User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
nskitts OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,948
Any tall guys ridden a Bonneville?

I love the looks of the Triumph Bonnevilles but I think I will be too tall for one. Anyone here over 6' that has ridden one or currently owns one? If so, what's your take?

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Was given one as a loaner while a bike was in the shop. 6'4" and I was fine on it.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Aerodynamic Head
n00b

Oddometer: 5
trading mine

I currently have an '07 Bonnie Black. I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, 220#. I find it odd. My knees are at about the angle I have had on "soft" sportbikes. A tad more folded up than on a new Bandit. But then the pegs themselves are pretty far forward, and the foot levers force your foot to parallel with the road--too much up-bend in the ankles to be really comfortable. The reach to the bars (my dress shirts have 35-36" sleeves) isn't too far, but it feels to me like it wants to be lower. Not that I want the bar lower, but it wants to be, if that makes any sense.

That said, it's a really nice feeling engine, sounds good even with just the Triumph brand offroad pipes, and pretty smooth. But at my height, there's not enough real estate on that seat for my wife. We'vee just this weekend decided to trade: can't decide between a Kawi Versys and a a DR 650. Had I to do it again, I'd get a Thruxton, for second or third bike.
Aerodynamic Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts
I love the looks of the Triumph Bonnevilles but I think I will be too tall for one. Anyone here over 6' that has ridden one or currently owns one? If so, what's your take?
Triumph encourages test rides. Go take one out and see for yourself.
Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
modre
Banned

Oddometer: 65
I make 2" peg lowering sets for the new bonnevilles that have rave reviews from tall and bad knees.

http://www.triumphrat/bonnie-owners-...trest-kit.html

email me at modre@verizon.net and I'll fix you up with details.
modre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I have a 2001 Bonne and I'm 6'2, 205, also w/ a 34" inseam and have ridden about 5000 miles in 3 mths.

You;ll read about guys buying new bars, new shocks, new forks, etc. I recently bought a solo seat that has more padding than the stock "ironing board" type seat and i think that'll only enhance the comfort.

The thruxton have the rear sets which might make things more comfortable for long legs but they have the clip on bars which I read people complain about sore wrists and back,

Go w/ a Bonne and I dont think you'll be disapointed, take a test ride 1st if you can. You'll be amazed how smooth the ride is and how it handles in twists,

Good luck,
Dave
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Foxy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Half the reason I sold mine was that it was fairly cramped, made worse when two up.

But then I still happily do 400 mile days on a Bullet
Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:58 AM   #8
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
try the scrambler, a couple of inches taller. You can fit on a basic bonnie if your north of say 6'2" but it's going to feel small and tight, at least it did for me (sigh).
Old 12-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,757
I have had 2 Bonnevilles and a Thruxton. If I buy another it will be a Scrambler. Much more comfy. I am 6'1" and felt cramped on the Bonnie but not on the Scrambler.
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
vol245
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and I had a '04 T100 for about a year and put 6500 miles on it. I didn't like the bolt upright position and put Norman Hyde M bars on it. They were fantastic, but I felt more cramped on it with them. I was riding with my feet on the passenger pegs whenever possible. The previous owner had the seat refoamed by Sargent and I found it to still be very uncomfortable. Mine had Ikons fron and rear and Staintune pipes. I loved it at first, but got tired of it feeling cramped so I sold it.
vol245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
I have a T100 and am 6'2" with "average" proportions. I've done over 600 mile days on it, but yeah it's cramped. I have a solo seat with rack (from Triumph) that's at least an inch thicker up front. That helps. I've also purchased some lowering pegs from Classicbike Raisch that should be arriving soon. Others have said they work well.

Or you could buy modre's lowering links and make a kickstand out of a bunch of them!

And as others have suggested, the Scrambler does give a bit more breathing room both because the pegs are lower on the bike and because the stock seat is thicker than the Bonnie's stock seat. Hope that helps!
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #12
nskitts OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol245
I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and I had a '04 T100 for about a year and put 6500 miles on it. I didn't like the bolt upright position and put Norman Hyde M bars on it. They were fantastic, but I felt more cramped on it with them. I was riding with my feet on the passenger pegs whenever possible. The previous owner had the seat refoamed by Sargent and I found it to still be very uncomfortable. Mine had Ikons fron and rear and Staintune pipes. I loved it at first, but got tired of it feeling cramped so I sold it.
Just what I mean! These are beautiful motorcycles. They have got to be the most symmetrical motorcycle design. Just perfect, how I wish I was 5'10".....sometimes.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
BubbaZanetti
for a corrector life

Oddometer: 13,156
my 6'5" friend looked a big gigantic on his 04' Thruxton
BubbaZanetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
nskitts OP
Beastly Adventurer

A 6'5" guy is a big gigantic no matter is he's on a Bonneville or a Hardley Ableson.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts
A 6'5" guy is a big gigantic no matter is he's on a Bonneville or a Hardley Ableson.
'nope, 'looks right at home on a KLR from what I've seen. Tall dual-sports, the mount of choice for giants.....