Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #31
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin
As repulsive as this sounds, it also seems really practical, not to mention it could provide an actual explanation for carrying KY in my tank bag.

"It' OK dear, it's for my head."

Suicide.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #32
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts
Well.....

I can understand how you can still be skeptical. But it's only because it's hard to get a sense of scale on how small these things really are. Lemme fix that.

I tried them in my helmet, no problem.

Putts, a comparison (size wise) of the most popular cans would be extremely helpful. Actually seeing the Q-Jays in a human ear makes all the difference in the world in understanding how they do not hit the helmet. Seeing the 6i's and others compared to the Q-Jays would be great because when you see just a picture of one particular can you have no earthly idea of how big or small it really is since a scale is rarely included in the photo.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #33
Trinity
Byron in Texas

Oddometer: 284
TexasRT, your request for a size comparison photo would probably be interesting/practical, but I can tell you from personal experience that size is NOT the whole story. (Or at least that what I've got my SO believing.... ).

When I first started my portable audio journey, I had some of the newly released Etymotic 6i...very small, comfortable (for me) and IMHO, very nice sound for the money. Unfortunately, when I wore them under my helmet (snug fitting Arai), it quickly put pressure on my ear canals. Even though I liked the sound, they became so uncomfortable that I had to stop after 30 minutes and take 'em out. I now have some of the custom molded earphones which are all-day-comfortable.
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #34
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT
Putts, a comparison (size wise) of the most popular cans would be extremely helpful.
Hiya, Tex. I'll snap a pic at work next week of them all lined up. But I really think the Q-Jays are the ticket.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #35
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,834
Putts

I have a set of ER6i and have used them for a bit. My issue is that I do a lot of long distance riding and the ER6i would come dislodged from my ear on the road. So now I have music in my left ear and a unconfortable thing in my right ear and 200 more miles left in the tank.

I went for helmet speakers ( Autocom ) and they just suck. No sound quality at all. I even wired in a CMOY amp to try to get them to sound better. I think those Autocom are a high impedance type cause the amp had a realy bad time with them. It works so much better with the ER6i's

My question is what is a good speaker to put in my helmet?

I would like high effeciant say 90db and keep the impedance reasonable.

I would not mind buying a good set of phones and butchering them into my helmet.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #36
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Hiya, Tex. I'll snap a pic at work next week of them all lined up. But I really think the Q-Jays are the ticket.
Tyll - Thanks. I'll probably go ahead and try the Q-Jays but didn't have a feel for relative size amongst the different models.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #37
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

How to Get the Schmutz Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT
Tyll - Thanks. I'll probably go ahead and try the Q-Jays but didn't have a feel for relative size amongst the different models.
No worries mate I'll line 'em up and take a picture. In fact, it would be a good picture for our web site. But, I bet I can get it up faster than they do. (fucking proceedures) Theirs will be better though.

I figure, since I got a half hour, I'll do a little public service announcement for your ears:

How to Get the Schmutz Out

First, the company line: Murine Ear Wax Removal

It's this slimy, 40 weight, carbomide peroxie stuff that you drip in your ear while your lying on your side. It starts fizzing on the fresh ear was and kinda ashes it out. Then you rinse out your ear with warm water using a little squeeze bulb. It does work, but just ok.

What you really need is one of these.

Here's a stainless steel one.

Japaneese bamboo ear pick. Called mimikaki. Google it to find one to buy or look for them in a China town, they do it to. DOn't get the plastic or metal ones with the tiny scoop; they scratch too had. Bamboo.

Gently, gently, GENTLY, excavate the stuff out. When you get the hang of it, it is pure bliss. Orgasm; sneeze; mimikaki, in order of instantaneous physical pleasures.

Seriously though, if you fuck up and jerk your arm at the wrong moment and poke you're ear drum out, it's your fault.

Anyway, this is the way to get your ear wax out. Your ear canal is about an inch long. Only the outer half inch produces wax; you know your half way because it's skin on bone for a bit there. What you want to do is gently wiggle your way through and get behind schmutz and then drag it out on the little hooked shovel on the end.

