Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #46
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,760
Up just before dawn this morning ( often wondered what they looked like..) packed up quietly, pushed my bike away from the sleeping few at the rest side stop and hit the road around 7 am..

At 7:10 am I was skimming the planet at speeds of 140 + and singing as loud as I could in my helmet to some songs I had heard a dozen times the day before.. I was loving the World and it was loving me back..

Crawled into Barkley Homestead doing 85 kph with my head on the tankbag and tucked in behind the screen for the last 65 ks trying to conserve fuel..

Using up way more fuel at this speeds and also decided to fill the bloody fuel container cause that`s why I brought it...

Met up with a guy at Barkley Homestead who lives just down the road at Frankston in Melbourne who was on his way to a Ulysses meeting in Winton and he was going the long way to get there..

Woody was a bit of a character who rides his beloved BMW all over the place and isn`t shy of a bit of a challange either.. Woody has a Prosthetic leg so he has had his BM modified to suit with controls shifted all over the place.. He was telling me a story about how he just finished crossing one of the inland tracks that was mainly sand and got overconfident when he thought he had made it all the way when the tar was in full sight.. As always when confidence gets in the way of ability the bike sits you on your bum and reminds you who is boss..

He tried to pick it up but with only the one working leg he couldn`t get enough purchase in the soft sand to right it.. He had to wait for 20 minutes until someone came along and gave him a hand.. Pretty guttsy effort to be out here in those conditions by himself..

The landscape had really opened up now and sometimes struggled to see anything for miles around..

Between Three Ways and Barkley Homestead I stopped to take a picture of a Thorny Lizard standing in the middle of the road.. After taking a few pictures one of which I was lying on my stomach and not feeling very comfortable about it given the road trains, 130 speed limits and me still wearing earplugs, I tried to help the little guy off the road..

Now I don`t think I have ever met a more stubbon animal in my life.. I tried to coax him along with a gentle push of my boot... nothing... I tried waving my hands and jumping up and down and still nothing.. I walked over to some sticks off the edge of the road and then had to pick him up and drag him off the road.. It would have been just my luck for him to take a finger off if I tried to pick him up with my hands.. Maybe he thought he was a chicken and waiting for the next road train..

Anyway I felt good for an hour or two thinking how I had just saved his life when it dawned on me he was probably being stubbon because it had taken him all morning to walk from that side of the road..
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #47
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Breakfast at Three Ways Roadhouse and a real coffee was enjoyed with my spaghetti on toast..

I just had to turn around and get a photo of this sign not as a promotional excercise but to have a good laugh as I had just spent the last 3 1/2 days without any phone coverage what so ever..

There wasn`t many more photos of the travels of today as there can only be so many times you can take a picture of nothing...

I love these photos though as I was just thrilled to be out there and this is what really appealed to me.. I was sort of in the moment..

I`m not sure if ones any better than the other so I will just show them both..

Knowing that Michelle and the kids had arrived in Darwin today made me keener to get as close as I could by nightfall.. This morning I hadn`t any plans as to where my overnight stay should be but just rode through the day and rested when needed.. One thing that did surprise me though was that apart from one vehicle that passed me twice ( Fuel stop maybe?? ) there wasn`t anyone traveling anywhere near the posted speed limit.. Coming or going.. I guess of the large distances between fuel, very hot roads that wear down tyres quicker the faster you go or just big animals that hurt when hit..

I made it into Katherine just shortly before sunset and after a dinner of Subway and orange juice and a chat to one of the waitresses I was talked into not trying for Darwin that night.. With many large animals that rome the night I thought it was best too to stay overnight in Katherine and head for Darwin first thing.. Must also admit I really fell in a heap once I had decided to call it a day and not ride any further..

My cabin at the local Carravan Park was just what I needed after a very long day in the saddle..

Day 12 travels..

Avon Downs> Barkley Homestead> Three Ways> Eliott> Daly Waters> Mataranka> Katherine..

1061 klms..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-29-2007 at 11:17 PM
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #48
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Very sluggish getting out of bed today.. Yesterdays ride took more out of me than I realised and the body was telling me it needed a rest.. ( No different from any other day really )..

Today was only a short trip by the last few days standards but it was by far the longest time wise.. I made the mistake of counting the kilometers down as I was now really keen to catch up with the family..

Just out of Katherine the Termite mounds where getting quite large..

One thing I found interesting today was for the first time I overtook a road train.. Seen plenty coming in the other direction but none traveling the same way.. Just lucky I guess and I could really see how they would be very tricky trying to overtake by bike or car for that matter with the last trailer moving around quite a fair bit.. On a narrow road would just be a nightmare..

The animals that didn`t make it through the night had also become much larger and probably a good thing I didn`t attempt the extra kilometers into Darwin the night before.. Saw a few cattle carcases, wild pig, Kangaroo and even a Donkeys.. The smell of the decaying flesh baking in the mid morning sun almost smelt as bad as Carlton supporters..

Made it to the apartment in Darwin around lunchtime and was greeted by two very excited kids and a loving wife.. Really made the last 7000 odd kilometers that much more enjoyable..

