Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #76
TexasRT
Dual Sport RT

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts

Left to right: Ultimate Ear custom molded UE11; Etymotic ER4P; Etymotic ER6i; Q-Jays; Shure SE310; Shure SE420; Shure SE530.
Putts, thanks for the photo. It speaks volumes!
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #77
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity
With the right in ear monitor (IEM), whatever brand/price point you choose, you're going to get good sound isolation and FAR better sound than I've personally ever heard from any helmet mounted speakers. Yes, there would be 2 cords (rather than 1) to connect to the typical intercom system, but most folks seem to have figured out adapters, etc. and it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I always wear custom molded ear plugs. They kill all the road and wind noise, so it is not a matter of turning up the volume.

The issue is those cables slap around in the wind or you tug on one and then, that IEM
pulls out. Helmet spaekers are the only way for me to get around that, or maybe a nice piece of duct tape.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #78
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTill
The issue is those cables slap around in the wind or you tug on one and then, that IEM
pulls out.
Up around the top of the ears, keeper at the back of the neck, into the jacket and under the arms, route as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn
As helmet speakers are rather bigger, I'd ASSUME that it would be easier to get better sound out of them.
Bad assumption. The best of the ear canal headphones are easily as good as the best of the full sized cans.

Also, doing the hack job on your helmet to install speakers might compromise the safety features of the helmet. Ear canal headphones..

(Guess I'm showing my opinion pretty strongly here. Sorry, that's what I got.)
Old 12-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #79
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,542
Er61 and the iPhone

Just a heads up that the iphone uses a different plug than regular headphones/IEM. Their plug has to insert deeper into the device.

I just got a pair of ER6i's for Xmas and sure enough - they didn't work with the iPhone.

The good news - nothing a sharp knife can't fix. What good is a Xmas present if you can't take a knife to it

Anyway, if you liberally trim the rubber plug away from the top of the connector, it will eventually fit into the iPhone.

All's well that ends well
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #80
gregwire
Gearhead

Oddometer: 16
Merry Christmas to me.

I just fired up my new Q-Jays, ( Christmas gift to myself ). Indeed they are tiny. The fit is very easy after a few tries. They do indeed have good sound attenuation from ambient noise. You can hear conversation if you try, but not with any audio turned on. As far as the sound quality is concerned, I am very impressed. I gave up many years ago on keeping up with the Joneses as far as high end audio is concerned, but these babies are very impressive for the price.

I am going to try to keep them installed for several hours at a time to test out the wearability before bike season returns. I am really quite pleased that I will be able to get quality audio after years of helmet speakers over earplugs.

Thanks for the tip-off on the Q-jays, as I was going to go with ER6i's. I find the earseals of the Q-jays more comfortable than the etymotic earseals that I have.

So far after five hours I have had to replace one filter though. It takes almost no contamination to reduce the sound transmission dramatically. A tad scary until you figure out the problem. I guess I'll carry a few packs of filters and some strong reading glasses to replace them on the road. Otherwise, so far so good. As well, my kids won't be trying them out and gooping them up, aftter the novelty wears off.

Gregwire

Gregwire
gregwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #81
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,794
Tyll...

I'm looking for some earphones to especially help reduce wind noise. I think the I'll go the q-jays route for sound quality, but what about wind noise reduction?

Thanks,
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #82
n_maher
lacking adventure...

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc
I'm looking for some earphones to especially help reduce wind noise. I think the I'll go the q-jays route for sound quality, but what about wind noise reduction?

Thanks,
The passive noise attenuation of most in-ear monitors will do wonders for reducing wind noise and the fatigue associated with it.
n_maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #83
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc
Sorry, mate, don't know how I missed you post; and thanks Nate!

The q-Jays will get you about 23dB of attenuation----basically what yellow-foamy ear plugs will get you. Much better than noise-cancelling and sealed cans. These type of headphones are the best way to get sound isolation.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #84
plenth
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cheers for the great thread, itís exactly what Iíve been looking for.

I want a pair of IEMs for use in connection with my autocom system (with ipod and phone). Iíll also use them just with my ipod when not on the bike.

I had been looking at the Shure SE series, Westone UM2s and the q-JAYS.

Autocom suggest not exceeding 32 Ohms for their system (the impedance of the supplied speakers), so that would pretty much exclude the q-JAYS, as they are rated at 39 Ohms, which is a shame, as they would appear to have the lowest profile, and therefore I would expect are the most comfortable under a helmet.

Incidentally, how are people finding the q-JAYS after a bit of use? It doesnít seem that there is much to pull on when extracting them, do you end up pulling the wire, can it sustain that activity (the wire looks more fragile compared to that of the Shures)?

Another biking website swears by the Westones, rating the Shures a close second. As I can get the equivalent Shure SE420s (22 Ohms) much cheaper than the UM2s (27 Ohms), I was erring on that side. My only concern is that the part of the IEMs that remains in the concha look like they might protrude a little too much and would be uncomfortable with extended use under a helmet, pressing against the side of the ear. The SE210s (26 Ohms) and SE310s (28 Ohms) are smaller, but I would prefer dual armatures. Does anyone have any feedback on this issue?

Thank you
plenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #85
hANNAbONE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Laugh

stunningly good..!!

ULTIMATE EARS SUPER PRO FI 5

??did you order your RADIATION STICKERS yet??
hANNAbONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #86
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
+1

The only problem with the Ultimate Ears for cycling is their size - way too much protrusion from the ear! As for sound quality, I've compared them against Shure & Ety, and UE 5 for me is it!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #87
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenth
Autocom suggest not exceeding 32 Ohms for their system (the impedance of the supplied speakers), so that would pretty much exclude the q-JAYS, as they are rated at 39 Ohms, which is a shame, as they would appear to have the lowest profile, and therefore I would expect are the most comfortable under a helmet.
I really wouldn't worry about the headphone impedance too much. 39 Ohm shouldn't be a problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenth
Incidentally, how are people finding the q-JAYS after a bit of use? It doesnít seem that there is much to pull on when extracting them, do you end up pulling the wire, can it sustain that activity (the wire looks more fragile compared to that of the Shures)?
It's still early on (they've only been out a few months) but we are now beginning to see that the Q-Jays filters clog very easily. So they aren't a good headphone if you're going to be sweating. The cables seem to be doing fine so far. I still think they're the ticket for under helmets.

Quote:
Another biking website swears by the Westones, rating the Shures a close second. As I can get the equivalent Shure SE420s (22 Ohms)
I don't find the the Westones to be very good sounding. I'd prefer the Shures. The 420s are a little bigger than the others Shures, my guess is that it would depend on your helmet and ears wether it's too big or not. I'd say the 420s are borderline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE
stunningly good..!!
ULTIMATE EARS SUPER PRO FI 5
The Super Fi 5 Pro is a good sounding IEM but the ergonomics are pretty bad. The tip is big and they stick straight out of the ears. They do have some of the best sound for the price out there though. If you are interested in these headphones, wait a few days and then start checking our site; we've got a big backstock of them at the moment and will be clearing a bunch out. I think the sale price will be quite low.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #88
plenth
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cheers Tyll, much appreciated
plenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #89
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,264
Do you all really think the Q-Jays are worth the extra 100$'s over the er6i's?

Notice that the 6i's in this photo have the large rubber plug, but you can also use them with the small plug, which is basically the first two segments of the rubber plug, with the last large segment removed. That's how I use them and they fit super. Can remove my helmet without them coming loose. I also run the wire up over my ear like the Shure models, and have little of the microphoning through the wire.

the 6i's can be found for 70$ on Amazon. Well worth the price!

Amazon Link
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #90
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Do you all really think the Q-Jays are worth the extra 100$'s over the er6i's?
Worth is sometimes not easy to quantify broadly; kinda depends on how much you care about sound quality, comfort, etc.

I do think the Q-Jays are moderately better sounding than the 6i, and I've got quite a bit more confidence that it will fit well under a helmet. But the 6i has been around for a while and being quite mature they do offer quite a bit of performance for what the can be had for. I certainly think your comments are legit.