User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #61
robbrue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
MP3 on the cell phone

A lot of phones are equipped to play MP3 and will auto answer and pause the music if the phone rings. Any recomendations on in ear head sets with mic? On my last phone I had a hearing aid store exchange the speakers on the Treo head set with in ear speakers. I wraped the mic with a piece of sponge off of a singers mic to try to prevent the wind noise when talking. It worked ok, but the sponge wasn't quite enough to eliminate the wind noise in the mic.

Is there anything already set up with stereo headphones and a mic that I could plug directly into my phone?
robbrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #62
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrue
A lot of phones are equipped to play MP3 and will auto answer and pause the music if the phone rings. Any recomendations on in ear head sets with mic?
We looked into a product that that provided the ability to listen to high fidelity and the answer the phone. We found that manufacturers these day try to create their own standards to prevet loss of accessory sales to competitors. Your advocate for standards to allow the creation of a level playing field for inovators of all sizes and prevent information age tirany by corporate powers is here, if this seems important to you, please donate.

The fucking connectors, volume levels, and micropone bias requirements were all over the place. We simple couln't figure out a way to make a single, interoperable product without massive technical and economic strength.

So, sorry, I had to abandon my interest in these topics until standards wars are resolved, and I don't know much about products in this area.

Was that a rant or what?

Putts screwed with this post 12-12-2007 at 10:10 PM
Putts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #63
Trinity
Byron in Texas

Oddometer: 284
IMHO, Tyll's rant/commentary is valid. In the interest of full disclosure, I work for Nokia mobile phones. To date, I have not heard any headset, made by Nokia or othermanufacturer, available here or in Europe, corded or bluetooth, that successfully combines sound quality with decent microphone quality. I suspect that this dismal situation will change as the iPhone accessory makers get more firmly into the market in the next couple of years.
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #64
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Thanks for your comment, Trinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity
I suspect that this dismal situation will change as the iPhone accessory makers get more firmly into the market in the next couple of years.
I believe that Apple my be the greatest offender of the "my way is the right/only way" standards stance. But I think it is uniformly motivated by the desire to prevent the consumer from having to buy the shit commonly available to the broad public market and totally fucking up what would otherwise be a terrific Apple experience.

Currently have no business relationship with Apple. Just saying.

(Wouldn't mind one though. )

The rest of them money grubbers, in large measure, are motivated by over-achieving brat MBAs watching numbers representing Wall Street enthusiasm flying across thier screen and fondling them selves under the desk.

Still ranting I see.?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #65
hANNAbONE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1
the sony fontopia. found them @ best buy for 40$, the fit well underneath the helmet, and there is someone on ebay selling replacement booties for a few $ which i like better. the sound on a bike, is acceptable since there are too many other noises happening around, a 200$ set of headphones doesn't seem necessary.
ULTIMATE EARS SUPER FI - AWESOME.!

??did you order your RADIATION STICKERS yet??

jcolombo screwed with this post 12-13-2007 at 04:18 PM
hANNAbONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #66
MDB
I am not advised

Oddometer: 202
Putts--Damn you!

This is what I get for trolling around ADVrider instead of working--now I have to buy new ear phones

I have a set or ER6is that I love. I had no idea the music I was missing out on until I tried these. Unfortunately, on the bike they start to make my ears ache really bad after 1-2 hours. I can't put my finger on the reason but I assume it is the pressure of them being pushed against the side of my ears by the helmet--doesn't happen when I'm mowing the yard.

Sounds like the q-Jays are the answer to the question I was trying to ignore. Thoughts?

P.S. Thanks for posting--really informative thread--that probably just cost me north of $170.
MDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #67
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,818
What about a set of PX100 and I remove all the gear and use it as a helmet speaker?

Looks like it might work in my Schuberth.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #68
MDB
I am not advised

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDB
This is what I get for trolling around ADVrider instead of working--now I have to buy new ear phones

I have a set or ER6is that I love. I had no idea the music I was missing out on until I tried these. Unfortunately, on the bike they start to make my ears ache really bad after 1-2 hours. I can't put my finger on the reason but I assume it is the pressure of them being pushed against the side of my ears by the helmet--doesn't happen when I'm mowing the yard.

Sounds like the q-Jays are the answer to the question I was trying to ignore. Thoughts?

P.S. Thanks for posting--really informative thread--that probably just cost me north of $170.
Also--what about sound being transferred through the wires--The etymotics do this quite a bit when I ride my bicycle and the wires bump around a bit. How do the Q-Jays compare?
MDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #69
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts
Okie dokie. I just spent my last hour at work today doing something for ADV riders . Now that's work and play!

Here's your photo:

Left to right: Ultimate Ear custom molded UE11; Etymotic ER4P; Etymotic ER6i; Q-Jays; Shure SE310; Shure SE420; Shure SE530.

Them Q-Jays are small, eh? They basically go all the way into your ear. None of the rest even come close to that; usually it's just the tip that goes in.
I hate to try those ear canal headphones again and add some padding-insulation to my helmet.

Really. .. i want to insulate myself from the road-windnoise and have moderate (non harmful) levels of music and comms in my helmet.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #70
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
I hate to try those ear canal headphones again and add some padding-insulation to my helmet.

Really. .. i want to insulate myself from the road-windnoise and have moderate (non harmful) levels of music and comms in my helmet.
Did you mean to type "I have to try ......" Just rying to understand what you just said. If you have to edit you post, I'll edit this one with some comments and will save some scroll space.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #71
celeriac
Bump start

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDB
Also--what about sound being transferred through the wires--The etymotics do this quite a bit when I ride my bicycle and the wires bump around a bit. How do the Q-Jays compare?
The ER-6is can be worn the same way as the Shures with the wire going up and hooking around the ear. Eliminates most of the "microphoning" effect.

I haev a question about the ER-6i and the Q-jays. They sit deeply enough in the ear that I wonder how the heck do you remove them without yanking on the wires? I just did surgery on my ER6is to replace the cables, which have little to no strain relief and had broken, the left wire at the plug and the right wire at the base of the earpiece. The Q-jays look even worse in this respect.
celeriac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #72
n_maher
lacking adventure...

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTill
What about a set of PX100 and I remove all the gear and use it as a helmet speaker?
The problem with ear speakers (as far as I see it) is that even using a high quality speaker you're still stuck trying to overcome road noise with volume and that's a recipe for hearing loss.

And holy crap, those Q-Jays are tiny.
n_maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #73
Trinity
Byron in Texas

As an additional point of reference for other riders, I have a set of custom made earplug speakers from one of the vendors you can find at bike shows. The plugs are all-day comfortable, don't come dislodged easily and provide tons of ambient noise reduction, even with tunes off. (Very little microphonics from the cord.) Oh, and they're efficient enough to run directly from my 5G iPod without an amp.

IMHO, while these custom phones have very acceptable sound, they admittedly aren't "da bomb" that you might hope if you're spending $180+. (I have my Ety ER4Ps for that... ) To my ears, I'd put their sound signature on par or slightly below the Ety ER6i.

If Tyll generously decides to send me some q-jays for A/B evaluation/testing, I'll let you know how they sound.

YMMV

Trinity screwed with this post 12-14-2007 at 05:09 PM
Old 12-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #74
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Question

This is a great thread. Thanks a lot for sharing your professional knowledge.

I'm not a audiophile by any standards - to me anything that comes out of, say, a Sony ATRAC3 player seems pretty much OK for riding purposes as there is a lot of disturbance (wind noise) that I cannot eliminate completely anyways. To me, the cellphone input is very important, so I cannot use something that is only music oriented (currently using a Starcom1 system).

As helmet speakers are rather bigger, I'd ASSUME that it would be easier to get better sound out of them. Have you tried using ear muffs inside the helmet in place of ear plugs? It would eliminate some bone conduction too. Besides, with a helmet mounted mic/speaker system, there is only ONE thing to connect/disconnect while taking the thing off/putting it on.

As a dentist I have access to addition silicone impression material which I have used to make a pair of custom earplugs. They work just great, and are comfortable too so long as you keep the portion in the pinna (external ear) thin, but for some reason I don't like them (one more thing to put on, perhaps forget to put on?).

Could you shed some light on this/ feasibility?
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #75
Trinity
Byron in Texas

With the right in ear monitor (IEM), whatever brand/price point you choose, you're going to get good sound isolation and FAR better sound than I've personally ever heard from any helmet mounted speakers. Yes, there would be 2 cords (rather than 1) to connect to the typical intercom system, but most folks seem to have figured out adapters, etc. and it doesn't seem to be a big deal.