With the bike now safely tucked away behind the flat it was time for some well earnt rest and some quality time with the family..

Day # 13 travels..

Katherine> Pine Creek> Adelaide River> Darwin..

324 klms..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-30-2007 at 01:25 AM
Old 11-30-2007, 01:22 AM   #49
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

I will now get into a little bit of boring family holiday details so once I have finished I will put a link here that can be by-passed easily to the next part of my travels..

For anyone that is interested in the sights of Darwin and surrounds then read on..

cheers..

Linky to next leg of adventure..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=73

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-30-2007 at 06:39 PM
Old 11-30-2007, 01:44 AM   #50
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Day # 14.. Rest Day Darwin..

Spent a very relaxing time beside the pool with the family this morning.. Kids where happy to have their grumpy old man around again and the wife had someone to take out the garbage.. Life was back to normal..

Mid morning was a trip to the Crocodile farm and we saw some amazingly big lizards not unlike that Horny Lizard I saved a few days earlier.. I thought it would take off a finger if I got too close..

The kids got a chance to hold a baby Croc and enjoyed the experience..

First Brandon..

Then Shannan..

And then my turn..

Although I confess about now I was wondering what the little bugger would taste like with salad and chips..

Amazing just how big these can grow to and can fully understand how they can drag a Roo or Pig off a river bank with minimum effort..

Was also interesting at how well they blended into their enviroment..

While looking around the rest of the Zoo Brandon found the red butt of a Baboon very amusing and laughed for quite some time.. I found his response amusing but had seen it many times myself although the ones I have seen are normally dressed in Blue and Red and barrack for the Melbourne Footy Team..
Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #51
auRoscoe
Cerebral Failure!

Oddometer: 460
Love it... can't wait for more!
auRoscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 AM   #52
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Great work Nev , keep it coming.

Some awesome pics too ....... well worth the wait.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:36 AM   #53
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,840
Good work Nev and about time.

Nice to meet you at the TTT.

Great pic of my (now pogos) old outfit.

Shes a perdy thing.

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #54
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Had a bit of a mess up with my bike being booked in for a service that all worked out well in the end.. I got the address details from the KTM website before leaving Melbourne and when I went to take it in to the shop I was told the shop had moved a couple of years ealier and that building was now a Police building..

Nothing like up to date information from good old KTM Australia to help interstate travelers..

I decided to replace the rear tyre also as part of the service as I wasn`t confident it would have made the extra distance to Broome and I didn`t need any hassles along the road somewhere..

The KTM dealership didn`t stock any Scorpion tyres but could order one if I wanted but would take a week to arrive.. and even then they wouldn`t guarantee it`s arrival.. Given I had only plans to stay for 4 or 5 days that would put me well behind schedule so I decided to get in contact with Detlan at BTX back in Melbourne to see what he could do with the one he put behind the counter in case I needed it..

By road would still take a week but at an extra cost we could get one air freighted overnight if I was prepared to pay the extra in freight.. The tyre was around the $250 and the airfreight was $210 so this new rear cost around $460 and wasn`t fitted...

Had no choice really but to go ahead with the overnighter and hoped it lasted all the way home..

Of course when the tyre arrived in Darwin it was delivered to the Police building which was the address I gave BTX so we couldn`t find it the next day.. Got a call from Detlan to say it was at the TNT depot in Darwin after many phone calls trying to chase it up and could be picked up on Monday because Friday was a public holiday in Darwin and no-one was working...

Long story short there was wires being crossed everywhere and once we sorted it all out I picked the tyre up and had it fitted the same day.. Would just like to say a very big thankyou to Detlan and to BTX Motorcycles for going way beyond what anyone should consider good service from a bike shop..
Old 11-30-2007, 02:43 AM   #55
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by auRoscoe
Love it... can't wait for more!

Thanks for the complements guys..

Sorry the report took so long to get underway but it has been fun putting it all together.. The best I believe is still to come..
Old 11-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #56
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoto16
Great work Nev , keep it coming.

Some awesome pics too ....... well worth the wait.
Hi Scotty

Thanks mate.. Still heaps more to come..
Old 11-30-2007, 02:54 AM   #57
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
Good work Nev and about time.

Nice to meet you at the TTT.

Great pic of my (now pogos) old outfit.

Shes a perdy thing.

Hi Davo..

Was good to catch up with you again at the TTT Rally mate..

That is a nice outfit and was impressed at what he went through to get it into the Rally.. Makes some of us on more suitable bikes feel a bit embarrassed at the difficulty we had..

Can also now fully appreciate the time and effort that everyone puts into their ride reports now as I didn`t realise it took almost as long to type the report as the ride itself..
Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 AM   #58
JRW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Impressive so far - cant wait to see the rest!
JRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:22 AM   #59
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW
Impressive so far - cant wait to see the rest!
Welcome to the forum JRW..

Glad your enjoying it mate and about to start a bit more..
Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 AM   #60
Uzay
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 6,765
go on Nev, can't wait for more

Ride till the end, until the end

KTM 950 Adv
Uzay is offline   Reply With Quote