Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrichard
Ever try adding a set of ECHs for the nostrils?
Don't think they would put out enough air volume to do the trick. But I have thought about a sub-woofer in a strap around your chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSikorski
How would you rate in sound quality to the Shure 310s. Subjective, I know, but my e2cs went south a while back and need replacing.
I think most folks would find the 310 a little dry; maybe more accurate, but a little lifeless. Just a tad, they're good cans, but the Q-Jays are fun! Really.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #17
Trinity
Byron in Texas

Oddometer: 284
Many thanks for "outing" yourself and for giving us po' folks some much need guidance!

I travel quite a lot to Finland for business and I currently use Etymotic ER4Ps...TOTALLY love the amazing sound, all day comfort and wonderful isolation. When I'm at home, I use them in combo with iPod line out adapter + Super Mini Moy amp for even better sound.

Question: My office is being reorganized into a more "collaborative" environment (read MUCH smaller cubes) and I need something that blocks nearby conversations of others, but are easy on/off (which the Etys are not). I have some Grado S60s which I like sonically, but don't find them comfortable to wear for extended periods. I've just ordered the Yuin PK2 from your store as a possible solution, but wonder if there are any others like the Senn PX100 that you'd recommend as well?

(FWIW, I listen to a lot of jazz, ambient, classical, etc...definitely not a basso profundo... )

Thanks,
Byron
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #18
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity
Many thanks for "outing" yourself and for giving us po' folks some much need guidance!
Yer welcome, mate.

Quote:
I travel quite a lot to Finland for business and I currently use Etymotic ER4Ps...TOTALLY love the amazing sound
They were one of the first and remain one of the best sounding. The ergos are better on some of the new onest though.

Quote:
I've just ordered the Yuin PK2 from your store as a possible solution,
Cancel the order and order the PK1 if you can afford it. If an ear bud works for you (and should in what you describe) then get the PK1 if you can because it's sound is FUCKING AMAZING for an ear bud. Hell it's moderately amazing, definately head-to-head competative with full sized cans in it's price range. However, they're relatively hard to drive, so they won't be loud on an iPod without the amp.

Other suggetions:

Can't go wrong with the sealed Sennheiser HD280Pro; $99 and sound as good as any of the sealed cans to about $350.

Senn PX100s are great, but not sealed; your cube mates (do you now sit on the same chair? Sorry you're getting compressed, mate. ) will hear you. The PX200 is sealed, the perfect cheap, put-it-in-you-backpack can, perfect for the car and kids, but getting bass out of it is fit critical, so the sound is usually not as good as the 100.

The Beyer 231 sounds VERY good for a cheap plastic sealed can. So fugly no one will steal them from you. You can get them in 1956 Soviet Military gray,

But the Beyer DT231 Galactic (I'm not shitting you) comes in Buck Rodgers translucent purple plastic.

Quote:
(FWIW, I listen to a lot of jazz, ambient, classical, etc...definitely not a basso profundo... )
Thank God. Bassheads make me crazy. I'll sell them headphones with too much bass all day long, and we point them to cans that sound decent otherwize. They recomend us to their basshead freinds, and we keep selling them headphones with too much bass. But, no shit, the guys that mix this stuff put plenty of bass in there; you reproduct it accurately and tight the bass will wobble you Adam's apple.

Anyway, if you're not opposed to ear buds, for the price of two less expensive cans you'll be very satisfied with the PK1.

You let me know if your orders allready gone out and you want to change your mind. I'll make sure it get's switched around extra quick.

Putts screwed with this post 12-06-2007 at 08:05 PM
Putts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #19
WSikorski
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts
I think most folks would find the 310 a little dry; maybe more accurate, but a little lifeless. Just a tad, they're good cans, but the Q-Jays are fun! Really.
Thanks for the reply. Just placed an order for the Q-Jays in black.
WSikorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #20
bigrichard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
I have tinitus significantly in my right ear. It sucks!
Have you tried acupuncture?
bigrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #21
dettlinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Two ?s have I

Hey Tyll,

First of all, thanks for offering up your expertise and help here!!! This is what makes this site so frickin' great IMO.

Two questions from me:

At the recent bike show here in the Bay Area, I saw two vendors that sell custom-fit molded phones but I was unimpressed with the build quality of both company's products and concerned that the actual quality of the acoustic components wasn't going to be that great either. I currently use a pair of ER-6i's with the foam tips and my ear canals get sore after about two hours of use so I thought a custom molded phones might be a better solution for me. I understand this is highly subjective but are the acoustics and comfort superior enough on the high end stuff (like the UEs you sell) to warrant 6-7x the cost of say the Q-Jays?

Second, I have a Zumo 550 with XM and I get what i think is an ignition related whine (rising/falling with revs) through the phones. Is there an small inline box that would eliminate this?

Thanks again for your help and although I didn't get the ERs from you, you have my business going forward, YFF!!!

-Steve
dettlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #22
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrichard
Have you tried acupuncture?
Thanks for your concern, mate. I haven't, but I've heard of it. I guess I'm a bit of a brut (see my Jo momma posts) so I tend to just try to peace out and live with my lot. Have you got tinitus and tried acupuncture?

I also know that coffee, booze, and cigarettes aren't any good for it; could probably do lots more than accupuncture just by cutting that shit out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dettlinger
First of all, thanks for offering up your expertise and help here!!! This is what makes this site so frickin' great IMO.
Yer welcome, mate.

Quote:
I currently use a pair of ER-6i's with the foam tips and my ear canals get sore after about two hours of use so I thought a custom molded phones might be a better solution for me.
Sensaphonics makes custom tips for ER6 cans.

But I think they may end up sticking straight out and interfering with your helmet. Do you have problems with the helmet pushing in on the ER6? I'm actually quite surprised so many people here have them and that they work well under a helmet. However, I'd guess they'd stick out even farther with the

Quote:
I understand this is highly subjective but are the acoustics and comfort superior enough on the high end stuff (like the UEs you sell) to warrant 6-7x the cost of say the Q-Jays?
Probably not, for most people. Not that they wouldn't hear the difference, just that there's likely more valuable (to you) things to do with your money. Personally, I'd never buy some UE-11's at $1200; A) I've got kids, 2) I'd buy a GPS, saddle, paint job or something else for my bike. And there's the fact that I get them free so I can write about them.

BUT ... if you're a rich fuck and dig great audio, they won't dissapoint.

Quote:
Second, I have a Zumo 550 with XM and I get what i think is an ignition related whine (rising/falling with revs) through the phones. Is there an small inline box that would eliminate this?
Just guessing here, but it's likely ignition noise is being coupled into the power cable. They sell these magnetic noise supression chokes that you can clip on to a piece of cable to inductively damp signals.

Lemme see if I can find a pic .... here you go.

It's a ferrite magnet that stops high frequency transients from making up the cable. I'm sure the sell them at www.digikey.com, but I'd suggest you go to a car audio installer, I bet they've got something exactly right for the job.

Quote:
Thanks again for your help and although I didn't get the ERs from you, you have my business going forward, YFF!!!
Thanks, mate, no worries, but don't forget that FYYFF coupon code to get a bit of an extra discount. Besides, when the folks here start seeing that discount code popping up they won't mind it so bad when they see me posting here.

And, oh, by the fucking way, it's GREAT to be able to post about headphones and say FUCK! Thanks Baldy!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #23
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
etymotic..be sure to grab some

Extra filters, they normally come with some, but when you need the little buggers you don't want to wait on an order like I just did. Replaced filter and back in biz.
Ah tunes in both ears again!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #24
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
Extra filters,

snip
Ah tunes in both ears again!
Nice tip Angry, thanks.

Speaking of tips, I'll add that those custome earmolds I mentioned above from Sensaphonics can be made for all Etymotic and Shure products.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #25
jcolombo
Lurking Moderator

Oddometer: 1,248
And... HeadRoom rocks.

Kudos to Tyll for not once promoting his site, even though this *is* vendors, but as a HeadRoom customer for about 5 years, I've never received anything less than great service. The quality of their amps is something to see if you are used to normal "consumer" level stuff.

I've been using some variant of the "Mobile" amp on my bikes for a long time, and never had issues.

Usual caveats - just a satisified customer, but I think the information he's providing here is another good example of the type of company he's running.

Your Vendor Mod.
jcolombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #26
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolombo
And... HeadRoom rocks.

Kudos to Tyll for not once promoting his site, even though this *is* vendors,
Well, I did drop some linkies in my first post so people could head out to check things out. But thanks, glad your enjoying your gear. And keep your head on a swivel out there, it is awful easy to loose situational awareness with the seal an ear canal headphone gives. Personally, I'm not going to put tunes on my bike 'til I'm VERY comfortable riding around ... being a n00b at it and all.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #27
bigrichard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Have you got tinitus and tried acupuncture?
Haven't got it but I did pre-acupuncture

But it sounds like mine was milder than yours

Quote:
I also know that coffee, booze, and cigarettes aren't any good for it; could probably do lots more than accupuncture just by cutting that shit out.
If kickin coffee, booze & butts is easier for ya than spending half an hour at an acupuncturist's office yer the Willpower King
bigrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #28
darooster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Just got my Q-jay.... I REALLY like them... The fit is great, very comfortable and no hot spots. Helmet slips on and off with no problems. I'd say the sound is respectable at least coming out of the ZUMO. I haven't tried using them with an Ipod or other player to compare sound quality. I was hoping with the Zumo would have had some basic audio adjustments ie base, treble, balance.

so far to thumbs up for the Q-Jays!!

'07 1200 GS ADV
'93 K1100RS
'81 R80GS
R75/5 Vintage Racer
'70 BSA Lightning
'98 XR600
'93 XR200

It leaps like a gazelle, but lands like a grand piano....
darooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #29
Trinity
Byron in Texas

Oddometer: 284
FWIW, I have a couple of additional tips to share for those wanting to wear phones under a helmet.

- use a tiny amount of "Otoease," KY liquid (not kidding...) or olive oil on the OUTSIDE of your earplugs before insertion. I find the plugs will seat/seal much easier and better seal = mo' betta sound AND more betta comfort.

- use a "Sliks" helmet liner. Yeah, you'll look like a medieval monk (cue "Chant" soundtrack...), but it keeps your helmet cleaner and more importantly will help your helmet slide more easily over the phones/wires without dislocating them.

YMMV
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #30
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity

- use a tiny amount of "Otoease," KY liquid (not kidding...)

As repulsive as this sounds, it also seems really practical, not to mention it could provide an actual explanation for carrying KY in my tank bag.
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote