff64]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSteve

Thanks for that KiwiSteve..

I thought it was somewhere around that area but I can`t remember for sure.. I remember taking the photo cause I rode up a largish gutter and onto the lawn and wondered what I would say if someone came out and gave me a blast.. I was also looking around incase I drove onto those large bindies and filled both my tyres.. Luckily neither happened and I continued on..

Might tell the wife I need to go back and find it cause the ride report is incomplete..
If you're going to do it again, you can just tell her you want to show me around cos I'm going with you
Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #45
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

[quote=Clancy]
Quote:

If you're going to do it again, you can just tell her you want to show me around cos I'm going with you
Best I just tell her where we`ve been then Clancy..

That`s if she hasn`t changed the locks and I can still get back into the house..