Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #91
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts
I do think the Q-Jays are moderately better sounding than the 6i, and I've got quite a bit more confidence that it will fit well under a helmet...

I'm amazed. I'm not saying the Q-Jays aren't small, but when inserted properly the 6i's don't touch my helmet either when I'm putting it on or taking it off.

Of course, I insert them like I would my regular ear plugs...

And use the small, vs the large plug..

They're nearly as comfortable as my foam ear plugs..

anyway, pardon the hijack.. I'm no audiophile, not searching for the most perfect sound, just something that's good while riding a bike..
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #92
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
And use the small, vs the large plug..

They're nearly as comfortable as my foam ear plugs..
anyway, pardon the hijack.. I'm no audiophile, not searching for the most perfect sound, just something that's good while riding a bike..
No hijack, it's good info, I don't think I've spent much time with the smaller tips, they look just fine.

Thanks for the pix and your input.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #93
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,390
I gotta agree with Gramps. My ER6i's are the most comfortable under helmet earphones I've owned and I've tried everything out there from custom molded ones to helmet speakers..

The key is moisten the mushroom thingy, pull on your right ear with your left arm (over your head), and insert it so it forms a good seal. With the music turned off, I find it even quieter than -33 db earplugs.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:05 AM   #94
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,102
You have to find an earbud that fits in "your" ear canal. There is an amazing difference in size & shape of the ear canal from person to person, and sometimes from right to left ear of the same person.
I've seen a number of people mention discomfort under their helmets, but no problem without the helmet. This is something you can alleviate in most cases. Helmet manufacturers attempt to make a helmet quieter by adding foam padding to isolate your ear from wind noise. If this padding causes your ear to deflect it can "rock" the earplug and cause a pressure point where the plug extends into the ear canal. This is easily remedied by pulling down the helmet liner and removing some of the foam rubber padding from around the ear area. This also works for pressure from eyeglass temples.
CAUTION: DO NOT REMOVE OR OTHERWISE MODIFY THE STYROFOAM SHOCK ABSORBTION MATERIAL INSIDE YOUR HELMET.

HTH
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #95
GeoDiablo
compulsive troublemaker

Oddometer: 2,828
love this place

Well done Mr. Putts, I always enjoy the work you do here. A great head-phone site as well, very informative with good writing.

To this point I've only used earbuds with my iPod, I'm looking forward to trying out a better technology. I'd thought about trying out some sort of "helmet speakers", until I read this thread. The point against in-helmet speakers was well made. I'm convinced. Think I'm gonna have to try a set of the Etymotic ER-6i phones. Thanks .
Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #96
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,787
I've been sick as a dog all week. Haven't left the house until today since Tuesday.

Too motion sick to look at the computer for long, so movies are out... been listening to music a ton. At first over my stereo system, which is a cost conscious but reasonably good sounding 2 channel setup (parasound and old high end JBL's). Then, to have control in bed, on my ER-6's and Ipod... I'd forgotten how beautifully precise music is delivered over good headphones. So many minor details come through that it would take a really high end system to recreate for a whole room.

The real problem with listening this way is that I get all antsy about mastering quality, and music I enjoy otherwise becomes irksome.

Anyway, a big thanks to Putts for putting this thread together. When I free up some sheckels, it's on my list to upgrade headphones- I've never gotten totally comfortable in the Etymotics, an hour or two and they start bothering me.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #97
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
In ear speakers

Pleth, great thread, appreciate the info, have you ever listened to any of the custom ear mold speaker systems available from hearing aid labs ? I have a tin ear and wondered if you had ever tried them and what your opinion is of their sound quality.
Your comments on wind noise being transmitted via the nose, jaw, etc was very interesting, while working with in ear speakers and in ear microphones we came up against the same problem. The wind noise was so loud that vox systems were activated without a person speaking.(the secret service and police departments use this type of mike and speaker) but it does not work on a bike.)
I agree with your impressions of the Etymotic ER6s's the only problem I had was with them going out and then not being able to repair them. Do you have the ablity to repair them ? Thanks again for the information.
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #98
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
have you ever listened to any of the custom ear mold speaker systems available from hearing aid labs ? I have a tin ear and wondered if you had ever tried them and what your opinion is of their sound quality.
The Ultimate Ears UE11 and Sensaphonics Pro 2X are just outstanding; there are some (sorry don't know brands) that are custom molds around earbuds; generally, they just suck; and there are a few in between I've heard that are good companies trying hard, but are not quite up to the level of UE and Sensaphonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
I agree with your impressions of the Etymotic ER6s's the only problem I had was with them going out and then not being able to repair them. Do you have the ablity to repair them ?
No, we can't repair them; but Etymotic might be able to; you'd have to call them.

I want to add here that I have done some double checking with the folks downstairs and they pretty consistantly say that the Ety 6i really isn't up to snuff sonically--- too thin sounding (not enough bass) is the consensus. Those guys aren't bass heads, by the way, the 6i is thin sounding compared to the current state of the art. So I have to say that though the price is good, and the sound quality may be impressive to those that aren't familiar with the current offering of cans out there, better can be had at a reasonable additional cost, in my onethingimayactuallybequalifiedtotalkauthoritative lyabout opinion.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #99
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE
I've got these......they're comfy and are awesome sound.!
We've sold those and they do sound excellent, but many people have a very hard time getting them into their ears as the tips are markedly larger than most others; they had among our highest return rates. And they do stick out significantly from the side of your ears, so I doubt they would work under a helmet.

jcolombo screwed with this post 02-20-2008 at 10:49 PM
Putts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #100
SWONUT
Certified Nut

Oddometer: 237
Another trick

After losing a few seals in the ear canal, I dabbed a LITTLE superglue gel on the post and slid the silicon piece on. It keeps it in place and I don't have to fish out the needle nose pliers to fish the silicon piece out of my ear.

I've also heard that neosporin makes a good lube for inserting the plugs if you are going to wear them all day for several days, but I just use the lick and stick method.

Hope this helps!
SWONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #101
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWONUT
I've also heard that neosporin makes a good lube for inserting the plugs if you are going to wear them all day for several days, but I just use the lick and stick method.
Me too. But the proper stuff is:

Oto-ease. It's kinda like runny KY jelly with a bit of anti-bacterial in it. You can probably get it at a hearing aid place. I've used it, but don't bother as a rule. I usually try to use water; often will breifly grab some ice out of the cooler or cup to wet my fingers and use that to wet the tips; but will lick and stick without hesitation if without water.

Neosporin isn't a bad idea though, I might just use that sparingly from time too. Remember always use these lubricants sparingly because if you get them on the filter it will shut down the sound, and you will have to replace the filter.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #102
JStrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
First, thanks for all the great info.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see any comment on the Monitors with custom molds. I have custom plugs from here and love them:

http://www.earinc.com/

To me the comfort and fit was well worth the cost. I am considering the monitors and was wondering if anyone had any comments?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #103
Bravo Sierra
Plan What Plan?

Oddometer: 17
Sound is nice

First you have provided a very good informational page, THANKS!

Apparently I have small ear canals, not that the rest of the ear is small, I have tried multiple ear buds or what ever you call them, insert into the ear, but they will not stay in my ear when I put on a helmet. OK I havenít spent over $40 on a set. I use Arai helmets that are tight and fitted correctly. The ear gets compressed when you put on the helmet and pull out the ear things. I donít know if itís my ears or my cheapness that is the problem. So will the Q-Jays go in small ear canals and stay in place even with a properly tight helmet? I really want to have sound in my ears, differently locally and distance, but every option I have looked at is bogus. I have been steered toward custom molded ear plugs with some sort of sound but Iím skeptical.

I guess quality sound would be nice but something other than earplugs would be nice.

Bob
Bravo Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #104
orgthtogod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Big Ear Inc...

WOW, great thread...

I only wish I'd stumbled on to it sooner... I've never had real great success with ANY in ear ear phones. My ear canal's are apparently a little small so, I finally took the plunge and got fitted for a set of Big Ear BE-1C's.
BE-1C

Overview

Our most popular stereo plug! Made to reduce the effects of outside noise. Designed for use under a helmet. Manufactured with the black outside shell, a clear inner body made from our soft acoustic vinyl material and a single transducer built into the ear piece. Made with a 50" cable, hardwired and double reinforcement toward the bottom of the ear piece and a 3.5mm stereo plug for interface with source.
Balanced armature drivers with 35Hz - 16kHz frequency response.
Acoustic separation - approximately 18 db
Sensitivity ~ 112 dB/mW
Limited One Year Warranty

Do you have any user experience with these at all putts? I'm curious to know your opinions or first hand knowledge of their product? I paid a pretty penny for them and should receive them this week (hopefully!!!). I just hope they sound good for the money I paid???

I was able to try a pair out when I was fitted (they were pretty good) but I've never tried any of the other favorites mentioned here: Ety's, Shure's (not the SE series), etc....

I do own a pair of Shure E2c's but they DON'T work with my helmet (can't get the helmet on over them). They sound great, but... what to do???

Anyway have you had a listen to any of the Big Ear stuff and if so, what's your 2cents worth???

THANKS!!!
orgthtogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #105
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 698
You want Q-Jays, you no get: Swedes not maken em, bork bork bork!

I just sadly cancelled my order, placed (I think) 1st week in February. I'd been hoping to get them for my Spring Break X-country ride. But they were backordered from day 1 and I just pinged Headroom today. Latest news from land of midnight sun = maybe sometime in next two weeks, maybe not, meanwhile chill out with some meatballs.

I'm bummed because I was sold on these, but will now definitely have to go and research & buy something else althogther, and hope I can get them in time for trip.
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote