Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #946
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood
How did you mount it? Velcro? Let me know how you like it at all speeds & gears.

Jesse
Mileage as well please.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #947
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,594
Mount it? Well the tank holds it in place pretty firmly.

next time I have the tank off I'll probably Velcro it in place but with the tank on, it ain't going anywhere.

Mileage should be pretty easy, I keep a spreadsheet of mileage so after a few tanks I should have a good idea of how it affects the fuel economy. But it should work out to about a 6% increase in fuel consumption.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #948
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
Mount it? Well the tank holds it in place pretty firmly.

next time I have the tank off I'll probably Velcro it in place but with the tank on, it ain't going anywhere.

Mileage should be pretty easy, I keep a spreadsheet of mileage so after a few tanks I should have a good idea of how it affects the fuel economy. But it should work out to about a 6% increase in fuel consumption.
Found my consumption has actually improved with the Boosterplug. Had an FRK previously which really is just a fixed resistor across the loom.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #949
The Jerk OP

Had a bit of a longer ride yesterday evening and this morning including some highway time and some slow traffic. With the BoosterPlug, it seems that it's much easier to ride smoothly in slow or stop-and-go traffic. That sudden kick from the on/off throttle action is removed. There is still the normal driveline lash that any bike has but by smoothing out the throttle action, you notice it much less.

It feels like high-gear/low-rpm roll on is much improved, you don't get the sense of lugging the engine.

Transitioning to part throttle from off throttle is much better, you don't get that slam of the power suddenly kicking in. And doing it while leaned over is much better, it's harder to upset the bike when you come on throttle because that slam has been smoothed out.

It feels like the BoosterPlug has also smoothed out my downshifting; for some reason I'm able to rev match much better and thus downshift more smoothly.

So far very satisfied. Will advise about fuel consumption when I have some data.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #950
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
Had a bit of a longer ride yesterday evening and this morning including some highway time and some slow traffic. With the BoosterPlug, it seems that it's much easier to ride smoothly in slow or stop-and-go traffic. That sudden kick from the on/off throttle action is removed. There is still the normal driveline lash that any bike has but by smoothing out the throttle action, you notice it much less.

It feels like high-gear/low-rpm roll on is much improved, you don't get the sense of lugging the engine.

Transitioning to part throttle from off throttle is much better, you don't get that slam of the power suddenly kicking in. And doing it while leaned over is much better, it's harder to upset the bike when you come on throttle because that slam has been smoothed out.

It feels like the BoosterPlug has also smoothed out my downshifting; for some reason I'm able to rev match much better and thus downshift more smoothly.

So far very satisfied. Will advise about fuel consumption when I have some data.

No change in highway speed performance?

Jesse

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #951
The Jerk OP

Quote:
No change in highway speed performance?

Jesse

Well it was rainy so I didn't go nuts. Aside from the aforementioned smoothness and sense of subtly quicker acceleration I didn't notice too much difference in steady state cruising.

BTW you're welcome to take it for a spin if you want.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #952
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Booster Plug

If someone wants to only add a slip on canister and do the air box modifications is this a good alternative to a Tune Boy? Are there any comparisons of the performance between the two and how much is mileage effected? Is the throttle snatch smoothed out completely?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #953
wanabe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Question speed tiger??

my buddy just bought the 2010 speed triple AE . . . quite possibly the most fun i have ever had on 2 wheels!

So, at the risk of sounding stupid . . . what do you have to do to get the tiger to pull like that?

I know the speed 3 is small, lighter, more nimble . . . but it feels like its got a lot more power! The motors are the same - Right?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #954
Scrotie
Chuck U Farley

Oddometer: 1,657
I just finished some electrical upgrades and added a few gizmos, incl. Centech, P-3 brake lights, fog lights, and a Stebel Nautilus compact. The Stebel is a pretty common upgrade, but I thought I'd share my version.

First, I split the horn from the compressor, epoxied a new hose connection to the horn, and mounted the compressor to the sub-frame under the seat. I ran a hose along the left side of the engine to the horn, which I attached at the stock location (yes, I like zip-ties ). To make this work, one should use a thick hose that is designed to handle some pressure - I used a windshield wiper fluid hose - then there is virtually no delay when pressing the horn button.

Works like a charm, and is very effective.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #955
wanabe
Adventurer

suspension

Quote:
Here's a couple slideshows of the process:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerlbau...7623633550092/

This covers installing new fork springs in the Tiger 1050, and installing a new shock.

HTH,

Jesse
wiseblood . . .how do you like the suspension upgrade and any reason you didnt go with the ohlins model???
Old 04-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #956
2000tj
(oYo)

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro0853
I just finished some electrical upgrades and added a few gizmos, incl. Centech, P-3 brake lights, fog lights, and a Stebel Nautilus compact. The Stebel is a pretty common upgrade, but I thought I'd share my version.

First, I split the horn from the compressor, epoxied a new hose connection to the horn, and mounted the compressor to the sub-frame under the seat. I ran a hose along the left side of the engine to the horn, which I attached at the stock location (yes, I like zip-ties ). To make this work, one should use a thick hose that is designed to handle some pressure - I used a windshield wiper fluid hose - then there is virtually no delay when pressing the horn button.

Works like a charm, and is very effective.

Scro,

You like zip ties becuse you are more refined than those on the duct tape band wagon! I'm with you.

As my pseudo introduction here I thought I'd share my version of that same install. The compressor is scooted about 6 inches further forward so that it is completely under the tank to conserve the space infront of the ECU (for the Ohlins i'll never buy) and the horn itself is tucked under the fairing for a completely stealth install. I retained the stock horn and have a nice two-tone result. I saved a bit of labor by finding hose that fit over the compressor barb and inside the horn opening without modification. Both sides are slip/press fit with a simple hose clamp on the compressor barb.

2000tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #957
2000tj
(oYo)

Oddometer: 6
Now for my first question:

Is it possible to mod the first post in this thread to add an index linked to various pages/posts in the thread?

I've viewed my share of 100+ page technical threads and found this to be a common theme amongst the more successful resources.

If possible a few ideas for links would include the following:

* 12k maint. walkthrough
* Shift linkage troubleshooting
* Suspension upgrade walkthrough
* Trax bag info
* I'd say you could link to buffeting info but then that would just look like this >>> Tiger1050
2000tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #958
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,667
nice reference area as described on tiger1050.com
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #959
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe
wiseblood . . .how do you like the suspension upgrade and any reason you didnt go with the ohlins model???

Suspension upgrade is great. Tiger is tight, like a sport bike now (with a bit more travel). No more bottoming out -- something which I could do with the old suspension whenever I wanted to. No more wallowing in turns: I can lean as far as I like, and I haven't scraped the exhaust yet. (Which is what used to happen.)

I didn't go with Ohlins mostly because (A) respringing & valving an OEM shock was much cheaper, and (B) RaceTech was custom designing this for me, so I didn't need the whole remote reservoir thing.

I'm not a suspension expert, and my experience is pretty limited, but I think I'm getting 80% of what anyone would want (which is 100% of what I want ) for about 40% of the cost.

Total cost was about $500. This includes shock rebuild and new fork springs, plus tools needed for the forks. I sold my old shock for the same I bought a used OEM shock, so that was a wash. (And, I had no downtime, which was great.)

Jesse

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #960
wanabe
Adventurer

Quote:
Suspension upgrade is great. Tiger is tight, like a sport bike now (with a bit more travel). No more bottoming out -- something which I could do with the old suspension whenever I wanted to. No more wallowing in turns: I can lean as far as I like, and I haven't scraped the exhaust yet. (Which is what used to happen.)

I didn't go with Ohlins mostly because (A) respringing & valving an OEM shock was much cheaper, and (B) RaceTech was custom designing this for me, so I didn't need the whole remote reservoir thing.

I'm not a suspension expert, and my experience is pretty limited, but I think I'm getting 80% of what anyone would want (which is 100% of what I want ) for about 40% of the cost.

Total cost was about $500. This includes shock rebuild and new fork springs, plus tools needed for the forks. I sold my old shock for the same I bought a used OEM shock, so that was a wash. (And, I had no downtime, which was great.)

Jesse
Wow! that is cheap . . . i think ohlins rear suspension cost around $1,100.00 just for the part

I am 6'3" and tip the scales at 235 . . . so I know what you mean about "bottoming" out suspension . . . I was really hammering the other day on a country road with some bumps and twists . . . that bik gets a little looser than it should! I have to admit, its a little dissapointing