User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 03:21 AM   #61
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,459
Day # 15 Rest Day In Darwin..

A morning swim after breakfast with the kids had us on our way to Litchfield National Park where we saw some massive Termite mounds that would make any weather board house nervous..

and then on to a beautiful rockpool with flowing water falls and crystal clear water.. This was a real highlight to all of us as we hadn`t seen anything like this before let alone swim in it..

Amazing at just how clear the water was and with the kids goggles on you could see quite a distance to other swimmers and watch the fish around the rocks..

No amount of coaxing was going to get Brandon into the water though.. he said it was because the water was too cold but we get the feeling it was because our tour guide that showed us through the Crocodile farm the day before told us that all the large males where found in fresh water ponds after the wet season.. Brandon had mentioned it a couple of times before the rock pool so it was still playing on his mind..

He was more than happy trying to catch a fish sitting on the edge so we all still enjoyed ourselves..

Must admit I too wasn`t all that comfortable when I couldn`t see the bottom in the deeper ends..

The walk in to the pool was just as nice as the pool itself..

Amazing what could be found if you looked in the right places hard enough.. Here`s a Rock Wallaby with her young Joey sitting under the shade of a rock ledge in the heat of the day..

nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #62
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Was a great part of our holiday to explore the rockpool and all agreed that we will do it again if we get back to that part of the World.. Sensational..

Back at the Motel it was into the pool again for more swimming and general kids fun..

Here you can plainly see the three kids..

Then it was off again and to the Mindal Market where the kids had hours of entertainment and we saw a magnificent sunset.. What a perfect way to finish a terrific day...

Old 11-30-2007, 03:59 AM   #63
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Day # 16 Rest Day In Darwin..

Yet another early morning swim with the kids before breaky and then off to NT Motorcycles to pick up my bike..

The team did a great job and even washed it for me and the price charged for the service was very reasonable I thought and it felt great riding it back to the motel..

Now as much as I love my wife and kids there was a part of me that was pretty keen to get back out on the road and explore this big country of ours.. Just had to be patient as the time for departure will come around soon enough..

We decided to slow the pace a bit and let the kids catch their breath this afternoon by a visit to the Museum and Art gallery for lunch..

Shannan tried the Lemon but found it not quite right to her liking..

No photography was allowed inside the Museum but we had a great time looking at interesting things that had the kids attention the whole time..

A walk around outside for a while..

and then off again to the beach/jetty to hand feed the fish..

Brandon in particular really enjoyed this part as he got a chance to feed many mullet, large fish called Milky Fish and Catfish.. There were reports of Snapper and even Barramundi there receintly but none seen today.. Probably a good thing cause all these fish swimming around a very frustrated fisherman was about as much as I could take..

Back at the unit the kids were back in the pool for a pre dinner swim and then after they went to bed we kicked back with a cool beer/wine waiting for the prawns to cook on the BBQ..

Bloody hard work this adventure riding..
Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 AM   #64
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Day # 17 And starting to think this isn`t resting...

Rather nice sleep in this morning and at 8 am found us splashing around the pool just for something different..

Today we had a pre booked date with the jumping Crocodiles on the Adelaide River and even before we all left Melbourne we were looking forward to this.. Caught the tour bus out and stopped off at the man made dam called Fogg Dam that was built by a company to feed water to the rice fields in the dry months years ago.. Was great in theory but they didn`t factor in the huge amount of Magpie Geese that live in this area and ate all the rice quicker than they could grow it.. It now lies unused except for the hundred of animal species that now call it home..

The cruise down the Adelaide River to view the jumping Crocodiles was sensational.. Seeing them a few days earlier at the farm was great but seeing them in the wild was something else.. They really one of the best preditors that have ever lived and is just amazing at how far these guys can launch themselves out of the water when food is on offer..

This effort was amazing also because you could clearly see her back legs out of the water so the strength in her tail is incredible..

This was the Daddy of the waterway and the photo doesnt capture the size of him or do him any justice..

All I can tell you is the two chop bones that where his to eat where much bigger than both my hands and his head made them look small..

Definately not a good place for a midnight swim or to learn how to waterski...

Back on dry land and it was time for a more serious photo session..

Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 AM   #65
Racketeer
Must escape......

Oddometer: 881
Thumb Good work Big G!!

Anyone else need some popcorn??????

When are we going on another trip Big G?????
Racketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #66
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Decided to have dinner on the warf back in Darwin and watch another sunset..

and then watch the large fish that lived under the jetty finish off peoples left overs that was being tossed in to feed them.. Not sure why or how they came to have a diet of chips but the Sea Gulls try as they did never stood a chance at getting any left overs..

Promised the kids a night time swim for being great just for something different and also found a friend that I hadn`t seen for many years..

A few quiet beers and watched a movie after the water rats had gone to bed and another day in Paradise came to an end..
Old 11-30-2007, 04:44 AM   #67
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racketeer

Anyone else need some popcorn??????

When are we going on another trip Big G?????

G`Day there traveling companion..

Good to hear from you mate..

Not too sure about the next trip but if you could put a good word in for me to your Sister then who knows..

