Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 03:15 AM   #121
LOFTYBOB
Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer: 695
Fantastic ride report & pics Nev. Gives me an itchy throttle hand, and I'm sure your trip & report will be an inspiration for others to get out and discover this fantastic land of ours.
Thanks for sharing.
Bob
Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 AM   #122
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
Hey Nev! Great report and pics mate. Are you back in Melbourne as you type this?

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #123
RISKY
Dont Sell Your Toys

Oddometer: 8
Great report Nev,

I have been waiting to read about your adventures.
Sounds and looks like you had one of those life experiences.
Looking forward to the next chapters.
Well done Nev

Regards RISKY
RISKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #124
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64

I decided to take some 5 litre fuel cans (one fuel and one water) with me as there are some long distances between fuel stops in parts of the top end.. My idea was to store them out of the way on the back of the pannier when empty and when full bring them around to the front of the panniers to keep the extra weight forward and lower..

Where'd you get those straps? I like them.

thx.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #125
Russ

Oddometer: 15,104
HTML Code:
Where'd you get those straps? I like them.
They are andy strapz
http://www.andystrapz.com

They are the best you got to get some
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #126
booman
Sold it - Regret it

Oddometer: 13
Laugh Keep it up

Keep the trip review going Nev.
Ive just signed up and have to say your trip report is very inspiring.
With regards to the Halls Creek feeling you had, I had the same thing around 10 years ago when travelling through there.......must be something in the air.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 AM   #127
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,170

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #128
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,142
Day # 22

Quote:

What a bloody great camping spot..

It WAS a great camping spot... Unfortuantely I wasn`t the only one with the same thoughts... Sat down to cook my dinner and little did I know I was being attacked from underneath.. Thousands of these little red ants had made there way over everything quick smart and the tent was covered in minutes.. I`d obviously set up on an ants nest and they were into everything.. My mobile phone that I put on the ground even filled and I had to use a roll on aeroguard to stop them from carrying me away too..

Good nights sleep and up early for a smallish ride to my next destination of Broome.. Pretty uneventful mornings ride with the land opening up or burnt off there wasn`t a heck of a lot to get the camera out but there was the odd thing to snap along the way.. I did notice however at just how hot it was in the early morning.. Thought it best to get cracking and cover these kilometers before the afternoon warmed beyond comfortable..

Amazing at just how many square kilometers had been burnt back and sadly I wasn`t seeing the best of this area.. With a small amount of rain this country would be back in buisness in just a few short days though..

Saw some more of these magnificent Boabs.. So different to what we get in Victoria..

Not everything was burnt though and even saw the odd tree in bloom..

But what really had my attention today was the different colour the soils could be.. Rich red and even purple in some sunlight angles.. I wasn`t aware I could get so much entertainment out of dirt..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 12-04-2007 at 02:25 AM
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 AM   #129
RPN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:

.. I wasn`t aware I could get so much entertainment out of dirt..

See? You should have done the Gibb River Rd!
RPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:59 AM   #130
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Decided to take the 100 odd kilometer round trip detour to Derby as the short distance to Broome gave me the time needed to reach it comfortably and saw an old Boab Prison Tree that was used to hold Aboriginals many years ago.. Was a huge tree and would imagine that 12-15 or more would fit with little trouble..

Rode through the spread out town of Derby and ended up at the Jetty which overlooked the King Sound Bay which was so different from the Mountain Ranges of the last few days.. I`m not sure how high the tide flows but by the looks at the height of the jetty it must be a decent one..

Spoke to an older bloke who was doing a spot of crab fishing while I was riding out and I asked him if there was any Crocs around.. His response was that they have lost 3 dogs off the end of the boat ramp this year and no-one can catch the the thing... I thought it was time to keep moving...

It was starting to really heat up and just riding around town had the Thermo fan running non stop.. Filled up at the service station and noticed this when I got back from paying.. No real danger but needed to be aware..

Was preparing to head off again and put my helmet on and was about to put my gloves on when I noticed about a dozen ants on my hands... While looking down at my hands I then saw ants on my helmet chin protector.. What the???

I took it back off and found the little shits crawling out of it everywhere.. I squashed as many as I could but came to the realisation pretty soon that I would be there all day. I walked across the road to Woolworths and bought some bug spray and pulled the foam pads out of the helmet and drowned the buggers.. Reassembled it and set off soon after.. Don`t remember much of the next hour after that as I was really very happy for some reason and told a few more Boab Trees that I loved them.. I also thought it fairly amusing afterwards that for the 240 odd kilometers I thought I could feel something crawling in my ear but thought it was just my glasses not fitting properly.. Quick as a flash this boy??

This is the turn off looking back up the road towards Kununurra..

Sadly for me soon after this photo was taken I passed a road train heading towards Derby with two graders on it`s trailers.. My guess is they were heading to do the Gibb River Road in which case I must have been around 2 weeks too early..

Saw a few little lagoons between Derby and Broome that had small Crocs in them but in no way was I getting close enough to get their picture..

Also saw some more of this amazingly rich coloured soil..

And arrived in Broome early afternoon..

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 12-04-2007 at 03:46 AM
Old 12-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #131
nevgriff64 OP
Spelt with 2 ffs

Anyone that has stayed in Broome would know that you need to book well in advance and then be very prepared to pay for it.. Quite an expensive part of Australia and tried half a dozen different places for accomodation all with same " sorry fully booked out" tale.. One of the receptionists must have felt sorry for me when she saw my bottom lip start to quiver and rang around to find me a cabin.. Eventually found one and things were looking good..

Now I thought a few cabins along the way had been a bit pricey but when it come time to pay after booking in and was told it was $275 for the one night... I think I payed in shock.. I also mummbled that I only wanted to stay one night and not buy it...

I wanted a cabin that night as it had become unbearably hot and wanted also to have TV access to watch the mighty Collingwood Magies take on the West Coast Eagles in the AFL football.. Sure hope it was bloody worth it...

Here`s my Penthouse for the night..

Collingwood beat the Eagles in extra time.... YOU BEAUTY..

After the footy I headed into Broome for dinner and became hopelessly lost and no idea where I was and started to laugh when I realised I couldn`t even ask for help cause I had no flamin idea of what the name of the Motel I was staying at or where it was... Just payed all that money and looked like spending the night in the gutter..

Eventually found my way back after many detours and back tracking and set myself up in front of the TV again to watch the Aussies kick the Poms butts in the 20/20 Cricket competition in South Africa..

Day 22 travels..

Fitzroy Crossing> Derby> Broome..

505 klms..

Report starts again here..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=154

nevgriff64 screwed with this post 12-06-2007 at 03:20 AM
Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #132
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 416
Brilliant .... just brilliant.
which brings me to my question.....
How in blazes do you keep a shine on ya bike ???
I recently crossed the N/bore .... both ways .... bike was filthy .. absolutely filthy ... more from bugs than anything else ... no bugs up there mate ??
Anyway .... what can I say that hasn't been said b4 .... thanks.

STay upright
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #133
Racketeer
Must escape......

Oddometer: 880
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by french horn
Brilliant .... just brilliant.
which brings me to my question.....
How in blazes do you keep a shine on ya bike ???
I recently crossed the N/bore .... both ways .... bike was filthy .. absolutely filthy ... more from bugs than anything else ... no bugs up there mate ??
Anyway .... what can I say that hasn't been said b4 .... thanks.

STay upright
GladWrap... ..

Peel a layer off for the photos..
Racketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:01 AM   #134
JRW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
rofl... so the bike itself now weighs 25KG less then when he started
JRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #135
Irishdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I'm at home sick from work and reading this report has made me forget me woes, keep up the good work man. Great report
Irishdude is offline   Reply With Quote