Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #91
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H
Bloody marvelous Nev.
Keep it coming. I think it's fantastic your family supported your desire to do this trip. My wife keeps telling me to "just do it" but it is difficult to arrange the time needed off work....one day.

Two questions.

1) Your KTM is it a 950 or 990i?
2) What fuel economy figures where you acheiving/tank range- whathever?

Thanks mate

Richard.
Hi Richard..

The bike is an 05 950 S mate and the fuel economy really depended on what speed I traveled at.. If I could control myself as I had to in places then 320/330 ks would have been very achievable where as if I cranked it up a bit then maybe 250/260 ks.. I didn`t think that was too bad considering the amount of weight I was carrying and the poor fuel quality..

Take your wifes advise mate and get out there and do it... You wont regret it...
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:25 AM   #92
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H
Bloody marvelous Nev.
Keep it coming. I think it's fantastic your family supported your desire to do this trip. My wife keeps telling me to "just do it" but it is difficult to arrange the time needed off work....one day.

Richard.
You could always come along with me in 2010 Richard.

A2

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:49 AM   #93
JRW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Thanks for the welcome nev - have a question... what helmet is that? looks pretty good.
JRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:54 AM   #94
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999

Great stuff Nev, keep it coming
Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #95
Beeming
Itchy Feet

Oddometer: 636
Cool another Aussie doing a lap of their back yard Bike looks well set up too. Reading with interest...

Ps Yeah the helmet is a Arai but I have not seen one on the shelves yet. It looks a lot like my Arai Tour Cross but different front section. What and how much is it?
07 GS1200ADV (History), 2008 Oz Trike, 93 FLHS HD, 83 XLH HD(Missus Bike), 97 GSX-R-600(Ex SuperSport Race Bike), 97 XR-400, 74 Norton Commando Mk II(Ex Post Classic race Bike), 06 DT-175, 82 CB-250, 02 VMoto. Work to Ride, Ride to Work
http://wwf.org.au/ourwork/species/
...Adventure before Dementia...
Beeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:16 AM   #96
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,195
I think you'll find it's a shoei Hornet.

A2

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:20 AM   #97
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW
Thanks for the welcome nev - have a question... what helmet is that? looks pretty good.
Hi JRW,,

The helmet is a Shoei Hornet bought overseas and very happy with the way it felt the whole trip.. I bought an Arai but the shape didn`t quite suit my head shape and the peak vibrated quite badly while riding the 950 to a point where the visor distorted giving me blurred vision.. The 950 is well known for wind buffeting so it was more a screen issue rather than the helmet itself..

Two issues with the Shoei... The helmet didn`t have an ADR approved sticker on the back so may have been a problem if I was pulled over by a Police officer and checked and also when I was heading West and into a setting sun the peak could have been a touch larger..

I did fit an aftermarket screen just days before leaving home and I believe this could have solved the vibration problem of the Arai but not the comfort issue.. I`d be trying both before making a purchase if you could as they seem to suit different head shapes better..

cheers.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:29 AM   #98
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeming
Cool another Aussie doing a lap of their back yard Bike looks well set up too. Reading with interest...

Ps Yeah the helmet is a Arai but I have not seen one on the shelves yet. It looks a lot like my Arai Tour Cross but different front section. What and how much is it?
Hi Beeming..

Just a shame we didn`t catch up somewhere along the way for a beer or two mate..

I think we are blessed to be able to do what we have done and I bet you are keen now to do it all over again?? It`s a bloody big place though when you start to ride around it isn`t it?? Seemed so much smaller at home looking at the map..

Keep up the good work with your report also mate..
Old 12-01-2007, 05:47 AM   #99
Beeming
Itchy Feet

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64
Hi Beeming..

Just a shame we didn`t catch up somewhere along the way for a beer or two mate..

I think we are blessed to be able to do what we have done and I bet you are keen now to do it all over again?? It`s a bloody big place though when you start to ride around it isn`t it?? Seemed so much smaller at home looking at the map..

Keep up the good work with your report also mate..
You bet. Yeah the helmet looked a lot like a Arai but there ya go. With your Arai its possible to change all the linings with different sizes. Just pull them out and replace.
I only got back home about 3 weeks ago so you never know we might have been in the same area at some point. I spent 4 weeks out there all up and managed only 12,000 klm's this time due to unforeseen circumstances as I'll get too
Heading back out in a few months to do the Strzelecki and Birdsville tracks ect. Life's a bike

Tads
07 GS1200ADV (History), 2008 Oz Trike, 93 FLHS HD, 83 XLH HD(Missus Bike), 97 GSX-R-600(Ex SuperSport Race Bike), 97 XR-400, 74 Norton Commando Mk II(Ex Post Classic race Bike), 06 DT-175, 82 CB-250, 02 VMoto. Work to Ride, Ride to Work
http://wwf.org.au/ourwork/species/
...Adventure before Dementia...
Beeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #100
GFiotakis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Amazing trip

aprilia Pegaso 650 cube
BMW R 1100 GS
http://www.on-offadventures.blogspot.com/

GFiotakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #101
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,612
Just checked in again...excellent pictures....as always keep `em coming ...you can never have too many..

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 AM   #102
JRW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Thanks for the info. Will have to check one out.
JRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #103
batmo
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 112
This report should have come with a warning...

DO NOT OPEN
MAY BE CONTAGIOUS

Thanks for the TERRIFIC REPORT and PICTURES

batmo screwed with this post 12-02-2007 at 10:35 AM
batmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #104
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 533
Good Day, Nev!

I've spent two wonderful hours reading through your report - top notch, all the way!

In addition to the obvious appeal of the travel and riding shots, I was touched by the extent of coverage you've given to the support you to - and from - your family.

It's an inspiration and reminder of the priority/balance between one's own hobby and one's family, and to the extent that its obvious in your posts, you've really acheived it. Whenever I feel grumpy about the inability to undertake a major (multi-week) trip, I'll remember that I'm blessed my wife supports my just having a bike!

What helmet is that you've got? It looks like an Arai XD, but with a twist ...

BTW - I'm a big fan of TBAM, which one can get here in Canada - it has exposed me to some wonderful bits of Aussie country I mightn't have otherwise known about. Your report has filled in many gaps about what your wonderful country is like.

Ride safe, and thanks for the report!

cheers,

cm

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #105
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,012
magic nev !!!. Ive always done my travelling in bits and pieces but this has got me itchin to do a lap !!!