Doing this ride report has certainly got the travel bug biting again so we should try and get away for a weekend at least sometime before Christmas if we can..
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #68
HamoAus
Springfield Lakes

Oddometer: 599
Great reading and viewing Nev, keep up the good work.

Cheers
HamoAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #69
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamoAus
Great reading and viewing Nev, keep up the good work.

Cheers
Cheers Hamo..
Old 11-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #70
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Day # 18.. Rest Day In Darwin... HA

Took the young bloke out this morning on a fishing charter and a real highlight for me of the time spent in Darwin.. Brandon`s love of fishing started a few years ago and he is still keen to get out at every opportunity.. Today was one of those days that you dream about where good numbers of fish were caught of every species.. "Goldies" or Gold Snapper, Chocolate Cod a good size Cod that we all agreed should be put back and even hooked a Shark that had all our muscles working overtime..

Brandon even hooked a Spanish Mackerel that he fought all the way to the boat by himself only to have our guide miss twice with the gaff and the fish won it`s freedom.. I was very dissapointed for Brandon not to land such a hard fighting fish but he just shook it off and said "That`s fishing".. I think that made me even prouder than if he had landed it..

Quite a few different species where caught and released to fight another day as we already had enough for lunch and couldn`t see any point taking anything that we couldn`t eat..

Brandon also caught the most fish by far for the morning and didn`t miss an opportunity for the rest of the day to remind the old boy of his fishing skills.. I didn`t bother telling him that he had his own personal deckie the whole time as to see the joy on his face when he caught the fish and then told his Mum after was just priceless..

The rest of the day was just spent by the pool relaxing and then packing ready for Michelle and the kids to fly back home to Melbourne and for me to head off on the next part of the adventure..

My bike was sitting waiting patiently and I was keen to play..

Old 11-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #71
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Day # 19.. The Adventure Continues..

All too soon it was time to hug the wife and kiss the kids goodbye and head off again on the next leg of my journey.. The time spent together in Darwin as a family was sensational and very much a reminder for me at just how far out of ballance I had become living in the World of ADVRider.. It was a real wake up call for me that I was missing special parts of my childrens life growing up and needed to change my priorities a little and find a healthy ballance of work and play..

Needless to say the first day back on the bike was spent missing them and probably not enjoying it as much as what I should have.. It was still a great day all the same..

I had decided to head back to Katherine via Jabiru.. For some reason Jabiru had for quite a few years held a fascination with me and a destination that I wanted to see.. This area was nearing the end of the dry season and the dry parched land definately wasn`t at it`s viewing best.. Add 36 Deg C + and it was pretty hard work in the afternoon heat..

Stopped off at Fogg Dam again as it was just a short detour and I wanted to see if I could find any Crocodiles that have been seen there from time to time..

I had left Darwin a little later than what I had hoped and with the temperatures getting up there my arse was letting me know about it.. It may have become waterlogged with all the swimming over the last few days and I think it will take a few days now to get back into the swing of things.. Bugger..

The Kakadu National Park was well worth the detour and would be a sight to see during the wet season.. I`m not exactly sure what I expected to see but it was close to what I had imagined.. ??

Of course there are always these dwellings scattered across the Top End of Australia..

The big KTM reached a bit of a milestone today clocking over the 20 000 klm mark as I was crossing the South Aligator River bridge.. If I was to have a million guesses as to where that milestone would have happened when I picked it up at the dealers in Melbourne I doubt I would guessed anywhere near there.. I know... Small things..

Made my way back into Katherine in the late afternoon..

and back to the cabins I stayed in on the way to Darwin..

Day 19 travels..

Darwin> Jabiru> Pine Creek Katherine..

607klms..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-30-2007 at 05:51 PM
Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #72
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Thumb Day # 20 and WOW what a day...

The early morning stint out of Katherine saw quite a bit of Roo dodging and weaving that caused a few anxious moments and there where plenty of reminders of the ones that weren`t so lucky..

Not long out of town the road showed glimpses of the beauty I had in store for the day..

Passed a few more monuments along the way..

and could see in the distance some places of interst..

Started to work my way into the Gregory National Park which was so different from the wide open areas East of Darwin..

Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #73
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

I had a talk with the owner of the servo at Victoria River about the stunning scenery and she told me at certain times of the day the mountains around almost looked like they were on fire.. Depending on what angle the rising sun was at.. What a fantastic thing to see every day when you first get out of bed..

I then followed the Stokes Range for some time and in awe of it`s natural beauty..

Just simply a stunning part of this Top End..

I found my first Boab tree today also but it certainly wasn`t the last..

Some more roadside monuments..

and some even bigger Boab Trees.. I could have taken a photo of every Boab I passed today.. We don`t have any in Victoria that I`m aware of and the different shapes and character of every tree was for me pretty special..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-30-2007 at 07:07 PM
Old 11-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #74
dogsbody
Occasionally lucid

Oddometer: 301
Nevster!

G'day Mate!

I've been waiting to see this.....was getting a bit worried that it wasn't coming!

Looks like the family had a great time in Darwin with "Super-Dad"!

Cheers,

Tony
Old 11-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #75
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,508
Really enjoying your report!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote