Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #76
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,171
Next stop was a place with a bit of Australian history.. Gregory`s Tree..

The road in to this historical site wasn`t particularly hard at all but maybe not quite paying attention and highway tyre pressures plus a touch too much speed saw a massive tank slapper in soft sand and I still don`t know how I stayed upright.. It certainly wasn`t anything to do with riding ability that`s for sure..

From the carpark to the tree itself was a walk of about 250 meters.. I met a young couple in a 4WD that I got talking to that was spending 4 Months traveling around Australia and when I asked if they had been to see the tree or if they wereon their way they told me it was too far to walk and they couldn`t be bothered...

Two weeks into their trip and not seeing much..

After taking this last photo I realised I had left my ignition key in my bike and it was sitting in the carpark.. Lets just say the 250 meters was covered in half the time it took to get there..

Was very happy to see that it was still waiting when I got back..

nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #77
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody
G'day Mate!

I've been waiting to see this.....was getting a bit worried that it wasn't coming!

Looks like the family had a great time in Darwin with "Super-Dad"!

Cheers,

Tony
Hi Dogsbody..

We all had a great time in Darwin mate and sorry it has taken so long to start putting the report together.. There`s a few that`s been keen to see that it did actually happen..

The last couple of days of this trip with your good self was also a highlight for me and looking forward to the next opportunity to travel some more with you..

cheers mate..

Nev
Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #78
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

From here it was just a bit of stuffing around while riding along wondering what sort of a Dork I looked like while on the bike..

Was made easier by one of FastEddieB throttle lock systems that he sent over from America for me.. Thanks mate..

With a bit of straight road to cover..

I could play for a while and show the difference between the KTM speedo and the Sat Nav actual speed..

that soon got stopped before it all turned prear shaped by my own stupidity..

It wasn`t long before I reached Keep River National Park and more wonderful sites..

And more of these brilliant Boab trees that where fast becoming a favourite for me..

Still plenty of these big guys around to keep my company most of which were very friendly and waved when they saw me..

I really didn`t expect this part of Oz to be so beautiful.. I`d heard so much of the Top End but not too much of this area..

Here`s something I don`t see too often in Melbourne..

A grader towing a diesel tank towing a caravan towing a 4WD.. I guess he had one of the best braking systems going around if he needed to stop in a hurry... Just drop the blade..
Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #79
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,965
It must have been good to have some time out with the family half way through.

Have to restock the then I am coming back for more

Your speedo is about as accurate as mine.

How did it go distance wise against what the GPS said?
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #80
bongodave
Legalize it, already

Oddometer: 39,136
I am living vicariously through you. Someday, I, too will go to Australia!
All hail Nev!
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #81
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Time to say goodbye to the Northern Territory and after close enough to 8 500 kilometers it was time to say hello to the BIGGEST State in Australia.. Western Australia..

While doing the ride schedule and planning all those Months ago I wrote somewhere near the top of the list that I wanted to visit Lake Argyle near Kunnunarra WA.. The Ord Dam I was told is 32 times the size of the Sydney Harbour and all fresh water.. That`s an awful lot of cups of tea..

The 35 kilometers into the dam and the dam itself has to rank right up there with the most picturesque I have ever had the plessure to see.. Simply put... Sensational.. I took quite a few pictures of this place but as usual the photos just don`t do what I was seeing any justice whatso ever.. I did capture some of it though..

This is only the dam wall but the most of it is tucked around the corner and then for many miles beyond that..

Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #82
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

The road into the dam was only 35 kilometers but it somehow took close enough to 3 1/2 hours as I kept stopping for photos and even just to let it all sink in.. Further into my travels I asked other travelers if they had visited Lake Argyle and was really surprised at just how many decided to miss it as it was just another dam and once you had seen one then you pretty much had seen them all.. If only they knew what they had missed..

I think this photo is one of my personal favourites and as I type this it takes me back to when the photo was actually taken..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 11-30-2007 at 10:42 PM
Old 11-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #83
humdinger
bp

Oddometer: 616
Thumb

Inspirational stuff Nev!
Only a true Dad would fly the family up to spend some quality time with them while Adventuring
Must have taken some time to share a trip like this over the web, well done!
Looking forward to the rest!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #84
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger
Inspirational stuff Nev!
Only a true Dad would fly the family up to spend some quality time with them while Adventuring
Must have taken some time to share a trip like this over the web, well done!
Looking forward to the rest!!!
Hi Humdinger..

Only a true Mother would insist on meeting up with a true Dad while he was out Adventuring..

Very much enjoyed being with them again and didn`t realise how much I could miss them all after only two weeks..

It`s taking a while to type but I`m reminiscing about the trip while I go so having a ball doing it.. Glad your enjoying it so far..
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 PM   #85
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Even the hot 35 C + temperatures of the afternoon didn`t take anything away from the day..