I'd do it every day, but if I wait til about three days I can almost allways fish out a lunker. Particularly satisfying.

With those ear canal headphones people worry about shoving stuff back in their ear. This does happen occasionally. And having impacted wax is no fun, it hurts, and you have to go to an ear doctor. But usually we find that people end up dragging way more out than they push in. Clean ears will stay clean.

Interesting factoid: the skin in the outer half of the ear canal grows out in six days. That's why you sometimes see flaky shit comming out of your ears.

I've talked to a few big wigs on ears about this; they do it in private, but won't advokate it in puplic. The folks over on the other side of the pacific figured this one out a long time ago. But, like the sign says: Enter at your own risk.

Putts screwed with this post 12-09-2007 at 08:27 PM
Putts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #38
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
What you want to do is gently wiggle your way through and get behind schmutz and then drag it out on the little hooked shovel on the end.

I'd do it every day, but if I wait til about three days I can almost allways fish out a lunker. Particularly satisfying.
I...I...I'm--I just, whenever I click this thread it's like 80% great info and then along comes this 20% of something I just can't...KY in my ears? And now this?

Look, I'm buying the fucking Q-jays already. I'm sold. PLEASE do not now get started on earlobe cancer or how sound waves from inferior speakers will cause my testicles to shrink and seep pus. Just...You know.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #39
WSikorski
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,508
Fedex moves fast. Got the Q-jays about 15 minutes ago. All I can say is, WOW! They sound great.
WSikorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #40
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Okie dokie. I just spent my last hour at work today doing something for ADV riders . Now that's work and play!

Here's your photo:

Left to right: Ultimate Ear custom molded UE11; Etymotic ER4P; Etymotic ER6i; Q-Jays; Shure SE310; Shure SE420; Shure SE530.

Them Q-Jays are small, eh? They basically go all the way into your ear. None of the rest even come close to that; usually it's just the tip that goes in.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #41
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTill
I would not mind buying a good set of phones and butchering them into my helmet.
This has crossed my mind often, and would love to hear about anyone's success doing this. Most interesting would be for someone who's done it with either Bose or other brand with an active noise canceling circuitry.

If you've ever flown on aircraft (especially helicopters) with this type of headphone, you'll know why it's so attractive.

fn

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #42
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,842
Neat thread! Whenever my budget gets refreshed, I'll get a pair of the Q-Jays... my ER-6's are on their last legs and are uncomfortable after significant helmet time.

Thanks for contributing with so much detail!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #43
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Neat thread!

Thanks for contributing with so much detail!
Awe, you're just saying that because I just bought your DVD today.

No shit, this afternoon before you posted. Glad you like my little thread. I know I'll dig and practice your shit.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #44
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,842
Quote:
Awe, you're just saying that because I just bought your DVD today.
Now that's just funny! I hadn't connected the two events, seriously, I just saw this thread and started digging through and it answered lots of questions I had.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #45
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTill
Putts
Dude.

Sorry, I lost your post in there.

Quote:
I have a set of ER6i ...snip...would come dislodged from my ear on the road. So now I have music in my left ear and a unconfortable thing in my right ear
Q-Jays.

Quote:
I went for helmet speakers ( Autocom ) and they just suck. No sound quality at all.
I could prolly wax musically about how I'd go about trying to build a helmet speaker. But it really boils down to the fact that then your helmet chioce would become extreeemely limited.

Quote:
It works so much better with the ER6i's
It's not worth solving that problem given that in-ear headphones basically do it better. As long as you can solve the problem that the mike has to come out with the head (because then all your cables are with the rider), and that you have to be resonably able to hear outside sounds, the in-ear headphones are better in every way.

They fail in being able to hear outside sounds, but that's thier stength too because you get the sound isolation needed to listen on the road at reasonable levels. What you need to add to the equation is an outside mike. They'll do that someday.

Bottom line, I don't think you'll ever get good sound out of a helmet. Let helmet makers make helmets, and let acoustics experts plug in your ears.

Putts screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 06:23 PM
Putts is offline   Reply With Quote