Here`s the creek that the dam flows into and could imagine what it would be like when the dam gates are opened fully and the creek flows strong..

a short ride back to the main road but not without a couple more photos..

Eventually pulling in to my overnight destination at Kununurra for a well earnt rest and cool shower..

I got chatting with a German couple who had spent the best part of 11 Months traveling around Australia in there 4 WD bus.. After finishing up in Brisbane in little over a Months time they then head to New Zealand for a year and then off again to the next destination.. What a life..

While we were chatting about our travels he told me they had been as far as Mongolia, Russia, and pretty much everywhere where the team of LWD had been and more.. Even travelled some countries by BMW himself and I bet had a million stories of his journeys and experiences.. Could have sat there just listening for hours but it had gone past my bed time and I had a few decissions of my own I had to make so I bid them a goodnight and hit the sack..

What a great day it had been and I lay there just looking at todays photos taken for some time..

Day 20 travels..

Katherine> Victoria River> Timber Creek> Lake Argyle Village> Kununurra..

633klms..
Old 12-01-2007, 12:28 AM   #86
Tuco69
Diablo on two wheels

Oddometer: 63
Speedo error

Great post - and what looks like a magic trip!

Hey Nev - I saw your shot that showed the difference between your GPS and the nine fiddy speedo.

When I had mine, I also noted a similar difference and overcame it by resetting the wheel size (WS) in the speedo to 19"

After resetting it - the GPS and speedo were usually within 1 KPH of each other with a new Pirelli Scorpion fitted. As the front tyre wears, then the inaccuracy develops. With a new higher profile D606 the 21" setting is closer.

Not sure if you know how to reset it - so will post the proceedure here .....

To adjust the front wheel size setting you do the following -

Turn the key on

press the mode button until the odo setting comes up

Press and hold the mode and set buttons down together, until the screen changes to the wheel size screen - the one that flashes up the big 21 when you turn the key on - you have to hold the buttons down for about 7-8 sec's for this to occur.

press the mode button to cycle through the various wheel sizes - 17, 19, 21 - once you have the one you want press the set button.

Looking forward to following the rest of your trip - ride safe.

05 Cagiva Navigator 1000

07 Yamaha WR450F - Safari Tanked

Tuco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:26 AM   #87
MarkN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,958
Hi Nev,

This is a great report and makes me want to come to Oz and have a look around myself.

This report is taking a lot of time and effort for you to put together and I want you know it's very appreciated, I'm loving it. Your pictures and explanations are superb.

Thank you

Mark
Old 12-01-2007, 01:36 AM   #88
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco69
Great post - and what looks like a magic trip!

Hey Nev - I saw your shot that showed the difference between your GPS and the nine fiddy speedo.

When I had mine, I also noted a similar difference and overcame it by resetting the wheel size (WS) in the speedo to 19"

After resetting it - the GPS and speedo were usually within 1 KPH of each other with a new Pirelli Scorpion fitted. As the front tyre wears, then the inaccuracy develops. With a new higher profile D606 the 21" setting is closer.

Not sure if you know how to reset it - so will post the proceedure here .....

To adjust the front wheel size setting you do the following -

Turn the key on

press the mode button until the odo setting comes up

Press and hold the mode and set buttons down together, until the screen changes to the wheel size screen - the one that flashes up the big 21 when you turn the key on - you have to hold the buttons down for about 7-8 sec's for this to occur.

press the mode button to cycle through the various wheel sizes - 17, 19, 21 - once you have the one you want press the set button.

Looking forward to following the rest of your trip - ride safe.
Hi Tuco..

Thanks for that information mate.. I remember reading it ages ago but could never find it again.. Living in Melbourne with all these hidden speed cameras will now give me a better chance of retaining points on the liscense..

cheers mate
Old 12-01-2007, 01:40 AM   #89
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN
Hi Nev,

This is a great report and makes me want to come to Oz and have a look around myself.

This report is taking a lot of time and effort for you to put together and I want you know it's very appreciated, I'm loving it. Your pictures and explanations are superb.

Thank you

Mark
Hi Mark..

Glad your enjoying the report mate.. To be honest I had no idea Australia was this big or had so many beautiful places so it was a real eye opener for me as well..

I think I`m about half way through the report now so stay tuned for more if you like..

cheers mate..

Nev.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 AM   #90
Richard H
XTZ 660

Oddometer: 333
Bloody marvelous Nev.
Keep it coming. I think it's fantastic your family supported your desire to do this trip. My wife keeps telling me to "just do it" but it is difficult to arrange the time needed off work....one day.

Two questions.

1) Your KTM is it a 950 or 990i?
2) What fuel economy figures where you acheiving/tank range- whathever?

Thanks mate

Richard.